No announcement yet.

2021 Coon Carnage Count Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#74. No pic but he was caught in a snare.

Comment

7 confirmed kills, lost 2 due to the wire holding the trap breaking and another 1 chewed his leg off. That brings the count up to 81. Using Duke traps baited with sardines.
      Attached Files

Comment

#82 over the weekend. Rifle over the feeder. Setting muchos coon cuffs soon.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
          So im ready to tackle our coon problem. We have several feeders that have 6-7 around them. Im guessing the Dukes coon trap is the best way to go. I woudnt mind catching a coyote as a by catch too but guessing they wont take the coon bait.

Do we have a consensus on what the best bait is? I see anything from corn/protein, marshmellows to cat foot.

Thanks for the tips

The best bait is whatever catches your coons that day. Tops are corn, protein, marshmallows, and dry cat food. Some use sardines or dog food too. They are there for corn or protein daily.... so it’s easy to get and fill each trip .. plus in the summer the ants don’t get to it or it doesn’t melt during the day like marshmallows. You can drive up to the pen, look and drive away if there aren’t coons in them. Marshmallows are dang good as well. It puts a sweet smell in the air and it’s something different. We’ve caught a lot of coons on small marshmallows w/ corn or protein mixed or a single large marshmallow. In the spring and summer, the marshmallows do get attacked by ants during the day and they melt in the heat. So do sardines. That combo makes a mess. We usually set traps right before dark, and check them the next morning. In the summer, with traps not hit, with marshmallows, we take them out and spring the trap to be set again that evening. With straight corn and protein you just drive up and drive away... or if you have a Covert cell cam set them in front if it and never have to drive down until you get a customer. The protein and corn is definitely easier, cleaner and very effective if you don’t have feed laying around everywhere. Try em all and see what your coons prefer.

Comment

Thanks Jason I knew you’d have good info

I saw a guy using dry cat food and squirted some fish oil on it. That seem like it would be great bait.

I think I’ll start off of for traps 2 at each feeder location and go from there.

Comment

I need more traps for the spring, who has best deal

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                I need more traps for the spring, who has best deal

I found Ebay and Amazon do. How many do you need?

Comment

TWO

FOUR
                  The "Improved" Duke Dog Proof Coon Trap features a fully enclosed dog proof design with powerful coil springs, a trigger system and a staking system. When the raccoon reaches in for the bait, the trap will go off.

Comment

85 & 86

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      I found Ebay and Amazon do. How many do you need?
                      Appreciate the info.

I'm thinking 6 more. I started with 12 a couple of years ago and have since lost two.

Comment

87,88,& 89

Duke trap with dog food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

#15 off of same feeder

Comment

93. Two with Coon cuffs and one in live trap on dead mouse bait!?!?

Corn and marshmallows on cuffs.

BP

Comment

100!
                              7 more on dog proof traps with dry dog food.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

101 last night,

#16 off of feeder, would not have thought I could catch 16 in 3 years in one spot let alone 3 months

Comment

Working...
                                X