Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Blackland Prairies Hunting (Navarro, Ellis, Hill, Freestone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw good movement through last Friday. I shot an old ten point Friday morning and my wife took a doe. Saturday and Sunday not much movement. Lots of deer on camera this morning. In the stand this evening since three and nothing so far.

Comment

My son and I am have been in the blind since 3:30 and nothing
      My daughter is down the road at another location and quite a few does and a couple young bucks
      She saw one of our target bucks late yesterday evening but never got a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

New to the area

Hey y'all this is my second season bow hunting (second season hunting ever), this year I was fortunate enough to tag a buck at Benbrook Lake and another buck at LBJ Grasslands. I am primarily a public land hunt but recently I picked up permission to hunt 142 acres in Hubbard off Highway 31, 2 mins from that Sonic off Magnolia Ave. This property has not been hunted in 2 years and I am the only person hunting there. I'm looking to tag my last buck of the season here in Hill County. I have gotten a chance to hunt 3 days at the place 2 weeks back but was not able to see a buck I wanted to kill. I did get a mature 8 pointer on cam but have yet to see him on the hoof.

I am not planning on putting a feeder up yet until I figure out a solution for the cows being able to eat the protein and corn I will be putting out (they have over 40 cows and a couple mules) My tactic is to stay mobile (hunting out of a LW Assault 2 hang on) and doing a run & gun style of hunting. I live in Saginaw so this property is about an hour and a half drive one way, so I am not planning to overhunt at all. Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about cows on hand corn, just spread it really thin. Hanging feeders are good also. Deer in the area don’t like standing feeders as much as a rule of thumb. Good luck.

Comment

Anybody around Corsicana use cotton seed? If so where do you get it? Im thinking I may try it in one of my pens this year. I run protein in the other. Just want something different.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
              Anybody around Corsicana use cotton seed? If so where do you get it? Im thinking I may try it in one of my pens this year. I run protein in the other. Just want something different.

I don’t use cotton seed but am curious to hear the results. I haven’t fed protein with but am looking at getting that out for next season. I’ve heard of some places in east texas where the deer weren’t interested. Did you have good results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
                I don’t use cotton seed but am curious to hear the results. I haven’t fed protein with but am looking at getting that out for next season. I’ve heard of some places in east texas where the deer weren’t interested. Did you have good results?

I have never put it out. I thought I would try at one of my spots since I already protein one spot. They are about 150yds apart. So I thought I would give it a go.

Comment

Cottonseed will be really hard to get started around here in my opinion. It works pretty good out west but you have to start it when the native vegetation is dead either winter or heat of summer. I would honestly stay with rice bran or protein but give it a try and let us know how it goes. Once they start on it they like it but getting them started on it usually takes a pretty hungry deer.
                  Atwoods was selling it in 50# bags few months ago, they may still have some. Id go this route then if they like it buy it in bulk from one of the COOP around mertens, malone or others north or the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Cottonseed will be really hard to get started around here in my opinion. It works pretty good out west but you have to start it when the native vegetation is dead either winter or heat of summer. I would honestly stay with rice bran or protein but give it a try and let us know how it goes. Once they start on it they like it but getting them started on it usually takes a pretty hungry deer.
                    Atwoods was selling it in 50# bags few months ago, they may still have some. Id go this route then if they like it buy it in bulk from one of the COOP around mertens, malone or others north or the lake.
                    Thank you. We have tried the rice bran and they really werent into it. They would eat it a little but it took a really long time to empty the protein feeder it was in. I could have filled it 3-4 times protien where they emptied it once. Ill try it and see. Maybe they will hate it. LOL. Ill just make a small little pen to put it in and see how it goes. I will be running protein at my other spot though. Just wanted something different to try.

Comment

Have they responded pretty good to protein? I’ll have to build a pen to keep cows out so I’d like to get an idea before I go through the work of building a fence.

Comment

Mine took a while but some eat the protein. It was s a edit ricebran. They won’t eat it sometimes but right now they wipe it out. It’s all dependent on time of year. Right now they need fat so they crush rice bran.

On another note my doe counts at feeders have doubled last couple weeks but the bucks are about the same. Guessing the doe are getting hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
                          Have they responded pretty good to protein? I’ll have to build a pen to keep cows out so I’d like to get an idea before I go through the work of building a fence.

Our deer crush the protein. We went to timed feeders because of it. We were buying 6 pallets of protein between March and September for 2 feeders. We are poor boys and cant afford that. Now we go through probably 3 pallets.

Comment

Working...
                          X