Michigan Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michigan Public Land

Anyone have any experience hunting whitetail on Michigan public land? My wife's sister moved up to Iron Mountain on the upper part and trying to get us up to visit. Be worth taking my hunting gear or just leave it home?

My wife and I hunted Michigan 2 years ago and we are going back this November. We hunted Ottawa Co. She killed a 175 lb buck, we saw 2 deer and she killed one! I bow hunted and she rifle hunted with a muzzleloader. You wont see the number of deer like you do in Texas, so be patient. Dress warm and youll be ok. It stayed between 35-20 when we were there. Be sure also to read the hunting regs, a bit different than Texas. We had fun, so I would say yes, bring your hunting gear.

Comment

I would do it. Lots of big deer taken in the UP and Northern Wisconsin. I prefer archery the first two weeks of November. Bucks are responsive to grunt calls and you usually catch some rut activity. Once rifle season starts, the big ones go nocturnal.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter View Post
        My wife and I hunted Michigan 2 years ago and we are going back this November. We hunted Ottawa Co. She killed a 175 lb buck, we saw 2 deer and she killed one! I bow hunted and she rifle hunted with a muzzleloader. You wont see the number of deer like you do in Texas, so be patient. Dress warm and youll be ok. It stayed between 35-20 when we were there. Be sure also to read the hunting regs, a bit different than Texas. We had fun, so I would say yes, bring your hunting gear.
        Number of deer on public land? Midwest far and away has more numbers you'll see than texas public land.

Comment

Lived in southwest Michigan and the deer were plenty! Public land was plentiful deer were there you just had hike in pretty far 1-2 miles or ask landowners to access through their property. Usually if you killed a deer then asked the landowners if you could drag it through theirs they would give you permission to do cut across theirs from then on. I miss it.

Comment

I have some relatives in mi...to me, it's where texas is heading(discounting the few super-sized ranches) it's nothing to see a box blind in every corner of a 4 acre lot.. very, very few deer taken in mi will be over 2 1/2 yrs old...everyone hunts, and the land has been pimped to pieces there are a lot of deer in the lower penin, due to all the corn/beans/beets... u/p has less deer but get a little bigger... If you hunt the lower opening gun season, you'd think a war was going on... we arrowed many doe that were 150lb+

Comment

Working...
            X