Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
TXJake
Nubbin' Buck

Default Old Sabine WMA

Howdy...

This is my second draw ever - a buddy and I did archery at Laguna last year. Hoping to see if anyone is willing to share any tips or are also going to Old Sabine WMA in December. Iím going this one alone so it will be another learning experience... part of the fun.

From what Iíve read, any ATV or side by side access requires some sort of special sticker (?) and the roads arenít always open. Is on foot or bicycle access alright?

Last year at Laguna we were instantly jealous of the many mobile tripod setups we saw. We took pop upís to Laguna but it seemed like a waste of time. What about Sabine?

Iím sure Iíll think of more questions if people are willing to share...
TXJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Most of Old Sabine is thick woods. There are a few compartments that are accessible by foot. Neat place. Iíve been drawn a couple times and saw deer each hunt, but not close enough.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
BW96
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Old sabine is tough. Lots of pigs. Few deer. Atv would help a lot. Personally, id just have a pack and a stool. Plenty of cover to hide in and set up. I wouldnt worry about a blind or stand of any sorts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

Been to this place a few times in the spring for hog hunts. I’ve seen a few deer, but mostly pigs. If you can, head down the ATV trail to the East where it intersects the power line. I have seen photos on the property’s Facebook page from drawn hunts and a few of them featured the power lines in the background.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
TXJake
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for all of the replies! It looks like from the map that all compartments have a road of some sorts on at least one side. Are the ATV roads other roads not shown?

Iíve seen a few other posts about the power lines. Seems like a good tip.

Do most people camp onsite? I thought about taking our camper for a nearby campground but havenít really seen many good options yet.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
RS3
Ten Point

20 minutes to Tyler state park.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #7
Etxnoodler
Ten Point

[QUOTE=TXJake;15107698]Thanks for all of the replies! It looks like from the map that all compartments have a road of some sorts on at least one side. Are the ATV roads other roads not shown?

Iíve seen a few other posts about the power lines. Seems like a good tip.

Do most people camp onsite? I thought about taking our camper for a nearby campground but havenít really seen many good options yet.

For the most part those are atv trails. The only vehicle access roads are 1804 and the main road that runs north and south through the middle of the area. There are two primitive campsites available during the hunts. No electricity or water. Campers have to be self contained. And Tyler state park is right down the road.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Hate to be a debbie downer but that place sucks for deer. And I say that as someone who has spent and immense amount of time there pig hunting and also doing some archery deer hunting. If it is your only option, it beats not hunting....but barely. It gets **** pounded during archery. So you take poor hunting and then highly pressure it before the draw hunts. Yeah.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

I got drawn as well, not sure why I even applied for it. But, my family owns land on the wma and have hardly seen deer down there. May try it for the heck of it. ATV you have to wear a helmet, SXS you do not. ALso if you take either you have to get the ATV permit. Last I remember.

Last edited by txhunter90; 09-18-2020 at 10:06 AM.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Lots of rules for atv or side by side, plus proficiency test needed. Like someone said east side down atv trail has some hogs and deer. Snake boots for sure, and bug spray. Look it up and call them for correct information.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
C-dubyah
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Hate to be a debbie downer but that place sucks for deer. And I say that as someone who has spent and immense amount of time there pig hunting and also doing some archery deer hunting. If it is your only option, it beats not hunting....but barely. It gets **** pounded during archery. So you take poor hunting and then highly pressure it before the draw hunts. Yeah.
X2

We got picked there next to a highway and had people coming onto our compartment during the lottery hunt. One guy was sitting under a tree drinking a beer. Another guy was sneaking around with a shotgun looking for hogs. I saw more illegal hunters than I did animals. Good luck! Enjoying yourself out there will be more about attitude than success.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
TXJake
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
If it is your only option, it beats not hunting....but barely.
This may be my situation this year. Iím kind of on the fence to be honest. We would like to find a lease we can take our 4 kids but havenít had luck finding any yet ... itís hard to go out looking with all the 2020 BS.

I do appreciate all the replies. Had such a blast at Laguna last year and was hoping for a new adventure... so far you guys paint a sketchy picture!
Old 09-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
Sethmac
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Only takes one time to connect..Old Sabine has deer..just a challenge
Sethmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
30-30
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmac View Post
Just from my past experience it doesnít seem like thereís fewer deer than any of the other east Texas WMAs. Thicker woods and harder to see them maybe.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Tough hunting for sure

Probably 20 minutes from me and I rarely set foot on the place. Has been open in the past to hunt various dates archery only with just the AHP

Mosquitoes are Booners and a bunch of them, warm and there will be snakes, maybe even a Timber Rattler

Deer are there but not a high density/ac

That said, I have seen some nice deer that came off of it

You might get lucky and be in the right place to whack a good one, will never know if you don't try

If it is wet I would leave the bike in the rack, ATV/UTV is best bet

Another option is to take a boat, there is a ramp on the area. We used to go down river a ways, tie the boat up and walk out to a slough and shoot ducks
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #16
30-30
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dubyah View Post
X2
Another guy was sneaking around with a shotgun looking for hogs. I saw more illegal hunters than I did animals. .
Something similar happened to me years ago at White Oak Creek WMA. A squirrel hunter walked up to me in the woods, looked down at my 270 and said ďya canít hunt with that here.Ē I said, ďsure can when the place is closed for a draw hunt.Ē He turned ghost white, completely disassembled his shotgun, and beelined for his truck.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #17
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmac View Post
Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #18
ETXHorseApple
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co

One of the best ways to get around in get in areas off the beaten path is to canoe down the river. But that only works if you can access by the HWY 69 Bridge.
ETXHorseApple is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #19
White Falcon
Pope & Young

1804 is the closest boat ramp on OSBWMA.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #20
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
1804 is the closest boat ramp on OSBWMA.
Just get there a few minutes early to move the washer, dryer, oven and 6 dead hogs out of the way... then your good to go!!!

Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #21
BW96
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Just get there a few minutes early to move the washer, dryer, oven and 6 dead hogs out of the way... then your good to go!!!

That cracked me up. Its the sad truth though.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #22
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

I drew the rifle hunt last year. I regret applying for it, especially since they decided to surprise us all and "cube" the loyalty points this year. I blew 5 loyalty points, or 125 I should say.

I don't intend to sound condescending on the WMA, but it is bottom of the barrel of the Gun Deer Either Sex choices for WMAs, I've been to plenty WMAs and have a pretty impressive archery success rate of big bucks taken on draw hunts, some of which I do not reveal. OSB isn't one I'll return to, so the local guys that feel that they have a honey hole can rest easy. Low deer density, and abundance of hogs, not a place I want to spend time at during my busy hunting season.

I pre-scouted the place, used an UTV and walked it prior to the hunt. I read up on everything available on the web, studied satellite imagery, spoke with everyone I could including wardens and biologist. I put in plenty of time to make trip there successful and meaningful. Of all the hunters, only 1 deer was harvested. A woman hunting with me shot it(doe) at 70yds, across my lap sitting in a UTV watching a powerline right of way. I had plenty of opportunities to shoot hogs, and a couple deer (spike/doe). But, I wasnt there for me, I tagged out on 3 WT Buck 1 Mulie Buck with a bow. I was trying something new with hopes of her being successful. It worked.

The guys/biologist that ran the place were cool as heck, very accommodating. They even cooked all the hunters supper the first night, Johns Famous Carne Guisada. Made from an OSB hog. Very cool that they did that, all the hunters got to sit down and eat a meal together.
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #23
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

I’ll give this last bit of info on this property: if you listen to the Storm Water Creek podcast hosted by Abe Bullman on Spotify, they actually had the biologist from this area on multiple episodes, for two different years (2017&2018). I think Abe won a drawn hunt here as well. Couple quick stats from Chris Farrell (WildLife Biologist for Tawakoni and OSB) that stood out to me:

A total of about 3 deer come off the property every year. I think hunters have to report all kills. There may be a couple more that get killed, but not accounted for.
Deer density is 1 deer per 34 acres
Of the 3 or so deer taken avg yearly, they are more likely to be locals, than drawn hunt winners.

This sounds like depressing stats, but there is still potential. I got drawn this year for another GDE, but next year and every year after I would not apply to this place. It can be hunted without burning a draw and there are far better properties for deer density and big buck potential. Get to the pipeline if you can - if this place is flooded I wouldn’t mess with it.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:30 AM   #24
SandraWeldon
Banned!!!

Good to know this
SandraWeldon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #25
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post

Ya, but you can put in at either bridge. They have been keeping it cleaner, only one water heater.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #26
luna-tuna
Eight Point

Dang ! That was fast for SandraW. Joined yesterday, banned today !
luna-tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #27
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ya, but you can put in at either bridge. They have been keeping it cleaner, only one water heater.

Reckon the heating element is still good?
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #28
CTR0022
Ten Point

Hows the duck hunting in there?
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #29
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
Hows the duck hunting in there?
Activity should increase with this rain . .
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #30
BW96
Ten Point

I've never duck hunted it but I've only seen a very wood ducks there. Looks like great duck habitat though

Old 09-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #31
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Duck hunting used to be pretty decent years ago until one of the biologists started treating it like his own personal hunting lease. Even tried to argue with my BIL when we beat him to “his” hole one time! lol
I haven’t duck hunted it in at least 8 years or more so I’m not much help now..
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #32
Sharecropper
Ten Point

I live on the Wood County side across the river from the OSB . . Owned the place since 2002 . . We got water we got ducks . . Good deer . . Wonderful place to live . .
Old 10-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #33
K.B.V.
Nubbin' Buck

I find it hilarious when people who can’t get it done on public land bash the place!
There is literally sign everywhere and there are way more deer there than most people think. You just gotta Hunt smarter!!
K.B.V. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.B.V. View Post
I find it hilarious when people who canít get it done on public land bash the place!
There is literally sign everywhere and there are way more deer there than most people think. You just gotta Hunt smarter!!
Not all public land is equal. There is obviously some better properties than others. This does not happen to be one based on the available statistics. The question also is: ďis it worth burning a draw in a good category, and also paying the fee for a low opportunity propertyĒ.

The biologist gave the deer density. I highly doubt that those men with masters degrees and PHDs that also happen to hunt the place underestimated the density or lack the ability to hunt smart.

Lastly, I donít understand your logic. It sounds like youíve hunted here and done well. If thatís the case, whatís the sense in encouraging others to give the property a second look?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #35
BW96
Ten Point

Quote:
I find it hilarious when people who canít get it done on public land bash the place!
Show us some success then big guy.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #36
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
I consider the hunt I had successful, I could have shot deer and hogs. My partner was the only one who shot a deer, MOST never saw a deer. This isn't bashing. This is factual truth. Bottom line, OSB is still and will always be the bottom of the barrel the GDE draw hunts. AS mentioned previously, it can be hunted without applying and burning preference points.

I'd too, would like to see your success at OSB. Show the green screen, what it looks like to hunt "smarter!'' at OSB, don't be a chicken now!
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #37
Sharecropper
Ten Point

It's been 2 months . . Y'all quit hunting?. .
Old 12-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #38
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I consider the hunt I had successful, I could have shot deer and hogs. My partner was the only one who shot a deer, MOST never saw a deer. This isn't bashing. This is factual truth. Bottom line, OSB is still and will always be the bottom of the barrel the GDE draw hunts. AS mentioned previously, it can be hunted without applying and burning preference points.

I'd too, would like to see your success at OSB. Show the green screen, what it looks like to hunt "smarter!'' at OSB, don't be a chicken now!
Fo real. I used to live in Tyler and hunted there quite a bit for hogs. Tons of those but rarely saw a deer. I think they shoot two or three a year out there.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #39
Sharecropper
Ten Point

I guess nobody had success this year . . There's plenty of deer . . Pressure tends to push them deeper than most care to hunt . . Maybe next year . .
Old 01-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #40
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Some people don't kiss and tell!
Old 01-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #41
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Some people hunt deer and not mushrooms . .
Old 01-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #42
White Falcon
Pope & Young

They both eat. How you doing you Old Fart?
Old 01-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #43
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Quote:
They both eat. How you doing you Old Fart?
Great . . Doing all the birus protocols . . Splitting time between here and the lake . . Waiting to get the vaccine . .