No title for trailer registration ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
    In Tx, utility trailers don’t have titles unless they are over 7000# GVWR. If you buy one new, you set a certificate of origin but not a title to take to get the trailer registered. Not sure what the process is for a used trailer without that? I presume a bull of sale would suffice though.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm doubting that statement. I have a title on my 16' utility trailer, just sold a 14' enclosed trailer with a title and bought a 20' enclosed trailer with a title. All of those trailers are labeled as 7000# GVWR. You don't have to get them inspected.

Comment

I recently tried to register a small boat trailer but the name on the bill of sale didnt match the last person it was registered to in TX. I have the certificate of origin also but now they want me to get bonded title since everything didnt line up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        Register as homebuilt and I’d prefer one with a plate already, so it’s in the system.
        You have to have a material list and then that list has to stay with the title from there on out!

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
          I'm doubting that statement. I have a title on my 16' utility trailer, just sold a 14' enclosed trailer with a title and bought a 20' enclosed trailer with a title. All of those trailers are labeled as 7000# GVWR. You don't have to get them inspected.
          You are exactly Correct!

Comment

My material list would be "oxygen and acetylene, scrap steel and lumber." I've never heard of such here in Brazos county. I have five home made trailers right now. I've never been asked for anything when getting plates for them as home made trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
              When you register a trailer homemade in Montgomery county. They make you take it to the counties auto theft department and go over it. If it has any markings on it that show it is not "homemade" and you can't prove where you got it, they will confiscate it
              Isn't the registration for the state of Texas, the fees just go to the county but the registration in the state should be the same any where. I believe that the theft inspection is for titled trailers over 7k#.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
                Isn't the registration for the state of Texas, the fees just go to the county but the registration in the state should be the same any where. I believe that the theft inspection is for titled trailers over 7k#.

Trust me. MOCO will take your trailer if you can’t prove you built it.

Comment

When you register a trailer homemade in Montgomery county. They make you take it to the counties auto theft department and go over it. If it has any markings on it that show it is not "homemade" and you can't prove where you got it, they will confiscate it
                  This is why i try to do any of my vehicle registrations in Fayette county. If someone were to run against Tammy Rae i would struggle to find a reason to not vote for them.

Comment

This varies greatly by county so it’s likely none of us can tell you for sure.

I can tell you that the days of just registering any trailer as home builds are over in Montgomery
                    County.

We have to go to tax office and get a temporary tag.

Then pull trailer to the auto theft office where it is inspected. If they find and numbers on it they may confiscate.

If they think it’s a factory made trailer without paperwork they will not register it as home built.

Material receipts and pics of the build progress are the only sure way to get home built tags in MoCo

Comment

No title for trailer registration ?

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post

That’s why I specified utility trailer in my post above. I have no clue about enclosed, or any other kind of trailers. If it’s a dual 3500# axle trailer, and has a GVWR of 7000# or more it gets a title.

And you are correct about 7000# not needing an inspection. They raised to(I believe) 7500# a couple years back.

Bisch

Disclaimer: that’s the way it was in Williamson Cty when I bought my trailer a few years back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Bisch; 04-24-2021, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Register as homemade trailer, I've done plenty.

Comment

Brother in law bought a trailer from His uncle who is a welder by trade and does great work. Took it to the task force and they went all through it even using paint stripper on a brand new trailer. They never found anything because there was nothing to find. They finally told him the serial number must have been filed off because it was obviously too nice to be shop made and confinscated it. He never did get it back, guilty until proven innocent

Comment

Orange County is this way also. Several years ago I boat an aluminum boat and the trailer was currently tagged but not titled. It was a nightmare finally getting the tags renewed when it was time. Had to go through the task for and all. I’ll never buy another trailer of any kind without a title to it.

Comment

My boat I bought from a dealer used the manufacturer never issued a title for the trailer. I called them as well and they said that was true. It wasn’t required I guess to issue them until a certain year I believe.
                              Wouldn’t think a dealership could sell it to yea if that wasn’t true. Has been registered to me for 3/4 years now. No issues

Comment

regulations keep changing, these are current ones for Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X