Protein feeder pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder pen

I'm starting protein this year when season is over. Have a good location for the pen but unfortunately as of now, most places are out of stock on panels. Curious if anyone has used field fence? Pigs are a problem so barbed wire won't work. Also have cows so it needs to be stout.
    I currently have some cattle panels, but not enough. I've heard that some cut them in half and they work fine. That would only be 2'high! Not sure about that. Would adding a strand of barbed wire above it work?

If you use field fence you’ll need to be able really stretch it tight and have some very solid corner posts

Comment

Wait for stock panels / fencing has to be pulled tight with some great corner post and possibly cemented ….

Comment

I would just wait. Panels should be available by the time you need them. I’d also use barbed wire in conjunction with the panels. My pen was built to keep cows and hogs out. I have a strand at the very bottom, the middle, and the top of the panel. Without barbed wire the cows will lean on the panels and bend them.

Comment

Protein feeder pen

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I would just wait. Panels should be available by the time you need them. I’d also use barbed wire in conjunction with the panels. My pen was built to keep cows and hogs out. I have a strand at the very bottom, the middle, and the top of the panel. Without barbed wire the cows will lean on the panels and bend them.

Listen to this man, he has more feed pens scattered around texas than whataburger!
          I too started running barbwire around the bottom for pigs and it’s stopped them from rooting it up. I’m currently building a new feed pen where I cut the panels in half. I’ll post up some pictures when it’s done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Protein feeder pen

I’d either wait on the panels either new or after season when folks get off leases in January and start selling stuff.

But if you have trees in your area you want your protein, you can use field fence. The trees can be your anchor post to stretch the fence with. We have several feed fence pens with corn, protein and water in them on our place. They are big pens and do well against cows and goats if you build them right and tight. The gates are made from a panel but the rest of the pens is field fence

Comment

Protein feeder pen

Here’s a good pic of one of our corn pens that we just replaced the gate on . Widened it with a full panel. Notice we used angled tpost for the corner bracing for the gates. You can wire it in yourself or they make brackets for the angled tposts. This is the only pic I have of them but all our field fence pens are big built using trees for corner stretching support and then gates like this. The angled tpost anchor points are pretty dang solid but I wouldn’t do the whole pen with them.

And my personal best blind on the lease made with field fence with my protein feeder in it .. it’s big … like 35 yards by 65 yards big. Corn, protein water, alfalfa and no cows in it for 14 years …. using trees as corner posts

Last edited by Smart; 12-03-2021, 06:32 AM.

Comment

For those using the field fence, will it keep the hogs out? I would of course put barbed wire on the bottom.
                Also, when putting barbed wire on top of the panels, are you putting it a few inches above the panel or right on top?
                Thanks for the replies. I never knew I'd have a problem getting panels! But that's exactly why I'm looking into all this now lol.
                As stated, I have cattle panels, I've been told to cut them in half but that seems too low. Afraid if I run a wire fairly high above the panel the deer may get a leg hung in it. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Protein feeder pen

Originally posted by tef View Post
                  For those using the field fence, will it keep the hogs out? I would of course put barbed wire on the bottom.
                  Also, when putting barbed wire on top of the panels, are you putting it a few inches above the panel or right on top?
                  Thanks for the replies. I never knew I'd have a problem getting panels! But that's exactly why I'm looking into all this now lol.
                  As stated, I have cattle panels, I've been told to cut them in half but that seems too low. Afraid if I run a wire fairly high above the panel the deer may get a leg hung in it. Any thoughts on that?

My grandparents keep them out for the most part with field wire but they do patch fence a couple times a year with hog panel

Last edited by Backwoods101; 12-03-2021, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Here’s a good pic of one of our corn pens that we just replaced the gate on . Widened it with a full panel. Notice we used angled tpost for the corner bracing for the gates. You can wire it in yourself or they make brackets for the angled tposts. This is the only pic I have of them but all our field fence pens are big built using trees for corner stretching support and then gates like this. The angled tpost anchor points are pretty dang solid but I wouldn’t do the whole pen with them.

And my personal best blind on the lease made with field fence with my protein feeder in it .. it’s big … like 35 yards by 65 yards big. Corn, protein water, alfalfa and no cows in it for 14 years …. using trees as corner posts

This is probably going to be a dumb question, but this is also my first time using feed pens. If you have a ground blind, brush blind, or any stand not elevated close to this feeder, how do you shoot an arrow through this? Again, I know this is probably a dumb question, but with my luck, I will surely find a way to hit the metal on the fence. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Tractor Supply in Cleveland has lots of panels in stock as of yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by HeathJohnson View Post
                        This is probably going to be a dumb question, but this is also my first time using feed pens. If you have a ground blind, brush blind, or any stand not elevated close to this feeder, how do you shoot an arrow through this? Again, I know this is probably a dumb question, but with my luck, I will surely find a way to hit the metal on the fence. Thanks for your help.

You don’t shoot through the fence, you shoot over it. If you can’t shoot over it because you’re too low, then cut the top of the panel where you will be shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by HeathJohnson View Post

Not a dumb question at all... Both my pens are large enough that one of my binds actually sits in the pen.. and the other butts up next to it. The other option is to go elevated and shoot over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Poss platform1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	24670701

Name:	00Seismic blind updated2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	24670703

Name:	00 Slacker deer View 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	24670702

Comment

Thank you both! Sheesh, that is an awesome set-up.

Comment

My pen is 36” tall. My blind sits on a 6” wood platform. I’m able to shoot over the top of it while sitting in my chair. If you zoom in you can see the fence at the bottom of my window.

Comment

Working...
                              X