Generator Interlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator Interlock

Just had a AC man at my house that is also a licensed electrician. I asked him about installing an interlock on my panel and back feeding power into the panel during outages. He understood that the interlock would require the main breaker to be off before the generator breaker could feed power into the line. He said he would have to install a complete lockout switch because if the main breaker was off you could still back feed thru the neutral line.

Not sure what to think. It was my understanding that by having the main breaker off would stop back feeding.

I hope I explained the above properly.

Bump for some info. I’m looking at doing the same

Comment

Me to.

Comment

He is not correct on this. He needs to stick to ac work. You need the interlock and a generator receptacle

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsailfish View Post
          He is not correct on this. He needs to stick to ac work. You need the interlock and a generator receptacle
          This!!
          I just had it done 2 weeks ago in my shop.

Comment

I'm no NEC expert but why would the panelboard manufacturers provide a device that is not code compliant? I've never seen anything that breaks the neutral.

Comment

He is wrong. If the main breaker is off the generator can't back feed.

National Electrical Code requires a system in place that prevents an emergency generator from feeding back into the utility line.

A generator interlock kit is a device to allow safe backfeeding of a home through a portable generator during power outages. This eliminates unsafe generator backfeeding situations that could potentially electrocute electric power company workers or destroy the generator.

The interlock kit is installed on the front cover of the breaker panel. It consists of two sliding metal or plastic plates held together by three bolts. When moved down, the plate blocks the generator backfeed circuit breaker and allows the main breaker to remain on. When moved up, the generator backfeed circuit breaker may be turned on but the main circuit breaker is blocked and will remain off. As a result, electricity from the generator cannot travel through the panel and back into the wiring on the street.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just had this done at ranch. Have to have the generator lock out panel. After the electrician was done, the electrical co-op had to come inspect it before they would turn the power back on.
                Last edited by DUKFVR; 04-20-2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  Just had this done at ranch. Have to have the generator lock out panel. After the electrician was done, the electrical co-op had to come inspect it before they would turn the power back on.

I think the lock out panel is different than the interlock device

Comment

120/240volt 1phase transfer switches DO NOT transfer the ground/neutral.
                    Find a different electrician.

Comment

This is an interlock. Mine is a Square D and I installed it for $30 with a kit bought on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by bakin7005; 04-20-2021, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Master electrician here. He is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Following cause I’m curious!!

Comment

Hope he knows more about AC than he does about electricity

Got me a plug tied in to my panel to hook my Miller Bobcat up when needed

Comment

Originally posted by Tight View Post
                              Following cause I’m curious!!
                              See post right above yours,

Comment

Working...
                              X