LTC Expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTC Expired

Well, I messed up. Between moving, getting married, and remodeling the house, I let my LTC expire. It's about 6 weeks expired. I thought I had another year. Never got any mail or emails that I noticed...

I've been told there is a grace period and I''ve been told I automatically have to retake the test and go through the class.

Anyone else recently been through it? I went online and renewed my license as soon as I knew. But not sure if it will work because they said it would be 45 days...

Thanks for reminding me to check mine.

Comment

Don't know about the time frame for an expired renewal but my on time only took about 10 business days. I'd wait it out. You've got nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
        Well, I messed up. Between moving, getting married, and remodeling the house, I let my LTC expire. It's about 6 weeks expired. I thought I had another year. Never got any mail or emails that I noticed...

I've been told there is a grace period and I''ve been told I automatically have to retake the test and go through the class.

Anyone else recently been through it? I went online and renewed my license as soon as I knew. But not sure if it will work because they said it would be 45 days...
        Mine had expired in Jan, didn't notice until about 2 months ago. I simply renewed online. Took a while to get it.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think the grace period is 12 months expired before you would have to start the LTC process all over again (i.e. new application, class, etc.).

Being only 6 weeks expired, you should be able to renew online without any issues. Now, you might not get it for several months, which is a different issue.

Comment

You have 12 months to renew if expired. Meanwhile you cannot carry concealed.

Comment

I thought the new law made it legal to carry open or concealed removing the need for an LTC. This is directly from the state website.

Beginning September 1, 2021, HB1927 made it legal in Texas for most people 21 or over to carry a handgun in a holster without a permit both openly and/or concealed.

This law modified the previous open carry law from 2016 by eliminating the requirement to have a license to carry.

This means that most people 21 or over may carry a handgun without a license to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                I thought the new law made it legal to carry open or concealed removing the need for an LTC. This is directly from the state website.

Beginning September 1, 2021, HB1927 made it legal in Texas for most people 21 or over to carry a handgun in a holster without a permit both openly and/or concealed.

This law modified the previous open carry law from 2016 by eliminating the requirement to have a license to carry.

This means that most people 21 or over may carry a handgun without a license to carry.
                Not 100% the case - there are several places open carry is not allowed and you are required to have a LTC permit to conceal carry. I work at one of those places. Also, the LTC will allow you to bypass the Brady hold period for your purchase application.

Comment

WRONG!!!

I just wanted to say that

What you posted is true….. mostly.

Yes you can carry in public…. sometimes…. But there are benefits to the LTC and I suspect that most people want to keep it.

For an example while carrying in public, (and I don’t feel like reviewing all of the laws at this moment and I’m doing this kind of off of memory), you can carry concealed on a college campus with an LTC but if you carry concealed under constitutional carry, you can go to prison.

You can also carry in about 25 other states (that are not constitutional carry) with the Texas LTC, you can buy a firearm from and FFL with an LTC without going through a background check, etc.

If I remember correctly there were 4-5 benefits to having that LTC over just constitutional carry. For that reason some people want to keep theirs which is what this thread is about.

So while what you posted was not entirely correct, it mostly is. The constitutional carry law did eliminate the need for LTC if you wish to carry a handgun openly in your car or openly or concealed on the sidewalk. For other areas in situation, maybe not so much.

Comment

[QUOTE=tvc184;16193914]WRONG!!!

I just wanted to say that

You've been talking with my wife apparently

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, I just went online and did the renewal and address change.

Comment

Ok so I want the LTC then? Bc I am constantly carrying.

Comment

You've been talking with my wife apparently

There is some intense animosity in this forum on some threads so I wanted to at least once display anger….. jokingly.

Comment

Sounds like the “benefits” of having it ain’t worth the trouble. I’ve never had a LTC. Carry most of the time now. I don’t go to college anymore so I guess I’m good.

Comment

Ok so I want the LTC then? Bc I am constantly carrying.
                              It depends. Once you get it I think it is $40 for a five year LTC so it comes out to $8 a year. For some people that is a very nominal expense for the added protection of some locations, being able to carry in half of the other states, being able to buy a firearm without a background check, etc.

If you are an honorably retired veteran, I think it’s $25 for five years so I an even better deal. That comes out to about 42 cents a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X