No announcement yet.

Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update. I don't know if daisy is guarding our new babies or is waiting on one to fall out so she can have a snack

http://youtu.be/gT22_mFbc7U

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      I got some freezer space he can borrow [emoji16]
      I have plenty of freezer space, thanks for the offer though!

I thought I had 50 little birds that I hatched, but I sold 20 today and still have 35 left.

I’m thinking the guy I bought the eggs from threw in a few extra eggs, I never counted them.

Comment

My birds that I bought back in June started laying on the 4th of July, I put 88 eggs in the incubator yesterday. Hope this quail thing don’t get out of hand!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
          My birds that I bought back in June started laying on the 4th of July, I put 88 eggs in the incubator yesterday. Hope this quail thing don’t get out of hand!
          It can get out of hand quick brother. We've got about 30 in a grow out cage, about 40 in a Walmart tote brooder, and another 50 eggs in the incubator. Going to try to fill the freezer in the next month or two

Semper Fi

Comment

Is there any chance they would raise their babies if you left the eggs in wit them?

Comment

Originally posted by Big H View Post
              Is there any chance they would raise their babies if you left the eggs in wit them?
              I'm thinking all of the mothering instinct is bred out of them. But I don't know anyone who has enough room to let them nest. Try to maximize space with as many birds as you can in one cage. Much easier to throw them in an incubator and hatch out new ones.

Semper Fi

Comment

I'm thinking all of the mothering instinct is bred out of them. But I don't know anyone who has enough room to let them nest. Try to maximize space with as many birds as you can in one cage. Much easier to throw them in an incubator and hatch out new ones.

Semper Fi
                Kinda what I figured but was curious to know for sure

Thanks

Comment

How they quail doing chew man? Need updates on how they taste- too

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                    How they quail doing chew man? Need updates on how they taste- too
                    They're doing great. We've actually been selling a lot of fertilized eggs and eating a lot of quail meat. We cooked four last night with some boudin and it was very good. We like them better than chicken but we are diving into raising meat chickens as well. Working on a coup right now.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

A YouTube short I just made ..

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Went ahead and made a longer video for those of you interested in the setup...

Comment

Ok, thanks for the video I am getting interested in getting quail

Comment

Got these yesterday. Earlier than last year
                            Attached Files

Comment

Liked and subscribed!

Comment

Chew, how do you keep them warm in the winter, and keep the water lines from freezing? Any problem with snakes or varmints trying to get them?

Comment

Working...
                                X