bmw issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bmw issues

I have a 2009 bmw 328i with the 6 cylinder engine. For a while (more than a year) it has had an issue while idling. The rpm usually sits around 800 at idle, while sitting there, the rpm will drop to about 600 and then go right back to 800. It does this over and over. It will shake the car. It is sometimes worse and other times not as bad. I will also feel it while driving if I am just coasting and not pressing on the gas. I put the highest octane gas in it always. I have noticed that if I put in Chevron Techron complete fuel system cleaner it won't have this issue for that tank and usually the one after it. By the 3rd tank, it is back hiccupping. I put the techron in it about every other tank for more than a year.

So what is the techron doing that makes it work and what is wrong with the car?

Sadly, what is wrong with the car is the badge on it that says BMW. They don’t exactly have the best reputation for long term reliability which is why you can buy them used for so cheap.

If adding Techron is helping then you probably have an issue with the fuel system, more than likely injectors. Has this problem ever triggered a check engine light? If it has, it is probably for a cylinder misfire. That would tell you which cylinder is having the problem.

Comment

When my wife’s 325i did that it was a spark plug. Changed them all and the coils too and it was back to smooth idle

Comment

No clue on anything related to BMW but I would start with the fuel filter. Also I would try to get on some of the BMW forums or FB groups. No matter what care you have there seems to be a group of people somewhere that know them backwards and forwards, you just got to find them.

Comment

No check engine light have ever come up.

Comment

cheap fixes would be spark plugs. more expensive but fairly inexpensive would be mass airflow sensor, O2 sensor, coil packs and you could do them yourself. a good mechanic could diagnose so you aren't just throwing new parts at a problem that isn't there.

Comment

Plugs and Coil packs

Comment

Might look at the throttle position sensor .

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Xx6vHJh1s"]BMW 328i N52 Engine Stutter/Rough Idle Issue SOLVED* (E90/E92) - YouTube[/ame]

This sounds like your problem. Easy fix. I owned a 2007 325i that did the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    I have a 2009 bmw 328i with the 6 cylinder engine. For a while (more than a year) it has had an issue while idling. The rpm usually sits around 800 at idle, while sitting there, the rpm will drop to about 600 and then go right back to 800. It does this over and over. It will shake the car. It is sometimes worse and other times not as bad. I will also feel it while driving if I am just coasting and not pressing on the gas. I put the highest octane gas in it always. I have noticed that if I put in Chevron Techron complete fuel system cleaner it won't have this issue for that tank and usually the one after it. By the 3rd tank, it is back hiccupping. I put the techron in it about every other tank for more than a year.

So what is the techron doing that makes it work and what is wrong with the car?
                    Don't listen to these guys. BMW's are good. I've had 8 a span of 11 years. Your first issue is you bought a 328. Should have nought the greatest engine of all in the 335i. Secondly it's your spark plugs or ignition coils. Try going WOT and see if it stutters. Lastly it could be your injectors which sucks. You could also need a walnut blasting.

Comment

Pretty sure if you have a bad coil it would throw a code.

Comment

We just bought a 2022. The day before the warranty dies I will sell it...

Comment

I believe I have the N51B motor. I don't know if that matters.

Without a code, how do I know which coil to change?

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                            Sadly, what is wrong with the car is the badge on it that says BMW. They don’t exactly have the best reputation for long term reliability which is why you can buy them used for so cheap.

If adding Techron is helping then you probably have an issue with the fuel system, more than likely injectors. Has this problem ever triggered a check engine light? If it has, it is probably for a cylinder misfire. That would tell you which cylinder is having the problem.
                            This. I wouldn’t own one if someone gave it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Pretty sure if you have a bad coil it would throw a code.
                              Not necessarily, you could have 1 or more that's leaking and it wont throw a code

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X