Missed a Buck - Weird Jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed a Buck - Weird Jump

Hey Guys, December 18' I had the opportunity to take a decent buck. But, it wasn't meant to be...

I had hunted this stand(ground blind) for a few days and had cleared out the few limbs that would have deflected my shot. On this afternoon, this buck appeared at 50 yards. He sneaked in on my forward blind side and made me. It was a stare down, then he turned and started quartering away. Then I checked him with my binoculars, and noticed he was a shooter. As I reached for my gun, he continued to quarter away... I shot at him with my 243 in the neck front shoulder region, HE RARED-UP ON HIS HIND LEGS AND JUMPED STRAIGHT UP, then he bolted into the brush. I waited as long as I could to go look, approximately 45 minutes since it was late. Well no blood and never found him.

Anyone have an ideas about this leap? Do you think I hit him?

Sounds lime a brisket shot. Flesh wound that burned his front chest area low and he jumped away from it.

Comment

Crawl around in the direction you think he went never know you might find bliod

Comment

I know of very many deer shot with a 2-wimpy-3 and that have been lost.
        OK no haters please just my experience. I know plenty of animals have been killed with a 243 or even smaller but just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by bowmedic View Post
          Sounds lime a brisket shot. Flesh wound that burned his front chest area low and he jumped away from it.
          Thanks. I should have grunted to stop him.

Comment

Sounds to me from your description like you probably pierced his neck. That’s probably just a injury.

A quartering away shot is a pretty tough shot to begin with. You really should have aimed toward the hind, lower part of the rib cage, hoping the arrow will hit the heart and or lungs. The more forward you hit the better your chances of not hitting vitals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Am I the only one that has read any part of the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                Am I the only one that has read any part of the thread?
                I think you are right..

AS for the post, 243 is plenty of gun for any whitetail in the country. Have killed 100s with that caliber... Sometimes it is just not meant to be. Did you put a trail cam out and see if he ever showed back up

Comment

It don't matter if it was a 243 or a 300wm. If the bullet don't hit any thing vital, they are not going to be found dead. I have shot elk with a 243, if you hit them in the lungs, heart they are going down in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                    I think you are right..

AS for the post, 243 is plenty of gun for any whitetail in the country. Have killed 100s with that caliber... Sometimes it is just not meant to be. Did you put a trail cam out and see if he ever showed back up
                    I didn't use a trail camera afterwards, I can only make one trip per season. I did hunt there for two more days, but I didn't see him. Thanks

Comment

You probably shoot low and just grazed him. He will be alright and you can get him this year.

Comment

Considering you shot him in Dec. '18, maybe the bullet hasn't arrived yet.

Sounds like a flesh wound to me.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                          Considering you shot him in Dec. '18, maybe the bullet hasn't arrived yet.

Sounds like a flesh wound to me.

Doug
                          oh my darn.

Comment

Just like if you banged your elbow into something, your instinctive reaction is to pull away from whatever just caused you pain. Sounds like you hit forward in a non-lethal fashion.

My kids and I have put over 100 deer (mostly doe) in the freezer over the last 15 years with only a .223, 55gr V-max, without a single loss. 1 tracking job due to poor trigger squeeze, but recovered. Its really about good shot selection and bullet placement. I don't do quartering shots due to potential of rumen rupture.

Sounds like a good chance your buck could survive.

Comment

Working...
                            X