Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Texas the only state that allows wild exotic stocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Texas the only state that allows wild exotic stocking?

I know there are some other states that allow ownership of exotic deer, but the ones I know of either don't allow you to hunt them, or require them to be penned up, tattooed, and inspected annually. So are there any other states that allow exotic deer to live wild in a high fence? Or is Texas truly the only one?

No

Comment

Thankfully , not in Wyoming anymore. We have 1 high fence ranch grandfathered in and it can not have exotics.
      Not a poke at Texas by any means but we don't need competition for our wildlife.

Comment

Not here in Wyoming, thank God! A wealthy out of stater came in here some years back and bought a big spread up in the Black Hills area and put up a high fence. His intention was to import exotic game. Game and Fish and the state shut him down, big time. I don't know how much money he spent high fencing but it was a lot, I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

No expert on exotics by any means but I know that Florida has lots of axis deer.

Comment

I thought it was a climate issue - I thought the reason texas was the best host for exotics was it’s climate and environment best suited to sustain and support those animals?

Comment

Florida

Comment

I think Wyoming has it right.

Comment

I love the fact that there’s a possibility of exotic game showing up when you’re hunting in Texas.

Comment

I’m pretty certain PA allows it as well. Oklahoma too maybe. I’m sure there’s plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
                      I thought it was a climate issue - I thought the reason texas was the best host for exotics was it’s climate and environment best suited to sustain and support those animals?

This. It’s how it was explained to me many years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Many states have high fence exotic hunts...Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc..

Comment

missiouri, Wisconsin, Pa, Ohio...on and on. Mostly everywhere but the Western states.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I love the fact that there’s a possibility of exotic game showing up when you’re hunting in Texas.
                            My thoughts as well.

Comment

No clue on all exotics but Blackbuck cannot survive cold weather for very long. Lots of people in Mills county lost many Blackbucks in Feb of last year. I didn't lose many adults but all the babies died and older grown adults.

Comment

Working...
                              X