Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Neck shot I assume?

They are very tough OP. Yes a 308 will work. The point of a bigger gun is to get em down quick. They don’t bleed much. Can run a long way in sone very thick country with marginal shots. “My daughter killed one with a 223”. They forget to tell you it was a neck shot lol. Break their front end down and they won’t go far.

Lots of folks play with fire and just haven’t been burned. Put odds in your favor any way you can. Good luck! They are fun to hunt.

I will add that we all want to make perfect shots. And that many small calibers can do it. Just know your limits on what you can shoot best and limits on the shots you take.
    What he said…
    Shoot it in the shoulder

Good skilling MrSkeeter. I look forward to the LDPs.

Comment

Hunted the Kennedy Ranch about ten years ago. Our guide recommended 30.06 with 180 gr minimum. Some beautiful deer down there
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Masmak; 12-06-2022, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Then gogo gadget necks lol

Comment

I like Barnes bullets but not in lower velocity cartridges. Barnes TSX and TTsX bullets like speed; the more the better they perform. The would probably work ok out to 150, maybe 200 yards but then they are getting too close to the low velocity expansion threshold.

I would lean more toward Accubond, Partition or maybe Swift A gram if you can find those.

Or even better yet, take a bigger gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sure hope the old Rem Corelokt will work in 338, yall making me nervous talking about all these fancy bullets. Rem is literally the only ammo available I could find after hours of searching online

Comment

I shot mine with. 338 lap and it did not exit here is a picture of the 280 grn bullet good luck your going to need it with a .308 ......
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                Sure hope the old Rem Corelokt will work in 338, yall making me nervous talking about all these fancy bullets. Rem is literally the only ammo available I could find after hours of searching online
                Send it !
                A high volume and speed like a 338 should not be a problem
                I have killed a few with 303 British 180gr corelokt and had a hunting buddy shooting a 8mm Remington mag with Core-Lokt
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-07-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

My fiancé killed her bull three weeks ago down on the King Ranch with a .308. She was shooting 165gr Barnes TSX and shot dead center into the shoulder. It was a monster of a bull and only made it about 25yds before he went down.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                  X