Gus Engeling Youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling Youth

My nephew drew the hunt for this upcoming weekend. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this first time hunter to have a successful trip. Hunting is by compartment, do we get to pick any available or is it a random draw?

I've been to Gus two times. There are some monster bucks on that place. We were assigned a compartment when I was there. We found a campsite just outside the park on the main highway there that had power and a restroom. Remember, it's a huge place and the compartments are also, you will be best served doing some scouting. Also, it is sugar sand and that stuff will eat a F250 in no time. Part of the instructions before hunting are to not drive off the roads, and if you get stuck they will not get you out. A game cart will help in recovery. You will see all kinds of homemade blinds people bring in to hunt out of. I ended up finding a busy trail and build a brush blind to hand out in all day.

Comment

In the past they have assigned compartments for these hunts. A couple of the compartments they recommend a 4X4 truck so they will probably ask you that question. Depending on how many standby hunters they take, you may end of "sharing" a compartment with another youth hunter. My kid and I split a compartment one year but worked out OK. We took the front half and they took the back half. Didn't bother each other.

Great looking property but not a real high success rate. The deer are there but you gotta work for them. Lots of hogs on the property but most move at night. I would focus on finding open areas and areas with activity and corning up. Spend a little time when you get to the compartment to drive/walk around before you pick your spot. Best of luck to you and your nephew.

Comment

Probably the wildest, spookiest deer I've ever hunted.
        Every compartment is good, but its a tough hunt. People have a tendency to find open areas where you can see good, but in my experience that's not where the deer are. they hide in the thickest junk they can find. Corn will likely attract pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
          In the past they have assigned compartments for these hunts. A couple of the compartments they recommend a 4X4 truck so they will probably ask you that question. Depending on how many standby hunters they take, you may end of "sharing" a compartment with another youth hunter. My kid and I split a compartment one year but worked out OK. We took the front half and they took the back half. Didn't bother each other.

Great looking property but not a real high success rate. The deer are there but you gotta work for them. Lots of hogs on the property but most move at night. I would focus on finding open areas and areas with activity and corning up. Spend a little time when you get to the compartment to drive/walk around before you pick your spot. Best of luck to you and your nephew.
          I spit compartment 18 with a father and son one year, we did the same splitting the compartment in half, worked out fine until a drawn group that didn't show until the last day of the hunt showed up and crashed the party with their thermal cameras.
          Originally posted by beardedBrazos View Post
          Probably the wildest, spookiest deer I've ever hunted.
          Agree and very nocturnal, I threw up a game cam and don't think one picture was of them feeding, they were looking and listened every single picture... in the middle of the night. The deer out there are next level paranoid.

Comment

Working...
          X