Pond and Lake Management Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willwork04 View Post
    How many pounds of bass per surface acre per year should be culled?
    Depends on your baitfish population and habitat.

As a baseline, 50-75#/ac/year

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
      Michael thanks for coming out, very knowledgeable
      Thank you, great visiting with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
        Depends on your baitfish population and habitat.

As a baseline, 50-75#/ac/year
        HOLY MOLY. Seriously!? Wow. We are wayyyyy underdoing it.

Thank you for guidance.

What is the formula for calculating relative weight? We have records for all fish caught going back ~3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by willwork04 View Post
          HOLY MOLY. Seriously!? Wow. We are wayyyyy underdoing it.

Thank you for guidance.

What is the formula for calculating relative weight? We have records for all fish caught going back ~3 years.
          Pm on the way

Comment

I stock Tilapia every year to take the predation pressure off my Coppernose Bluegill.

They bread every 30 days and do a great job cleaning the algae out of the pond.

150#'s gets delivered on Friday.

FWIW, my biologist recommends I remove 100-150#'s of Crappie out of my pond every year and all bass under 15". I am waaaay behind the curve on those numbers.
            Last edited by Tbar; 04-28-2022, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Having some fun with Cyanobacteria today, also called blue green algae. Highly toxic stuff.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have a 1/2 pond in Point Blank that was built before I bought the property. It does not hold water very well. I’ve got someone coming to look at it to clean out, deepen and possibly add clay to stop the leaking. Hopefully the cost will not be too bad,

Comment

Ok I stocked some Floridas from Camelot some months back - 1-5 to 3.5 lbs. I have tons of bait fish - noticed today some of the Floridas eating my floating protein pellets so they must have been pellet trained. Question is this - will them eating protein cause them to not bite lures as much?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                    Ok I stocked some Floridas from Camelot some months back - 1-5 to 3.5 lbs. I have tons of bait fish - noticed today some of the Floridas eating my floating protein pellets so they must have been pellet trained. Question is this - will them eating protein cause them to not bite lures as much?
                    From what we have seen it can. They aren’t nearly the predators that non pellet trained bass are. The largest downside is that you can’t abruptly stop feeding, they rely almost solely on it and can take up to a year of tapering down to get somewhat back to normal predatory behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                      From what we have seen it can. They aren’t nearly the predators that non pellet trained bass are. The largest downside is that you can’t abruptly stop feeding, they rely almost solely on it and can take up to a year of tapering down to get somewhat back to normal predatory behavior.
                      the only time I quit feeding is in the cold months - should I keep feed going year round?

Comment

the only time I quit feeding is in the cold months - should I keep feed going year round?
                        I wouldn’t completely quit. I run once a day mid day during the winter.

Comment

Fish delivery day. 150#’s of Tilapia. They eat the pond algae, reproduce every 30 days and feed my bass. They also take the predation pressure off the Bluegill.

Comment

best treatment for hydrilla?? Sonar or Procellacor?

Comment

best treatment for hydrilla?? Sonar or Procellacor?
                              Our most recent state permit job was with Aquathol K.

All work and work well.

Comment

Great thread!

I'm about to treat algae and pond weed.

Any thoughts/advice on using Cutrine plus(liquid) for the algae and Aquathol K(liquid) for the pondweed?

What's the main difference between using the granular vs liquid?
                                Last edited by Birddog66; 05-09-2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X