No announcement yet.

Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff Masters. Really nice paleo San Patrice on bottom. That's an Early triangular on the left and a worn out Calf Creek or Bell on the right. All rare.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
      The other side
      This one intrigues me! It has some real hints of extremely early types as well as flaking. Its also made of a blade struck directly from a core. Wrap that one up really good. Ill do a little studying on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
        School me on the flute. Whats so special about them?
        Some of the earliest and rarest on North American artifacts were not stemmed but instead had a concave base with a large fluting channel struck from the base in order to recess the haft into the point. Any true fluted artifact is rare and potentially valuable. Here is an example.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Some of the earliest and rarest on North American artifacts were not stemmed but instead had a concave base with a large fluting channel struck from the base in order to recess the haft into the point. Any true fluted artifact is rare and potentially valuable. Here is an example.
          Thanks brother. Whats something like that go for?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
            Thanks brother. Whats something like that go for?
            The one in my hand has some small dings on it. If it had those little dings back, it would go in the hundreds of thousands. As it lies, its worth a nice vehicle or a double wide trailer.LOL

Comment

MRC, here are some known Clovis tools from a site in Ohio. Note how several are bades from a long flake blade struck from a core and hafted from the small end. Also note the small flutes like yours has on the small ends. Yours would fit this picture perfectly.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                Hmmm, don't think I do. Got a pic of it? I found one two years ago while digging for flint points. Wasn't expecting that!

That's what you call a nice big ol hog skinner.

Masters, what's the story on the paleo piece? Looks like a sweet Clovis!
                I found the paleo point with my grandpa in falls county when I was very young, he kept it for me and after he passed a few year back I inherited it back. I had always thought it was a Clovis, but it's short (prolly 3" if it had the tip). Others had suggested it to be a plainview but I always thought those to be unfluted. It's is defiantly the darkest point I have ever picked up. The others were found in bexar county recently.
                Last edited by MASTERS; 01-18-2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Dang Masters,I didn't even see your Clovis because of how the pictures loaded. I didn't arrow over that far. That's a killer! Clovis all the way. An authentic 3 inch Clovis is a nice one. 99 percent of those 6 inchers are fakes.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 01-18-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Dang Masters,I didn't even see your Clovis because of how the pictures loaded. I didn't arrow over that far. That's a killer! Clovis all the way. An authentic 3 inch Clovis is a nice one. 99 percent of those 6 inchers are fakes.
                    I understand that's what I had been told also. I wonder how far they traded to get that dark material to use for making them? Most of the artifacts I have found in that area are much lighter in color. Also if I had the tip repaired would that hurt its monetary value?

Comment

Im not sure what the material is. You wont gain any value by having it restored. If its done well, you wont loose any either. Main thing is to have an understanding with the restorer that the restoration be removable without damaging the ancient point.

Comment

What about this little arrowhead I found in San Saba county? I'm not any good at ID ing them. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Honestly I would think one of my fellow hunters was just messing around with some flint. I doubt that one is ancient, but hey, maybe it was an inexperienced native that made it. Don't think so though.

Comment

u think? There were if I can remember 2 other found almost in the same area. Problem is I was about 16 when I found it and now 38 yrs old cant remember exactly where. Its been in a hidden box with some silver quarters and old 2 dollar bills I got as a kid.

Comment

Im sure that it origionally came from a native camp but I figure it was only a chip until it was altered by someone modern. Anything is possible but the lack of worked edges leaves me believing it wasn't an ancient arrowhead. There are likely authentic points where it was found though.

Heck that is just my opinion from a picture on a web site. If you like it, who am I to change that.
                              Last edited by GarGuy; 01-18-2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

The one in my hand has some small dings on it. If it had those little dings back, it would go in the hundreds of thousands. As it lies, its worth a nice vehicle or a double wide trailer.LOL
                                Have any idea how often one of those higher valued points are found in Texas? With a value like that I am thinking not often?

Comment

Working...
                                X