Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX
Default Chad Morris to Allen High School

Man, as if Allen needed any more weapons lol. Their dominance should definitely continue.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-scho...ootball-coach/
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
HR3
Ten Point

Hunt In: AR,LA,MS,AL,TX,IN....

Very interesting indeed

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
HR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

In 16 years as Head Coach in High School, 167-40 and 3 titles. Not too shabby. Hard to believe Allen's enrollment is not too far off from TCU's...
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
HR3
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
In 16 years as Head Coach in High School, 167-40 and 3 titles. Not too shabby. Hard to believe Allen's enrollment is not too far off from TCU's...
A high school with collegiate enrollment... That's crazy...... They have a unique problem of too much talent... A nice problem to have...

Old 03-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Richard M.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke Co.

Allen HS has a completely unfair enrollment advantage. Anywhere else the town would have been divided into 2 or 3 separate high schools. I think every state championship they own should have double asterisks ** by it and the runner up should also have one noting the enrollment numbers.

And that's not even mentioning the money they spend on coaches, stadiums, players...etc.
Richard M. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Indeed. The City of Allen would rather have one single High School and a 72 Million Dollar Stadium than two high schools - all priorities unfortunately.

They recruit and employ players parents so that they can enroll and play for Allen as well, but I guess that happens in a lot of places.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
HR3
Ten Point

I believe most 6A division 1 schools have similar enrollments.... Most have decent athletic programs..... I ain't mad at them... The other programs should level up...

Old 03-31-2021, 11:29 AM   #8
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but this is why Allen sold off land to Plano and Frisco back in the 70's. They got the size of the city limits down to where per square mile, they only have to have 1 HS. At least that is what I was told.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #9
esoct25
Four Point

Why all the complaining? They were great when they had Kylar Murray but haven't done much since. Duncanville North Shore Katy Austin westlake has had way more success lately

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
esoct25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

guys:

Surely UIL has eyed all this and has made it fair. I assume they are similar size enrollment as over top 6A schools in the state
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:11 PM   #11
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

Rounding here
Allen has 6900
Plano West 5500
Plano East 5400

Largest Houston Area Schools are
North Shore 4500
The Woodlands 4300

This is 2020 according to Dave Campbell
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
Walker
Ten Point

That was Converse Judson for years and a bunch of state titles. They finally broke into 2 high-schools.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #13
erikm1981
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoct25 View Post
Why all the complaining? They were great when they had Kylar Murray but haven't done much since. Duncanville North Shore Katy Austin westlake has had way more success lately

Bingo! I donít think adding Morris makes them any better than they already were. A top tier program for sure but hasnít done much lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erikm1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:43 PM   #14
timberking
Six Point

Hunt In: Harrison, Marion, Panola,Runnels

I feel sorry for Allen. Had high hopes when he came to Arkansas and all were unfulfilled.
timberking is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #15
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberking View Post
I feel sorry for Allen. Had high hopes when he came to Arkansas and all were unfulfilled.
He may be better suited for High School. He is a great leader of young men.
Followed his Lake Travis Teams and Titles. Kids at LT really liked him.
Wish him the best.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 03:00 PM   #16
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

He did a good job when he was coaching here. Good guy.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #17
HR3
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoct25 View Post

Facts, my assumption is that they believe by adding a coach with recent collegiate experience they will win 3 state titles in a row.....

Old 03-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #18
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M. View Post
Allen HS has a completely unfair enrollment advantage. Anywhere else the town would have been divided into 2 or 3 separate high schools. I think every state championship they own should have double asterisks ** by it and the runner up should also have one noting the enrollment numbers.
Well don't forget they built a completely separate campus for freshmen.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 04:56 PM   #19
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

25,000 people never show up to watch the band play. But football... yes they sell lots of T-Shirts and pack the stands. It is a money maker for the H.S. and district. Do not forget the positive attributes of HS sports. Team work, Coaches keep them in school with good grades and lots of other great things. Are there shady things going at some locations of course. But the good out weighs the bad.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 10:19 PM   #20
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberking View Post
Hammer Down, Left Lane, feet on the floor, worst coach ever in CFB.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:02 PM   #21
Smeone
Four Point

Arkansas never should have hired him he was starting to coast at SMU just like June Jones started to do

then he did not even move his family to Arkansas to fully commit I know his son was a senior and he could afford to run two households, but it was just a terrible start at Arkansas that needed a coach that was fully bought in not a guy just dipping his toe in the water after coasting a season at SMU

he was not great at Auburn either so I can't blame him to taking a HS HC job instead of a lower level coordinator position (if he even had an offer) or a position coach
Smeone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:10 PM   #22
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
He did a good job when he was coaching here. Good guy.
I knew him when he was at BC and agree.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:12 PM   #23
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
Hammer Down, Left Lane, feet on the floor, worst coach ever in CFB.
Lol
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #24
TCB
Ten Point

[QUOTE=HR3;15548210]I believe most 6A division 1 schools have similar enrollments....

This is a laughable statement. We're in the same district as Allen...they have 4,000+ more students than Guyer. I'm not hating on them but it makes it easier to field championship level teams in all sports when you have an almost 2X advantage in students.
TCB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
HR3
Ten Point

[quote=TCB;15549470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR3 View Post
I believe most 6A division 1 schools have similar enrollments....

This is a laughable statement. We're in the same district as Allen...they have 4,000+ more students than Guyer. I'm not hating on them but it makes it easier to field championship level teams in all sports when you have an almost 2X advantage in students.
Denton Guyer is 6A Division 2... And made it to the Semifinals.... You may never win the District with a Division 1 school in it. But you play comparable schools in the playoffs... Same as Desto and Cedar Hill being in the same District

Old 04-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #26
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

As I see it, one downside of a high school with 6900 students is the number of kids who get deprived of the experience of playing high school sports . With that many to draw from there's going to be dozens of kids in every sport who could easily make a team at a school with an enrollment of 3,000, but the cream of that huge Allen crop is very talented. How many of you guys that treasure your high school football years would have made the team if your school had 6900 students?
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #27
MLank
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
As I see it, one downside of a high school with 6900 students is the number of kids who get deprived of the experience of playing high school sports . With that many to draw from there's going to be dozens of kids in every sport who could easily make a team at a school with an enrollment of 3,000, but the cream of that huge Allen crop is very talented. How many of you guys that treasure your high school football years would have made the team if your school had 6900 students?
I agree. It seems like Frisco purposely does this, and always seem to add a high school to keep their high schools competing in 5A (the old 4A). This also gives a lot of kids a chance at joining multiple sports as well.
MLank is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #28
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good point!
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #29
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
I agree with this as well. Also, it's not just sports...you could rope in other groups like the band, cheerleaders, drill team and so on.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #30
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

[quote=HR3;15549539]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Denton Guyer is 6A Division 2... And made it to the Semifinals.... You may never win the District with a Division 1 school in it. But you play comparable schools in the playoffs... Same as Desto and Cedar Hill being in the same District

They may not be Div 2 every year. There are 2 other schools in 5-6A that are smaller than DG so they could easily go D1 depending on who makes the playoffs.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #31
HR3
Ten Point

[quote=unclefish;15550424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR3 View Post

They may not be Div 2 every year. There are 2 other schools in 5-6A that are smaller than DG so they could easily go D1 depending on who makes the playoffs.
WTH... ... Last 2 years D2, right? But, as I recall they played Westlake, which won D1 this year.... ... Interesting

Old 04-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #32
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

[quote=HR3;15550476]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
WTH... ... Last 2 years D2, right? But, as I recall they played Westlake, which won D1 this year.... ... Interesting

Yeah it takes a calculator to figure it out most years. It can change with the schools that are in the middle....enrollment wise. For the last several years Katy High went D1 and faced a stout North Shore team and lost. This past year they went D2 (and won State) because two bigger schools in the district made the playoffs.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #33
Smeone
Four Point

a story I read a while back many of the parents and students were aware of the "competition" aspect and not making the team in several sports or in band, but many of those same parents and students said the large enrollment made it possible for Allen to offer many more activities that other districts did not have at all and they (or their kids) were interested in that and that was a selling point for them

at this point it is pretty well known how Allen is going to do things and there are plenty of other choices in Frisco, Plano, McKinney, or Lovejoy for students and families that want something else

they can still live in a very similar quality of neighborhood and if the parent(s) have a commute to anywhere to work the distance and travel time will be just the same if not a bit shorter for some of those choices

for those that just don't care or do not look into those types of things before buying a home....well you get what you gets
Smeone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top