Age Help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age Help??

This is a deer that just showed up this year. We have no history with him. Any idea on age? Feel free to throw a score guess out there if you’d like, but mainly concerned with age on this one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2820.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	25258986

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	25258987

Name:	IMG_2816.jpg
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	25258988

Name:	IMG_2814.jpg
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	25258989

Name:	IMG_2811.jpg
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	25258990

Name:	IMG_2808.jpg
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	25258991

Name:	IMG_2803.jpg
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	25258992

Name:	IMG_2802.jpg
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	25258993

Name:	IMG_2804.jpg
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	25258994

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.5+

Comment

I'm gonna say "really" fat 4.5 yo

Comment

SHOOT! ASAP send results!

Comment

Mature but not old. He would be at the end of his natural life cycle if he came past me.

Comment

Nice deer, wish he’d just “show up” at my place lol

Comment

5 or 6 would be my guess. Leaning towards 5. Face looks in between but again looks younger and long. Good brisket, blocky body, start of some callouses on his knees. Still a bit tippy toed in some natural poses. Great deer, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Mature but not old.
                I agree with this. I don't think he's 4 but don't think he's 8 either. Looks older in some photos vs. others. We had a buck show up recently that hasn't been seen since 2018. Funny how they just appear & disappear

Comment

I would guess he is in the 5 to 6 year old range based on those picks. Good looking buck.

Comment

Beautiful deer! 5.5

Comment

Wow!!!!
                      That is one impressive buck. I like the heck out of him.

I’m no real help with an age guess, though.

Comment

I would think 5, but really hope for 7 to make me feel alittle better

That would be a hard deer to pass with just showing up and possible leaving as randomly as he appeared. But that guy has what it takes to be well over 200" at fully mature

Comment

First instinct was 5.5. Not much sway in his back but he’s got a solid gut on him.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                            I would think 5, but really hope for 7 to make me feel alittle better

That would be a hard deer to pass with just showing up and possible leaving as randomly as he appeared. But that guy has what it takes to be well over 200" at fully mature
                            This is exactly where I am. I really feel like he is a 5 yr old. If he is, he will be off limits for sure. He is in a really safe part of the ranch in the middle of the property. And our neighbors will pass him also if that’s what we decide to do. So I am really leaning towards letting him ride a year to see what he does. Being low fence, deer that have the potential to hit 200” don’t come around every day!

The fact that I don’t know him also makes me more inclined to think he was a mediocre 4 yr old we didn’t pay much attention to last year that blew up this year versus being fully mature.

I guess that’s what makes it fun. Never knowing what might show up! We will probably wait til we can put eyes on him in person to make a final decision.

Comment

Looks to be a very healthy 5, maybe 6 year old. I like the theory that he may have been a mediocre 4/5 year old that just really popped this year. I’d let him ride this year and see what you guys got next year. He’s a big deer, but you guys have all shot big deer, he could turn into something special next year. With you already hesitating on whether you should let him walk or not, sounds like you already have your answer!

Comment

Working...
                              X