• Show
Clear All

Looking thru the PVS30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post

Looking thru the PVS30

Prime NV weather now with full moon. Only one dead?

Sucks cant sneak up too close with full moon, but its when NV works best

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

2 total, I’m still working on my transition shots lol

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

We’re definitely more cautious on full moon nights, but in wide open wheat fields we can still get to 60-70 yds every time. I ran a PVS 24 on my 6 Creed one full moon night this year, and I can recall several times we sat up at 30-35 yds for the first shot. All open fields and tons of ambient light.

Comment

Need opinions:

Pulsar Trail XP50 or XQ50?

Have a base model pulsar rxq30v and it doesn’t do much good past 100 yards. Which one should I buy for longer range shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
              Need opinions:

Have a base model pulsar rxq30v and it doesn’t do much good past 100 yards. Which one should I buy for longer range shooting?

I'm sure the professionals will be along any minute to give a better suggestion. My thought is this, if budget is not issue go with the XP50. the XP50 has a 640 core and 2x base magnification. lower base magnification is great for finding targets and also tracking and shooting at movers. The XQ50 has a 384 core and 3.5 base magnification. Higher magnification is better for the longer shots, but if you dial up the XP50 to 3.5x, it should still have a better picture quality than the XQ50 does at base mag. Magnification on these is digital, by my calculation the XP dialed up to 3.5x will be about 426 resolution. (dialed up to 4x would be 320) Again, if it's not a budget issue, then the XP50 will be more versatile, and will give just a good picture quality at 3.5x as the XQ50.
              Field of view is so important when hunting at night.

Comment

Need opinions:

Greg answered the question really really well. I think he needs to come work for me!lol

His points are all correct and valid. The only thing I would add is this, if you're getting out of the truck and zooming your XP50 up to 4x from the 2x base mag, then you bought the wrong scope. At the same time, Greg's point about the wider FOV are dead on. We really don't have enough info the say for sure which scope you need but it's worth noting, the XQ50 and the XP50 are vastly different scopes and if you need one of them, then the other one really isn't the right choice.

Back to my zooming up scenario; there is nothing wrong with zooming the XP50 up to 4x and shooting. But if you're doing it for every shot, then you probably should have gotten the XQ50. If you're using a handheld scanner or if you're going to keep the RXQ as a handheld then the FOV on your scope isn't quite as important because you won't be scanning with it.

Basically without knowing a lot more about your situation, this is my advice....

If you're scanning with the scope all the time, the XP50 is logical because of the low base mag and the FOV. If you're mostly shooting under 75 yards, the XP50 is the good choice. If you're shooting a whole lot over 100 yards and/or even out to 200 a lot, then go with the XQ50.

Overall the XP50 is a more versatile scope but it costs $1,200 more. If you like the lower base mag and wider FOV but don't want to spend the money on the XP50, then the XQ38 is the logical solution and it saves you $1,700. Just a thought.

Feel free to call me if you're got more questions.

Jason

Comment

First pig with the thermal. XQ50, 90yards with AR in 7.62 x39. One shot and down.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by BrianL; 11-02-2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    First pig with the thermal. XQ50, 90yards with AR in 7.62 x39. One shot and down.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                    Heck yeah. You’re hooked now

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                      Heck yeah. You’re hooked now
                      That’s an understatement

Comment

I finally got another Hog kill with the Thermion. New toys, new strategy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P2ev_czOxg"]Thermal Hog Hunt: Halloween 2020 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Great video Greg!

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                            Greg answered the question really really well. I think he needs to come work for me!lol

His points are all correct and valid. The only thing I would add is this, if you're getting out of the truck and zooming your XP50 up to 4x from the 2x base mag, then you bought the wrong scope. At the same time, Greg's point about the wider FOV are dead on. We really don't have enough info the say for sure which scope you need but it's worth noting, the XQ50 and the XP50 are vastly different scopes and if you need one of them, then the other one really isn't the right choice.

Back to my zooming up scenario; there is nothing wrong with zooming the XP50 up to 4x and shooting. But if you're doing it for every shot, then you probably should have gotten the XQ50. If you're using a handheld scanner or if you're going to keep the RXQ as a handheld then the FOV on your scope isn't quite as important because you won't be scanning with it.

Basically without knowing a lot more about your situation, this is my advice....

If you're scanning with the scope all the time, the XP50 is logical because of the low base mag and the FOV. If you're mostly shooting under 75 yards, the XP50 is the good choice. If you're shooting a whole lot over 100 yards and/or even out to 200 a lot, then go with the XQ50.

Overall the XP50 is a more versatile scope but it costs $1,200 more. If you like the lower base mag and wider FOV but don't want to spend the money on the XP50, then the XQ38 is the logical solution and it saves you $1,700. Just a thought.

Feel free to call me if you're got more questions.

Jason

I want to be able to comfortably shoot 100-200 yards. My rxq just isn’t the best out past 60-70 yards, I’m not comfortable with shooting it past that, reasoning why I want a better scope, especially stalking at night! It honestly sounds like I need the XQ50!

Comment

I want to be able to comfortably shoot 100-200 yards. My rxq just isn’t the best out past 60-70 yards, I’m not comfortable with shooting it past that, reasoning why I want a better scope, especially stalking at night! It honestly sounds like I need the XQ50!

I have the RXQ30V primarily for a handheld and sometimes loaner. I have the XQ38 on my AR and 200 is doable with it so the XQ50 would be a bit of an upgrade from what I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                                Greg answered the question really really well. I think he needs to come work for me! lol
                                Well, you know Jason, you have always been helpful when I have questions, I always have a great buying experience, you do a great job of providing educational information to the public. I always point people in your direction if they need anything related to thermal or night vision, so basically, I already work for you. Just like most of your other customers, I'm sure. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Comment

Working...
                                X