Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nilgai with a 308?

whatcha think?

Im thinking of going to a 165 grain solid copper bullet. But, what do yall thing is the best 308 bullet for niggai?

I used a 308 with nolser accubonds and killed 2 wildebeest and 1 kudu with it. Almost full weight retention and pass through on all shots. If that's what you have I'd say shoot it and keep shots close with a bonded bullet.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

The first Nilgai bull I killed was with my .300 Win Mag and I shot it in the heart and he only stumbled about 30yrds and died…and I still wish I had a larger rifle for those beasts. I highly recommend a .338 or .375 H&H.

Those things are tough. Don’t under gun. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
        The first Nilgai bull I killed was with my .300 Win Mag and I shot it in the heart and he only stumbled about 30yrds and died…and I still wish I had a larger rifle for those beasts. I highly recommend a .338 or .375 H&H.

Those things are tough. Don’t under gun. Just my opinion.
        Sounds like you had plenty of gun…

Comment

My buddy just got back from a nilgi hunt and shot a bull with a 308 with federal fusions Ran 30 yards and died

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
            whatcha think?

Im thinking of going to a 165 grain solid copper bullet. But, what do yall thing is the best 308 bullet for niggai?
            Do it. they're not bullet proof.

Comment

Just talking off the cuff and never hunted them but I know some folks who bow hunt them and have had success, I’d think anything from a 270 on up would do the job.

Comment

It will kill

Comment

Use the 308. Do your part & it will kill.

Comment

While I personally would want more gun, keep shots at a reasonable distance with a well constructed bullet and it will kill just fine. I would suggest Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubond, Partition, etc. with the TTSX being my first choice.

Comment

Went on a guided hunt this weekend. The guide wanted my son to use his 450 bushmaster. Dropped the nilgai in its tracks. It was awesome!! My son said the 450 didn’t have a terrible kick.

Comment

You can kill them with darn near anything. Stick and a string and .243 and up.

However, a lot of guides won’t take bow hunters and have a minimum caliber requirement. That’s not because you can’t kill them. It just makes recovery that much more difficult. If you’ve never been in that brush county, it gets thick in a hurry and Nilgai are prone to weak blood trails.

Big caliber, bigger hole, more likelihood for a recovery when you get the shakes and make a less than perfect shot.

Your .308 should be fine, but if you have access to a larger bore rifle, I’d borrow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You’ll be fine. We shoot them with 257 Wby mags 110 grain soft points. Hit them low or high in the shoulder and they don’t go far. That little bullet does a number internally. We like to keep the shots under 200.

Comment

Shot placement is key. You do your part, the 308 will do it's.

Comment

I used .308 on both of mine with winchester ballistic silvertips, both were shot at the Kennedy and this is the bullet they shoot out of their loaner guns usually. Good luck and I'd practice shooting off of sticks.

Comment

Working...
                              X