No announcement yet.

Wood lathe dos and don’ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! That’s exactly the things I was wondering. Is there anyone whose ever had a tool yanked outta their hand?

Comment

The safest thing you can do is ensure your tools are sharp. If you can't shave with it, it isn't sharp enough. The lathe is just one piece of the set. A quality cutting tool will run you 75 to 150 depending on the size. May be best to invest in carbide cutting tools where you only replace the ends after all sides have been exhausted.

You are going to want to get tools to sharpen your tools also, and those can be expensive. It just all adds up.

My first project was a 36", 40 oz bat, lol. I made it on a Sunday morning and used it that afternoon. First at bat with it I swung and missed. You could not check swing this behemoth, once you started, you were swinging. The 2nd time I swung I hit a grandslam with it. That was a rewarding feeling.

Comment

I have a large Jet that runs off 110, keeps tools sharp and look into carbide. Been using carbide and its not traditional but a bit easier than sharpening and angles needed for a beginner. Face Shield, cant not express this enough. I have had some catches and some blow ups that might of been real bad if it wasn't for a little plastic face shield. Thats all I got, when you get in the groove and your make chips its A LOT of fun.

Comment

Kind of depends what your budget is. I've been turning for a couple of years and just have a cheap small one from harbor freight and it does okay. I'd like to upgrade some time but a better lathe is on the bottom of my tool upgrade list. I'm am still learning and FAR from an expert but if your ever close to Humble and want to come try mine give me a holler. I'll show you how it works if you don't know. It's a lot of fun and kind of adicting!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Delta that can do more than I'll ever outgrow. YouTube is your friend, there's all kind of videos that will shorten your learning curve. Get what you can and get started. It's completely different from any type of woodworking. Your holding the tool instead of the wood. It takes some learning but you can do so much with them. Good luck.

Comment

Been watching some YouTube videos and the resin projects are amazing. Saw one guy wearing a helmet with a full face shield.

Comment

This is a thread on here, might help some.

This is a link to the Houston area chapter of American Association of Woodturners, reach out to them they should have a mentor program and perhaps someone local to you that would be willing to help you get started. https://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/

If your ever up around Belton/Temple area I'd be glad to have you over to my shop and introduce you to turning with some basic lessons, hands on turning and more information than you can remember. I'll also send you a PM.

Comment

Lots of good advice already posted.
                  Jet, Rikon, some of the Delta are good; some Grizzlies, and shop foxs are ok. If your not ready to "jump off the deep end" and buy full sized then look for a Midi, not Mini, with a stand. Try and find one with a 1 hp motor and electronic variable speed. Don't buy any lathe that isn't a 1'x 8tpi or 1 1/4'X 8tpi spindle with a tail stock taper of MT2, these are the most common sie for any adapters you might want to buy in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X