Nosler BT effective range on deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    As the title suggests I’m wondering what the effective range is for Nosler BT’s on deer, specifically 140 grain 7mm-08.

I passed a super nice buck recently due in part to the distance (384 yards) and not knowing how effective they’d be at that range.
    that was well within easy good range,,, more an issue of the shooter than the bullet,,, if you can it could easily do it

Comment

No way I would have passed that shot on worrying about bullet performance.

If you weren’t confident you could make the shot, that’s a different story and completely understandable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
        A ton of animals are killed with the BTs. Well, many tons. My son shoots a 7-08 and I set him up with accubonds. I prefer bonded bullets as I like an exit wound in case tracking is needed. Thankfully we haven’t had to track. I can’t see any reason to shoot non-bonded BTs over the accubond at game. In theory, at the distance discussed, with a relatively mild non-magnum, the BT may actually be more lethal (with one in the vitals) as it will have better expansion than a bonded bullet. Then again, no question you won’t have an exit. Some like all energy “dumped” in the animal. I prefer adequate damage and two holes. :-)
        This man gets it.

Comment

I prefer nonbonded bullets on deer. The Nosler 120 grain 7mm ballistic tip has a thicker jacket. So it’s not unusual to have an exit on a heart/lung shot. I‘m not in to tracking deer. High shoulder or neck shots drop them on the spot. I don’t need an exit hole for tracking. But if you can’t shoot maybe a bonded bullet is what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            But if you can’t shoot maybe a bonded bullet is what you need.
            If you can't shoot, bullet selection is immaterial.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
              True. But a gut leaking out both sides is a better scent trail for the dog to follow. Or so I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
                I can shoot. Just never had an opportunity or need at that distance, so I’m not 100% sure where the bullet would’ve ended up. As I said in another comment I have the drop information from Nosler’s website up to 400 yards, but at that distance I tend to look at it more as a guide than an absolute.

I’m going to set up a large target at that point after the season and take some shots to see exactly what it does, that way if I ever have that opportunity again I’ll have the confidence to make the shot. As it stands, my longshots previously were no more than 250 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  True. But a gut leaking out both sides is a better scent trail for the dog to follow. Or so I hear.
                  That a bit of a straw man, to put it mildly. Cringe.

Comment

I can shoot. Just never had an opportunity or need at that distance, so I’m not 100% sure where the bullet would’ve ended up. As I said in another comment I have the drop information from Nosler’s website up to 400 yards, but at that distance I tend to look at it more as a guide than an absolute.

I’m going to set up a large target at that point after the season and take some shots to see exactly what it does, that way if I ever have that opportunity again I’ll have the confidence to make the shot. As it stands, my longshots previously were no more than 250 yards.
                    You are good at 384. Nosler says they will expand down to 1800 fps and you should be above that at 400 and i would guess even 500. Don't depend on the Nosler provided stats as they use a 24 inch barrel and are optimistic at that for IV. Find a buddy with a chrono and measure. 384 is a poke and there is no way I am taking that shot without knowing how fast that bullet is leaving my barrel. Vital zone on a deer is 6 to 7 inches, Would you say the kill zone on a deer's head is even half that. MOA at that distance is about 4 inches. You decide if a head shot is ethical in that situation.

Comment

That type of bullet should never be shot out of anything larger than a 22 caliber at any animal larger than a coyote. Now, I’ve got my popcorn….

Comment

Nosler BT effective range on deer

Very risky to use data that is not trued to your rifle and verified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                          That type of bullet should never be shot out of anything larger than a 22 caliber at any animal larger than a coyote. Now, I’ve got my popcorn….
                          I read an article that says that bullet won’t exit a coyote. They couldn’t print stuff like that if it wasn’t true.

Comment

Lol. It’s one of my favorites for reloading. I recognize it’s deficiencies on hitting bone at close ranges, but it is by far one of my most accurate bullets I load with. I know it’s limitations and roll with it. It’s not for everyone, but when properly placed, it’s devastating.

Comment

I’m not sold on the NBT. I found complete bullet destruction testing 300blk 125gr NBT shot from a 10” gun on water jugs at 100yards. All I found was a small lead core that was max 10-15grs.

I was expecting them to rapidly expand but at least somewhat hold together. I tested 3-4 and had Sam results.

With that being said I have killed a few animals with 6.5mm NBTs.

Comment

don't drown in the butter!

Comment

Working...
                                X