My longest Texas Road Trip ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was well planned but ended up being my shortest Texas Road Trip ever!!

For many of the past 20 years I've driven down from Minnesota to Texas during our winter to go hog hunting. This year I had a 14 day trip planned that allowed me to finally make it to a Bownanza, go catfish fishing, hog hunting and do some other fun stuff. On the eve of my departure date, Thursday the 12th, the ranch that I was going to spend my time at and then take my family hunting at later in the week, called and asked that we not come. They were concerned about us bringing the Corona virus with us. I understand their situation as my oldest daughter was flying in from a "hot spot" and my other daughter and my Mom were also flying down. No hard feelings with them. Before I hung up with them I had made up my mind that I was going anyway to do some of the other things I had planned!

My first stop was at Specialty Leathers in Boone Iowa. They are the only tannery in the country that can properly tan beaver tail leather and I had several that I wanted done. Very cool place and they gave me a tour! They had elephant, water buffalo, bison, beaver tails and alligator hides all in the tanning process.

Second stop was Jewett Texas. My last name is Jewett and visiting this town has been on my bucket list for a long time. There is even a "State Bank of Jewett"! I thought about going in and asking for all of that money that must be mine because my name is on the building. I decided against it as that would have really messed up my trip!

Next stop was the Friday night pre-party. Some lady was cooking up sausage and venison bacon and doing a great job of it! I met several folks but didn't hang around much as i was tired.

BOWNANZA! I can't say enough good things about it. Everybody was friendly and the food was all great. It was good to put names with faces and I had good visits with many people. It was interesting how many have a connection to Minnesota-be it family, work, hunting, canoeing trips, etc. This is the first gathering I've ever been to where people told me I had an accent! Many thanks to all involved, especially Mary and Michael. I certainly hope to make this an annual event.

I left Bownanza at 2 and drove over to Hondo to visit a friend and pick up my daughters javelina hide from last year's hunt that he had gotten tanned for her. It was good to see him.

At this point I had nothing to do until the fishing trip with RiverRat1 (thanks again for the awesome offer Tim) started on Wednesday. Not that I didn't have anything to do so much as I hadn't packed what I needed to be self sufficient for that time. With the suddenness of losing the ranch to stay at I just hadnt thought it thru well enough and motels and restaurant food were not an option. Hindsight is wonderful but if I had thrown in my camping/outdoor cooking gear I would have been fine. Instead, I headed home cutting 10 days off from my trip. As short as it was, it was a win!

My job doesn't expect me back until the middle of next week so instead of shooting hogs in nice warm weather I'm going to spend the time on the ice and snow doing some under ice beaver trapping/snaring.

Sounds like you had a great trip!!

Comment

great you made it down, bummer you got cut short?

Comment

Glad you made it. Please come back next year!

Comment

It was nice talking with you, hope to see you next year

Comment

That’s awesome. You are making my excuses for not making nanza look bad though.

Comment

You are definitely the Travel MVP! Enjoyed meeting you in person.
              I hope the family can make it with you next year.

Comment

If you were in Jewett you weren't far from me. Hogs everywhere here and I would have been happy to let you hunt. I killed two yesterday with one shot.

Comment

Outstanding commitment! I'm sorry you didn't get to meet some of the BEST TBHer's that could not make it this year!

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post

Next stop was the Friday night pre-party. Some lady was cooking up sausage and venison bacon and doing a great job of it! I met several folks but didn't hang around much as i was tired.

BOWNANZA! I can't say enough good things about it. Everybody was friendly and the food was all great. It was good to put names with faces and I had good visits with many people. It was interesting how many have a connection to Minnesota-be it family, work, hunting, canoeing trips, etc. This is the first gathering I've ever been to where people told me I had an accent! Many thanks to all involved, especially Mary and Michael. I certainly hope to make this an annual event.
                    That would be our very own Nannyslayer (Stephanie) 👍

Great to meet you and visit awhile Joe. You are definitely to be commended for the commitment sir! Hope we get to see you again at a future Nanza. 👍
                    Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Outstanding commitment! I'm sorry you didn't get to meet some of the BEST TBHer's that could not make it this year!
                    Precisely the only reason we still have a chance of seeing him in the future 😂😂

Comment

Great to meet you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It was good meeting you Joe. Sorry your trip was cut short! See you next year!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                          That would be our very own Nannyslayer (Stephanie) 👍

Great to meet you and visit awhile Joe. You are definitely to be commended for the commitment sir! Hope we get to see you again at a future Nanza. 👍

Precisely the only reason we still have a chance of seeing him in the future 😂😂
                          lol!!!

Comment

It was me that talked to you about canoeing.the boundary waters are fantastic!
                            It was great meeting and getting to know you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everybody. Definitely hope to get to Bownanza again! I'll be sure to have a backup plan next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X