Native Bass vs Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native Bass vs Florida

I guess I don't understand the fascination with the Florida-strain ditch pickles.

Native black bass, are, well, Texans like us. They're also more aggressive, easier to catch, and fight harder once you hook one.

To me, they're also a prettier fish.

Is TPWD doing us a disservice by prioritizing trophy size fish over better fishing and a native species?

You are right that Natives are more aggressive and easier to catch but I disagree oh the fight harder. The reason Floridas are desired is because they, on average, grow much larger than Natives

Comment

All I can say is that bass fishing on my local lakes has changed alot in the last 10 years. I fish quite a few tournaments a year and the fishing seems to get a little tougher every year. More people fishing or the advances in technology may be to blame but who knows.

Comment

People want to catch those big, double digit bass. Girls from Florida are the way to do that.

Comment

We have Florida/Native crosses and they are pretty smart for farm pond bass. I would say they do fight harder than a straight up native bass though and grow really quick

Comment

I have stocked some of our ponds with both native and Florida. But the tank I mixed them the Florida bass just about killed the tank. Talked to a Biologist and he said Florida strain are way more aggressive and if you don’t have really good structure in the tank they can over eat and without continually stocking bait fish just about kill the tank. Yep that happened, and the Florida were way smarter, at least in our tank. About 1.5 acres. Just what I experienced.

Comment

I’d go with a mix. Natives won’t get as finicky in the winter time. Floridas seem to really get affected by cold fronts and temps.

Comment

Bigger please!

They're mostly crosses by now anyway.

Comment

I was under the impression that natives were pretty much long gone in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                    I was under the impression that natives were pretty much long gone in Texas.
                    Wait are we talking fish or people? Seems like all the fish these days are from Florida and all the people are from Cali.

Either way it's a shame.

Comment

Native Bass vs Florida

I’ve fished for pure florida strain Camelot bells and they fight way harder than a native bass. They get bigger faster too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Give me size over pretty any day... Although personally there is not much prettier bass wise than a larger Florida pulled out of an clear East Texas lake with hydrilla.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          I’ve fished for pure florida strain Camelot bells and they fight way harder than a native bass. They get bigger faster too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I agree with you on this. Those Camelots fight hard. We stocked our lake with Camelots as fingerlings about 2-3" long. I caught the first DD in yr 4. Thats impressive growth

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            I agree with you on this. Those Camelots fight hard. We stocked our lake with Camelots as fingerlings about 2-3" long. I caught the first DD in yr 4. Thats impressive growth
                            So that's a real thing. I always wondered if his fish were that great or just super well fed.

Comment

Supersize my order. Florida all the way

Comment

Working...
                              X