No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunted horse island a few years back and from what I can remember it was really thick. Besides the trail that leads in, there isn't much open country. Unless you are hunting the shore lines

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
        Any thoughts on the Horse Island section? Anyone ever hunt that... experience's, thoughts? Worth a try? It seems from older, and this years thread that area 8 produces more. Probably because it sees more hunter access and hunter hours. Just trying to get a perspective for my first visit this coming January (rifle hunt). Hoping to learn from your boots on the ground before mine hit it. Thanks in advance for any opinions or experience's. Thanks.
        Any shots at horse island would have to be very quick and at close range. I had a shot at a cow on the trail there last year, but not seeing far down the trail and not knowing my backstop was safe played a role on my passing on the shot. There are better areas with more open spaces where you can see them coming and you have more time (maybe) to place a better shot. Shot placement can be very important on the bigger animals as you may not get a chance to pull the trigger twice.

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
          Thanks for the info guys.
          I checked in a small buck this morning and talked to the staff. We talked about horse island. It’s a good spot with animals. But it’s far and thick and that discourages a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
            I checked in a small buck this morning and talked to the staff. We talked about horse island. It’s a good spot with animals. But it’s far and thick and that discourages a lot of people.
            No pictures?

Comment

Hey thanks for reports, can’t wait for next weekend….praying for no rain and dry trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Scouted yesterday with the Mrs, she's a REAL GOOD SPORT. I took us around the back side of a tank figuring to cross back to where we started across prairie but the tank was out of its banks and the entire prairie was underwater. We waded a quarter mile across it in water over the tops of our snake gaiters. Good thing it was sunny and hot as blazes, we were at least able to wring out and dry out our socks and trousers. I always hunt near water, but every other tank we checked out was also flooded, and all of the nearby tall prairie grass was under at least a few inches of water, in some places 1-2 feet of water. Spent the rest of the day sloshing around in our waterlogged boots, though. It was HOT yesterday, and I think it was HOTTER today. I bumped two bulls, a cow and a young one on my walk out, and had nilgai around me as the sun was setting, making that loud low "snoring" sound but I couldn't see them in the thick brush. Didn't see a single WTD until I was back on 510 back to Port Isabel, then the sides of the road were lined with them. One got hit last night, the vultures were all over it this morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be drier and 10 degrees cooler. I sure hope so.

Comment

Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Two questions

1. Is the parking lot on FM106 before the gate to get in? And can you go in that way at the 1.5 hrs before safe light?

2. Can we drive down “county road” see the blue arrow on my map.

I ask cause my son just tweaked his knee, trying to plan shorter routes.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9791.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	24669089

Comment

Yes and yes

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                        Two questions

1. Is the parking lot on FM106 before the gate to get in? And can you go in that way at the 1.5 hrs before safe light?

2. Can we drive down “county road” see the blue arrow on my map.

I ask cause my son just tweaked his knee, trying to plan shorter routes.[ATTACH]1070210[/ATTACH]

It take about a half hour to drive that county road your pointing too. 6 miles long at 15 mph.

Comment

Wow this is some thick stuff. All of the open fields that I’ve come across on horse island have thick waist to chest high grass and a few inches to shin deep water. I learned my lesson yesterday and spent all afternoon with soaked boots. Most of the brush was nearly impenetrable.

Is anyone able to hunt not on a road? Seems like anything off a road is to high and thick to be able to see much of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                            No pictures?
                            Its my first buck in over 10 years. My lease sucked. So last year I started hunting public full time at a local WMA. This is my first public land deer. Knowing how tough this hunt is and how few hunters were successful I wasn’t going to be picky. If it’s brown it’s down. No babies though of either WTD or Nilgai. So when this buck came in. I took it. And I’m proud of it.

I’ll post the story and details after the hunt. Trying to still get it done for my friend or find some Nilgai.

I did run into another buck this morning. But can’t shoot him now. Need his girlfriend to show up

I tried to post a pic with my iCloud link. That didn’t work.

Comment

Any deer on that place is a good deer. That’s a tough place to hunt. Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                                Its my first buck in over 10 years. My lease sucked. So last year I started hunting public full time at a local WMA. This is my first public land deer. Knowing how tough this hunt is and how few hunters were successful I wasn’t going to be picky. If it’s brown it’s down. No babies though of either WTD or Nilgai. So when this buck came in. I took it. And I’m proud of it.

I’ll post the story and details after the hunt. Trying to still get it done for my friend or find some Nilgai.

I did run into another buck this morning. But can’t shoot him now. Need his girlfriend to show up

I tried to post a pic with my iCloud link. That didn’t work.

Ummmm I was just asking for a picture

I’ve hunted laguna for a few years now and know how tough it is. Don’t have to justify any kill out there as they’re all a major success as long as the hunter is happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X