No announcement yet.

Best budget thermal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went the budget thermal route and ended up selling it after a few months and getting a Wraith. Where I hunt the shots are less than 100 yards and the Wraith was much better in my opinion than my budget ($2500) thermal.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
      I went the budget thermal route and ended up selling it after a few months and getting a Wraith. Where I hunt the shots are less than 100 yards and the Wraith was much better in my opinion than my budget ($2500) thermal.
      This is a great option. I have two thermals and I still get out and hunt with my Wraith(at times). $500 and your are out hunting at night, not a bad way to get started.

Comment

For my hunting style looking down sendero chum lines and over feeders most all under 200 yards I went with a Wraith 4K HD IR scope and the AGM TM15-384 monocular for scanning and locating approaching targets. The Wraith has so far proven to have incredible accuracy and the 4 different reticle settings lets me switch it from gun to gun with the quick detach base and still be dead on at 100yd. It also allows me to use it night or day. Hope to get some video this coming weekend.

Comment

Rattler 35 or Hogster 35 are very good options. For just a little more though you can get a Super Hogster.

I can hook you up with a brand new Super Hogster for $2800 shipped. They are $3100-$3200 everywhere.

Comment

Figure out what the max amount of money you want to spend and put a lot of thought into what your average distance is going to be on the majority of your shots. Next step would be to call Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear and he will get you set up based on how much you want to spend and what the base magnification needs to be for your hunting situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
              Figure out what the max amount of money you want to spend and put a lot of thought into what your average distance is going to be on the majority of your shots. Next step would be to call Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear and he will get you set up based on how much you want to spend and what the base magnification needs to be for your hunting situation.

I’m trying to stay at or under $2k. Although we have some long senderos and right of ways, most of my shots are 200 yards or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

imo.... the Wraith 2x and a thermal handheld scanner are a great choice for the $2k budget and shots under 200 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                  imo.... the Wraith 2x and a thermal handheld scanner are a great choice for the $2k budget and shots under 200 yds.
                  This is what I’m going to end up doing. What scanner would you recommend ?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    I agree, especially if you are hunting cleared senderos where there is not a bunch of brush for the IR light on the Wraith to catch that would mess up the picture. If I was to do it all over again I would have bought a handheld scanner first and then upgraded my digital NV to thermal later but I dont have a typical hunting situation.

The only other thing I would suggest would be the Thermion XM30 but it is 2300 plus tax. I would only suggest this if your senderos are naarrow because the XM30 has a 3.5 base mag which will not have a very wide field of view. All of the other options below 2k has a pretty low base mag, there might be some options from ATN but I know of three folks that have had their recent thermals and all have had issues. With that said there are a lot of folks that are happy with them but I personally wouldnt risk it.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                      This is what I’m going to end up doing. What scanner would you recommend ?
                      I have been very pleased with my Pulsar Axion Key XM30, and the Key XM22 I looked through was a very similar image. Have not put my hands on any of the other $1500 and under stuff to know how good it is, but based on reviews I have seen there seem to be other good options in that same price range.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't buy a thermal for that price. You will end up wanting better.

Save up to get in that $3-3500 range.

And please do NOT buy an ATN!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            Personally, I wouldn't buy a thermal for that price. You will end up wanting better.

Save up to get in that $3-3500 range.

And please do NOT buy an ATN!!!!!

It’s not a matter of saving up...not an issue. I just don’t want to sink a bunch of money in something that will get minimal use and be outdated in 6 months.

Comment

For sure don't buy an ATN. They're customer service and product reputation is terrible.

I have a buddy with an AGM rattler. He's satisfied with them. I prefer my Hogster R35 though. But to be honest, I should have spent the extra cash and got a superhogster. I could care less about video recording, but the improved image clarity is noticeable.

If you're serious about buying one, I have a buddy selling an AGM TS-50 Micro for 2,500.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                                It’s not a matter of saving up...not an issue. I just don’t want to sink a bunch of money in something that will get minimal use and be outdated in 6 months.

I hear you on that. It won't be outdated unless you buy bottom of the barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X