Livestock Guardian Dog - may need re-homing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Livestock Guardian Dog - may need re-homing

I am gauging interest in anyone that might need a young LGD for the ranch. We purchased this beautiful Armenian Gampr back in November from a good breeder in the Houston area. Our plan was to have him guard the birds (chickens and turkeys). However, we have seen he has more interest in playing/chasing birds (and sometimes eating the smaller ones). Had him cut at 6 months (March) and have been trying to get him as much exposure to his protectees as possible. But he is still just as crazy as before. I also have a 6-year old Aussie and for a while they were good together but now he just tackles her when he is just trying to play. Not sure what to do at this point. I would love to keep him but seems like I'm out of my knowledge of what to do with him. He may need a place with larger animals (goats/cattle) to be an effective LGD. He is a sweet puppy and he is smart. But just not sure he is the right fit for our place/animals.
    Attached Files

Best of luck to you.....I just picked up a 1yo Pyrenees that was supposed to be a goat/sheep LGD. I need one for my herd so I can move them out to our land but she is looking like a no go.

Comment

Thanks. He is a really sweet dog and I would love to keep him if possible. Just not sure what to do at this point. He just has a huge play-drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tcooper93 View Post
        Thanks. He is a really sweet dog and I would love to keep him if possible. Just not sure what to do at this point. He just has a huge play-drive.
        I have had shock collars work wonders on breaking dogs of bad habits. Might be worth a try. You can pick them up fairly reasonable on Amazon now days

Comment

Sounds like he is really young-he may just need some time. I know you don't want to hear that but some dogs just take a little longer before they take work seriously.

Comment

He is still in his puppy stage. I am betting that he will grow out of it. It would also help to have another LGD that he can play with instead of with the birds.

Comment

agreed

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
              He is still in his puppy stage. I am betting that he will grow out of it. It would also help to have another LGD that he can play with instead of with the birds.
              Definitely need a companion LGD that already "knows" his job, he would be putting the pup in his place. Since you don't, i would suggest the shock collar and only let the pup near the birds when you can supervisor and correct accordingly.

Good luck

Comment

I'm not a farmer but have family who are. Their LGD's are all raised on the farms with multi generations of guard dogs already there. They have the genes and the want-to but need the guidance of an experienced dog to get the hang of it @ a young age. Hopefully it will come with age but it's not a guarantee.

Comment

Tie a dead chicken around his neck . Let it rot off . He won’t kill a chicken again .

Comment

He is a puppy. You are giving up on him too early.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      Tie a dead chicken around his neck . Let it rot off . He won’t kill a chicken again .
                      I've heard old timers talk of this before.....Not sure if I could stand the smell of it though

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        He is a puppy. You are giving up on him too early.
                        Thanks. I don't want to give up on him. I agree he is still too young and would benefit from an older LGD but that is not possible. I do have a shock collar and he definitely responds but as always, you have to catch him in the act. Appreciate all the words of wisdom!

PS
                        I've heard about the dead chicken thing too...he'd probably still eat it lol

Comment

This dog is in need of a new home where there are other LGD. He has not settled into his role at our place. He is a smart dog but just needs others like him to be around. He most likely needs to be protecting goats or cattle.

Comment

up

Comment

I cant believe this boy hasnt found a new home yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X