Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #551
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Iím liking it so far. Iím just more familiar with Pulsar and like the features.
I compared the image of the XG50 to the Halo Lr side by side before I sold the halo.. Looking at cows way way down in a big bottom, the Halo could give a positive ID at a lil further ranges.. Iíd say the image quality is 10-15%ish better on the halo. Iím happy with the XG50 and look forward to a hopeful image update soon.
Likes on the pulsar are
-Built in recording
-being able to swap the batteries while keeping the scope running
-I like the reticle options much more on the pulsar, especially being able to change the actual reticle color
-Iím a big fan of the sepia color palette now
-Image quality is fantastic and the 3x zoom is the PERFECT sweet spot for me

Dislikes on the XG50:
-The battery life sucks
-I run it on semi auto Nuc and it seems like Iím having to Nuc it pretty dang often compared to the Halo
-Iíve always liked killing on black hot.....but the image quality is the worst on black hot.. everything looks like blobs and thereís not much detail
Very fair review and I've been saying the XG50 has 10-15% less image quality than the Halo LR since the very first night I took it hunting back in the summer. I'm glad to hear the same thing from other unbiased end users. Every reasonable person I've talked to who has experience with both agrees.

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #552
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Iím liking it so far. Iím just more familiar with Pulsar and like the features.
I compared the image of the XG50 to the Halo Lr side by side before I sold the halo.. Looking at cows way way down in a big bottom, the Halo could give a positive ID at a lil further ranges.. Iíd say the image quality is 10-15%ish better on the halo. Iím happy with the XG50 and look forward to a hopeful image update soon.
Likes on the pulsar are
-Built in recording
-being able to swap the batteries while keeping the scope running
-I like the reticle options much more on the pulsar, especially being able to change the actual reticle color
-Iím a big fan of the sepia color palette now
-Image quality is fantastic and the 3x zoom is the PERFECT sweet spot for me

Dislikes on the XG50:
-The battery life sucks
-I run it on semi auto Nuc and it seems like Iím having to Nuc it pretty dang often compared to the Halo
-Iíve always liked killing on black hot.....but the image quality is the worst on black hot.. everything looks like blobs and thereís not much detail
Great review! I really like the XG, but I before I need to buy my 2nd thermal something else will come out.

I love my reap. Just wish it had onboard recording and 3x zoom. 2.5x is just not enough initial zoom for me
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #553
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

I looked through a Pulsar Thermal the other night, and, though the sensor was good, one of the higher resolution ones, the optics were not with poor edge clarity and a rounded field. Now, I don't know what model it was, but the guy bought it within the last year.
ultrastealth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #554
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
I looked through a Pulsar Thermal the other night, and, though the sensor was good, one of the higher resolution ones, the optics were not with poor edge clarity and a rounded field. Now, I don't know what model it was, but the guy bought it within the last year.
Sorry, I'm confused, did you look through multiple scopes or just one? You said the Pulsar was good but then said something else wasn't good. I know you said you don't know what model but without that info we can't really comment on what you were looking at. If you can find out the exact model it would be helpful.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:33 AM   #555
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
Yeah a lot more info would help. Thermals can be kind of finicky. I hunted with a friend a few months back that had a pulsar xp38. He had not done any research on thermals and just went to a big box store and bought one. He was complaining about how fuzzy / blurry everything was so I checked out. After a quick adjustment to the diopter and front focus, the image was crystal clear. Lots of other variables from identification modes to color palettes can have an impact on how the image looks.

Youíre best bet is doing business with someone like Jason who will be there to answer questions and walk you through issues that can come up
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2020, 04:49 AM   #556
Norseman
Four Point

Looking thru the PVS30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #557
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Looking thru the PVS30

Prime NV weather now with full moon. Only one dead?

Sucks cant sneak up too close with full moon, but its when NV works best
Old 10-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #558
Norseman
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post

2 total, Iím still working on my transition shots lol

Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #559
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:

Weíre definitely more cautious on full moon nights, but in wide open wheat fields we can still get to 60-70 yds every time. I ran a PVS 24 on my 6 Creed one full moon night this year, and I can recall several times we sat up at 30-35 yds for the first shot. All open fields and tons of ambient light.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #560
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX

Need opinions:

Pulsar Trail XP50 or XQ50?

Have a base model pulsar rxq30v and it doesnít do much good past 100 yards. Which one should I buy for longer range shooting?

justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #561
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindiehl7 View Post
Need opinions:

Have a base model pulsar rxq30v and it doesn’t do much good past 100 yards. Which one should I buy for longer range shooting?

I'm sure the professionals will be along any minute to give a better suggestion. My thought is this, if budget is not issue go with the XP50. the XP50 has a 640 core and 2x base magnification. lower base magnification is great for finding targets and also tracking and shooting at movers. The XQ50 has a 384 core and 3.5 base magnification. Higher magnification is better for the longer shots, but if you dial up the XP50 to 3.5x, it should still have a better picture quality than the XQ50 does at base mag. Magnification on these is digital, by my calculation the XP dialed up to 3.5x will be about 426 resolution. (dialed up to 4x would be 320) Again, if it's not a budget issue, then the XP50 will be more versatile, and will give just a good picture quality at 3.5x as the XQ50.
Field of view is so important when hunting at night.
GregO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #562
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Need opinions:

Have a base model pulsar rxq30v and it doesnít do much good past 100 yards. Which one should I buy for longer range shooting?

Greg answered the question really really well. I think he needs to come work for me!lol

His points are all correct and valid. The only thing I would add is this, if you're getting out of the truck and zooming your XP50 up to 4x from the 2x base mag, then you bought the wrong scope. At the same time, Greg's point about the wider FOV are dead on. We really don't have enough info the say for sure which scope you need but it's worth noting, the XQ50 and the XP50 are vastly different scopes and if you need one of them, then the other one really isn't the right choice.

Back to my zooming up scenario; there is nothing wrong with zooming the XP50 up to 4x and shooting. But if you're doing it for every shot, then you probably should have gotten the XQ50. If you're using a handheld scanner or if you're going to keep the RXQ as a handheld then the FOV on your scope isn't quite as important because you won't be scanning with it.

Basically without knowing a lot more about your situation, this is my advice....

If you're scanning with the scope all the time, the XP50 is logical because of the low base mag and the FOV. If you're mostly shooting under 75 yards, the XP50 is the good choice. If you're shooting a whole lot over 100 yards and/or even out to 200 a lot, then go with the XQ50.

Overall the XP50 is a more versatile scope but it costs $1,200 more. If you like the lower base mag and wider FOV but don't want to spend the money on the XP50, then the XQ38 is the logical solution and it saves you $1,700. Just a thought.

Feel free to call me if you're got more questions.

Jason
Old 11-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #563
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

First pig with the thermal. XQ50, 90yards with AR in 7.62 x39. One shot and down.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BrianL; 11-02-2020 at 09:58 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #564
kkp005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
First pig with the thermal. XQ50, 90yards with AR in 7.62 x39. One shot and down.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Heck yeah. Youíre hooked now
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #565
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Heck yeah. Youíre hooked now
Thatís an understatement
Old 11-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #566
GregO
Eight Point

I finally got another Hog kill with the Thermion. New toys, new strategy.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:26 PM   #567
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Great video Greg!
Old 11-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #568
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Greg answered the question really really well. I think he needs to come work for me!lol

His points are all correct and valid. The only thing I would add is this, if you're getting out of the truck and zooming your XP50 up to 4x from the 2x base mag, then you bought the wrong scope. At the same time, Greg's point about the wider FOV are dead on. We really don't have enough info the say for sure which scope you need but it's worth noting, the XQ50 and the XP50 are vastly different scopes and if you need one of them, then the other one really isn't the right choice.

Back to my zooming up scenario; there is nothing wrong with zooming the XP50 up to 4x and shooting. But if you're doing it for every shot, then you probably should have gotten the XQ50. If you're using a handheld scanner or if you're going to keep the RXQ as a handheld then the FOV on your scope isn't quite as important because you won't be scanning with it.

Basically without knowing a lot more about your situation, this is my advice....

If you're scanning with the scope all the time, the XP50 is logical because of the low base mag and the FOV. If you're mostly shooting under 75 yards, the XP50 is the good choice. If you're shooting a whole lot over 100 yards and/or even out to 200 a lot, then go with the XQ50.

Overall the XP50 is a more versatile scope but it costs $1,200 more. If you like the lower base mag and wider FOV but don't want to spend the money on the XP50, then the XQ38 is the logical solution and it saves you $1,700. Just a thought.

Feel free to call me if you're got more questions.

Jason

I want to be able to comfortably shoot 100-200 yards. My rxq just isnít the best out past 60-70 yards, Iím not comfortable with shooting it past that, reasoning why I want a better scope, especially stalking at night! It honestly sounds like I need the XQ50!

Old 11-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #569
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
I want to be able to comfortably shoot 100-200 yards. My rxq just isnít the best out past 60-70 yards, Iím not comfortable with shooting it past that, reasoning why I want a better scope, especially stalking at night! It honestly sounds like I need the XQ50!

I have the RXQ30V primarily for a handheld and sometimes loaner. I have the XQ38 on my AR and 200 is doable with it so the XQ50 would be a bit of an upgrade from what I use.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #570
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Greg answered the question really really well. I think he needs to come work for me! lol
Well, you know Jason, you have always been helpful when I have questions, I always have a great buying experience, you do a great job of providing educational information to the public. I always point people in your direction if they need anything related to thermal or night vision, so basically, I already work for you. Just like most of your other customers, I'm sure. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #571
Closetohome
Eight Point

Hunt In: El Campo,TX & Arizona and Utah

I did a bad thing today...bought a Pulsar Thermion XP50 at the beginning of the year and have moved it between my 338 Federal/6.5 Grendel/6.5 Creedmoor. Have been stunned with its performance although the shorter eye relief wasn't friendly with the 338 Fed recoil so it spends most of its time on the 6.5's. Since I went down the thermal scope route I inevitably found myself needing a thermal monocular for scanning as sticking the rifle in and out of blinds/removing from tripod got to be a pain. I also wrestled with having a second thermal dedicated to my Grendel for friends to come along or as a secondary backup. My budget wouldn't allow for both so I went with the best compromise.

I found a demo model Thermion XG50 which will now be my dedicated rig on my 6.5 Creedmoor. My XP50 is going in an American Defense QR mount and will be used as a monocular/scanner most of the time...and when I need a second gun it can be attached to the Grendel. While it's not the perfect solution it offered the best of both options and allows me to upgrade my dedicated thermal on my rifle.

Now I just need to sell my unopened Pulsar Digex 455 and intercept the Thermion delivery without the wife noticing.
Closetohome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #572
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetohome View Post
I did a bad thing today...bought a Pulsar Thermion XP50 at the beginning of the year and have moved it between my 338 Federal/6.5 Grendel/6.5 Creedmoor. Have been stunned with its performance although the shorter eye relief wasn't friendly with the 338 Fed recoil so it spends most of its time on the 6.5's. Since I went down the thermal scope route I inevitably found myself needing a thermal monocular for scanning as sticking the rifle in and out of blinds/removing from tripod got to be a pain. I also wrestled with having a second thermal dedicated to my Grendel for friends to come along or as a secondary backup. My budget wouldn't allow for both so I went with the best compromise.

I found a demo model Thermion XG50 which will now be my dedicated rig on my 6.5 Creedmoor. My XP50 is going in an American Defense QR mount and will be used as a monocular/scanner most of the time...and when I need a second gun it can be attached to the Grendel. While it's not the perfect solution it offered the best of both options and allows me to upgrade my dedicated thermal on my rifle.

Now I just need to sell my unopened Pulsar Digex 455 and intercept the Thermion delivery without the wife noticing.
Youíre going to really enjoy that XG50. I poked a couple bars earlier this week with my XG on a 22 Creed. One was at 275-280, and the other was at 220ish. The XG made them chip shots compared to my XP50LRF and XP38 Iíve had.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #573
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetohome View Post

I'm in the same boat, have an XP50, need a scanner. I think I'm going to order a Hogster for a scanner, and use it for a backup/buddy scope. I don't have the budget for an XG50 right now.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #574
justindiehl7
Ten Point

What helmet mounted night vision should I buy? Need it for walking into setups!

Old 11-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #575
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Sorry, I'm confused, did you look through multiple scopes or just one? You said the Pulsar was good but then said something else wasn't good. I know you said you don't know what model but without that info we can't really comment on what you were looking at. If you can find out the exact model it would be helpful.
Quote:
I've noticed that on my XQ50. It's the glass on the rear of the scope that has distortion if you aren't centered on the scope.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #576
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

So been looking into these for giggles for a more than likely purchase next year. Between these 2 which would yall recommend?

Pulsar RXQ30V
Bering Hogster R 1.4x5.6

I really am going to have a hard time justifying the Hogster at $2500 after tax. So really leaning towards the pulsar unit. But if it is that much better than the pulsar unit I can justify the extra $400. This would be used primarily as a night calling back up rig for coyotes and 2-3 times a year would get taken up by Childress area and go ham on pigs on wheat fields. I have been behind the pulsar trail xq50 and the pulsar thermion xp50. So I have experience with thermals and am aware of how the run work etc... and fully aware these sub 2500 units will not be on that level. But I have access to the thermion as a loaner from a buddy when I go chase hogs to use as the long range spotter in the big fields. I just want another thermal to use as a shooting optic once we get close to the sounder. And to be used as a spotter for dogs on stand less than 500 yds in, with most shots going to be sub 200 yds on coyotes and pigs.

So really guess my question is of these 2 optics.
Which has better
Image quality?
Detection range, How far is it for both?
ID Range, how far is it for both on a pig sized object?
Don't care about really any of the internal recording or any of that even though it is a nice to have option.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #577
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
So been looking into these for giggles for a more than likely purchase next year. Between these 2 which would yall recommend?

Pulsar RXQ30V
Bering Hogster R 1.4x5.6

I really am going to have a hard time justifying the Hogster at $2500 after tax. So really leaning towards the pulsar unit. But if it is that much better than the pulsar unit I can justify the extra $400. This would be used primarily as a night calling back up rig for coyotes and 2-3 times a year would get taken up by Childress area and go ham on pigs on wheat fields. I have been behind the pulsar trail xq50 and the pulsar thermion xp50. So I have experience with thermals and am aware of how the run work etc... and fully aware these sub 2500 units will not be on that level. But I have access to the thermion as a loaner from a buddy when I go chase hogs to use as the long range spotter in the big fields. I just want another thermal to use as a shooting optic once we get close to the sounder. And to be used as a spotter for dogs on stand less than 500 yds in, with most shots going to be sub 200 yds on coyotes and pigs.

So really guess my question is of these 2 optics.
Which has better
Image quality?
Detection range, How far is it for both?
ID Range, how far is it for both on a pig sized object?
Don't care about really any of the internal recording or any of that even though it is a nice to have option.
I will say this after hunting with thermal for 3.5 years and seeing ALOT of buddies get into it.

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE...Buy what you want the first time. Or else you will be selling again to upgrade. You get what you pay for with thermals.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #578
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
I will say this after hunting with thermal for 3.5 years and seeing ALOT of buddies get into it.

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE...Buy what you want the first time. Or else you will be selling again to upgrade. You get what you pay for with thermals.
This is fair but I can't justify dropping 5k at the moment on a thermal. I can justify 2500 ish. I would rather get into it and start killing stuff for the next 2-3 years then sell this one or keep it as a loaner and upgrade to a really really nice one. For 2-3 uses a year on pigs and maybe 10-15 nights a year calling coyotes I can't justify that kinda money. Especially when I have access to the 5k unit already.

Either one of these thermal units will absolutely smoke my current method of spots lights and cheap $400 dollar night vision. So anything at this point would be an upgrade.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #579
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
I'm in the same boat, have an XP50, need a scanner. I think I'm going to order a Hogster for a scanner, and use it for a backup/buddy scope. I don't have the budget for an XG50 right now.
I have had my XQ50 Thermion for about 6 months now. Have shot 14 pigs and 15 coyotes with it so far and really like it. Pretty much perfect for my needs as a primary shooting optic. Except, I need a scanner while hunting alone, stalking, and as second thermal for backup for my kids (2 of which are adults, lol) to shoot with.

I looked at a lot of options and studied for months before I ordered. Lots of options out there. I ended up ordering a Hogster R 35 and it should be here tomorrow.

Bottom line for me was this. None of the below $1500 scanners really seemed to offer what I was looking for as far as field of view. Once you get to $2k+ you are in the range of buying a good dual purpose scanner/backup optic. RXQ30 and Hogster 25 did not really put me in the place I wanted to be as far as being capable on 200-250 yard coyotes. Super Hogster is really nice, but FOV on it is 42'@100 yards, not much different than my XQ50 at 39'. Super Hogster is 2.9x vs my XQ at 3.5x, once again not much different.

Hogster 35 R though seemed to be the perfect blend for me. 2x base mag and a 56' FOV at 100 yards make it pretty dang good as a scanner. Plus it is very light and compact. I had a friend with one and I got to use it quite a bit one night as a scanner and it worked real well for that. I was impressed with the image at native magnification. Also after using his that night and watching tons of coyote videos with the R 35, it seems to be very capable of 200-250 yard coyotes. Basically it ticks all the boxes I need as a dual purpose unit.

Yesterday I ordered a Anker battery and cable for it off Amazon for $28 to use as an external battery. That battery is a little smaller than some people run but it should mount up in a 30 mm light mount making attachment easy, and give me as much run time as my old butt can handle. I'm too old for this all-nighter stuff anymore.

I am ready to get it all here and mounted up, and see how it works.
Jethro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #580
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
This is fair but I can't justify dropping 5k at the moment on a thermal. I can justify 2500 ish. I would rather get into it and start killing stuff for the next 2-3 years then sell this one or keep it as a loaner and upgrade to a really really nice one. For 2-3 uses a year on pigs and maybe 10-15 nights a year calling coyotes I can't justify that kinda money. Especially when I have access to the 5k unit already.

Either one of these thermal units will absolutely smoke my current method of spots lights and cheap $400 dollar night vision. So anything at this point would be an upgrade.
Watch the latestet episode on The Late Night Vision Show. It will pretty well answer your questions about which is best and why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3F...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #581
Lip
Ten Point

If anyone is looking for a used thermal:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=792756
Old 12-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #582
Jethro
Ten Point

Quote:

IMO, save another $200 and get the Hogster R 35. It is a big step up from the other two for not very much more money. At 200 on coyotes you will see a big difference over the other two you are looking at. I totally understand budget concerns. My first thermal got delayed for about a year because I figured out what I had saved was just not going to really do what I wanted it to, and knew long term I would be disappointed.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #583
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Watch the latestet episode on The Late Night Vision Show. It will pretty well answer your questions about which is best and why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3F...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for the suggestion but I am going to have a hard time sitting and watching a 45 minute video.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #584
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
IMO, save another $200 and get the Hogster R 35. It is a big step up from the other two for not very much more money. At 200 on coyotes you will see a big difference over the other two you are looking at. I totally understand budget concerns. My first thermal got delayed for about a year because I figured out what I had saved was just not going to really do what I wanted it to, and knew long term I would be disappointed.
If there is a drastic step up I am willing to go up a little more but I for sure can't justify the really nice 4K plus units for the amount of use it will see.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #585
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but I am going to have a hard time sitting and watching a 45 minute video.
Bottom line, if you can afford the hogster, it's worth the extra $
Old 12-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #586
duckmanep
Pope & Young

my wife's first shot using my Wraith. wrong kinda heart shot, but it dropped him dead.

https://youtu.be/7yOTXjsa9ig
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #587
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Recently got a Thermion XP50 and finally got some video with it. Not the best video, I wish it was an instant drop but I did find him 40 yards away. I think at the end of the video you can see him flop down, initially I thought that was him going over a small hill.

https://youtu.be/CodeIOXgisc

Last edited by Fordnandez; 12-17-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #588
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Give Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear a call.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #589
Jethro
Ten Point

Good pig videos guys. I love seeing pigs go down.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #590
Jethro
Ten Point

Stalked this coyote last night in a cotton patch. Towards the end he started coming to me. No idea why since I wasn't even calling. I think it was just the direction he wanted to come. Red monochrome on the Thermion XQ50.

https://youtu.be/_sGL5JQoLrg
Old 12-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #591
crash8005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
my wife's first shot using my Wraith. wrong kinda heart shot, but it dropped him dead.

https://youtu.be/7yOTXjsa9ig
Hahaha.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
crash8005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 02:07 AM   #592
kkp005
Ten Point

Been having pretty good luck with calling hogs in

https://youtu.be/QOLdZcQfNUY

https://youtu.be/FjBJwMdn6ho
Old 12-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #593
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

Love the videos, keep them coming.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #594
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:

Did you get a weight on the second one in the second video?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #595
kkp005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Did you get a weight on the second one in the second video?
Yes sir. We started getting the weight on all the bigger hogs we shoot. To be honest I can judge hog weights less now than before. Lol.. itís crazy how far off we guess. This is one weighed right at 200lbs.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #596
Jethro
Ten Point

Quote:

Good videos!
Old 12-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #597
Jethro
Ten Point

Another coyote video.

https://youtu.be/QFG45yFUc6w
Old 12-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #598
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes sir. We started getting the weight on all the bigger hogs we shoot. To be honest I can judge hog weights less now than before. Lol.. itís crazy how far off we guess. This is one weighed right at 200lbs.
It is super tough IMO to judge weight and I don't believe what anyone says unless they put it on the scales.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #599
Jethro
Ten Point

I agree, pig weights are really tough.

I tried using the hearth girth measurement thing for estimating weight for a while, but honestly I don't think it is much more accurate than guessing. I already had a good hoist that fits the pickup so I went ahead and bought a digital scale and now I weigh everything I am really interested in knowing the weight of. Have shot several around the 190-210 mark lately. Boar a few weeks ago went 224.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #600
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

One of my buddies I hunt with has a flatbed duramax with hay forks. He rigged up a scale set up to use on the top of his forks. Back the truck up, tie the legs, and lift it. Scale is already on the forks. Pretty slick and quick setup we use anytime we kill a decent sized hog. It raised a handful of 300+ this year.