Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever been a "Nielson TV " ratings family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever been a "Nielson TV " ratings family?

So a little while ago there was a knock at our door and it was a guy from Nielson - the TV ratings people. He was a nice enough young fellow and I've always been a bit intrigued by the whole TV ratings thing so I let him in to hear his spiel. He says that from our demographics - age, race, gender, occupation etc, we are on his list to represent our entire zip code - 20,000 people or so - and keep track of our viewing habits. They want to connect a box to the TV with a button representing each family member, which you are supposed to push when you are watching. So they extrapolate that info and assume we are representative of 20,000 people? How accurate can that be? Will they conclude that all 53 year old men in my zipcode watch nothing but The History Channel, Sportscenter, hunting shows, C-Span and Cash Cab? That 51 year old women watch American Idol religiously? (wait, that's probably spot-on) Anyway, it sounds like an annoying arse-whip to me. Of course they sweeten the deal by paying you $50 American - every 6 months! (no more generic mac and cheese for us baby, we're switching to Kraft!)
    Anybody ever done this?

Wow that's cool!!

Comment

They sent us a questionaire one time and for filling out they sent $5 or something. Thats cool you should do it.

Comment

So you have to get off the couch to push a button to register what you are watching? I don't think that would be for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
          So you have to get off the couch to push a button to register what you are watching? I don't think that would be for me.
          I think the box records what you are watching - they want you to push buttons so they know who in your house is watching a particular show. I just don't see how it can be very accurate - and alot rides on it - TV shows live or die by those ratings, not to mention it determines where billions in ads are placed.

Comment

We do the paper version just about every tv sweeps season. Get 30 bucks for our time each time we have done it.

Comment

I got a paper questionaire a few weeks back from them. Answered it online.

Comment

That's pretty cool Jerp. I think I'd have to jump on that. Having to get up to push the buttons sounds like a deal breaker, but otherwise I think it would be nice to help shows I actually watch get strong ratings. For God's sake though, don't let anyone in your house watch MTV, The Hills, The O.C., anything on 'E', Desparate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, or any shows similar and always watch 24, The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Fox News and please be selective with any hunting shows you watch because there's just some that need to go. Oh, and make sure you watch every NFL game on TV.

Comment

I think it's pretty cool. While I was in college, I started installing satellite systems to make ends meet. I've been in literally thousands of homes, apartments, condos, etc and never ran across the boxes but always wanted to see one. It sounds like a rare opportunity to me...

Comment

I got a paper deal in the mail. Almost went in the shred pile. Opened it and there was $2 inside.

Comment

Careful, kid probably works for big brother... and he's always watching.

Comment

Who the hell is Nielson anyway? He's a cheap ***!

Comment

Working...
                        X