No announcement yet.

South Texas Management Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Mexico but we have taken a few 150+ “management” deer this year. They’re not my pics to share though. Biggest I believe is a 160” 8. This one was my “cull”. This isn’t normal every year though just had quite a few to take off the feed bill this year. With 8 of us on 8000ac 150” is just not considered our trophy deer on that property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Management is just a word, nothing more, nothing less
      10 year old less than 150 inches is a management buck on a great south Texas ranch

Comment

You would be amazed at how many times some of these ranches have a guest/hunter that will pass up big 8 points (145"+) because they are just an 8 point and would rather shoot a mid 130's 10 point, because its a 10 point.

I dont consider a 150"+ 8 as a management buck, but sometimes if somebody is allowed 1 trophy, those type of deer are too "small" for a trophy but too big for a cull....so they get lumped into the management category, or they never get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
          You would be amazed at how many times some of these ranches have a guest/hunter that will pass up big 8 points (145"+) because they are just an 8 point and would rather shoot a mid 130's 10 point, because its a 10 point.

I dont consider a 150"+ 8 as a management buck, but sometimes if somebody is allowed 1 trophy, those type of deer are too "small" for a trophy but too big for a cull....so they get lumped into the management category, or they never get shot.

Those people should be tar and feathered. Haha

Comment

Those people should be tar and feathered. Haha
            haha I agree, I was on a ranch last week and the owners nephew brought out a "guest" to hunt. That guy shot a 140" buck in frio county and the next morning at breakfast he asked "that buck that I shot, was that a whitetail or a muledeer".........some peoples kids

Comment

I had two hunters pass on a mid 140s nine point this morning. Wasn’t even going to be part of their trophy hunt just a bonus management since were behind the 8 ball on those. They didn’t even hunt this evening, stayed at camp and drank beer so I caught bass instead. By the looks of it they won’t be hunting in the morning either.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                I had two hunters pass on a mid 140s nine point this morning. Wasn’t even going to be part of their trophy hunt just a bonus management since were behind the 8 ball on those. They didn’t even hunt this evening, stayed at camp and drank beer so I caught bass instead. By the looks of it they won’t be hunting in the morning either.
                I like bass fishing and 140s

Comment

The bigger the trophies, the bigger the “management” bucks get. When you are shooting consistent management deer in the 150+ every year, you are doing something right. Lots of ranches out there that do it and I’m excited to see some pics!

Comment

#guidelife

Wake up sir your deer is here🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                      #guidelife

Wake up sir your deer is here🤣🤣
                      Exactly. Two weeks ago I had a guy face timing his entire call list on a Nilgai hunt the entire time. Luckily on the last day we found a dumb blind cow and he was able to tell the group to hold on while he tries to shoot this animal. God was on our side that morning.

Comment

Exactly. Two weeks ago I had a guy face timing his entire call list on a Nilgai hunt the entire time. Luckily on the last day we found a dumb blind cow and he was able to tell the group to hold on while he tries to shoot this animal. God was on our side that morning.

Haha

Worst are father son duos, dad knows everything bc he hunted twice in the last ten years, drinks bourbon Like a fish because he never gets away from the wife, snores like a bear in the stand, smells like a bar, argues with kid entire time, kid shoots biggest deer of his life and dad won’t mount it because it’s only 8 points 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                          If someone is shooting a 159" deer as a "management" deer in a native herd in SoTx I would have to have to have a serious conversation with them about what the heck they think they are doing.

Only people that I can legitimately think that would be doing that with a true native herd would be someone with a LOT of country doing a large scale herd reduction to super low densities.

Only other scenarios i can think of would involve non-native deer.

What do y’all do when you have an older 10pt with 8” 2’s and 3’s and 4” 4’s, decent mass and beams and several considerably bigger bucks coming to the same feed. That 10, even at 160” is a mgmt buck….

Comment

We have several “management” deer in the 140’s, and I’ve killed a few in the last 3 years. We let deer get old and we consider trophies to be 150+, but the ranch rules call anything 140+ and 6 years old or older a trophy. We’ve consistently shot 7-8 year old deer the last 4 years. Low fence, native deer, and we feed A LOT. That being said, for our pasture, in the part of the state we hunt in, any deer in the 150’s and 7 or 8+ should be a management deer, once the pasture gets where it needs to be. Long response, but it’s all relative to where you hunt, how disciplined you are at letting deer walk, and whether your neighbors are on the same page or not.

Comment

146” management buck

147” management buck (prior to broken brows)

Comment

Originally posted by PittBoss View Post
                                What do y’all do when you have an older 10pt with 8” 2’s and 3’s and 4” 4’s, decent mass and beams and several considerably bigger bucks coming to the same feed. That 10, even at 160” is a mgmt buck….

Build another feed pen.

Comment

Working...
                                X