No announcement yet.

You’re getting old when......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid and the family would make the trek to Houston from Lufkin, I remember my dad commenting that once they get that 4-lane finished all the way, Houston will be just an after dinner drive!

I used to dove hunt a place just South of Humble where the Shell Houston open used to be held. Last year we got to hunt it, half my doves fell on the pavement to that new-fangled beltway...

I remember when Gallery Furniture was Gallery Model Home Furniture and it was in 2 old model homes and a bunch of tents at 6006 I-45 North... I remember when I-45 ended at Tidwell Road. It was under construction and I used to ride my bike on the overpasses at Parker and Little York.

Course I also remember when they were building Sam Rayburn and how mad all of us were because they were gonna mess up some of the best squirrel and deer hunting in the world when it flooded... We were fishing one time in the river just below where the Angelina and Attoyac rivers came together. We were looking up this big long new right of way that had been cut through woods all the way from the river up to a boat ramp that seemed like it was WAY up on top of a big hill and a mile from the river. My dad said, "Ain't no way in hell water is EVER gonna get up there!" That's Shirley Creek Marina todday...

Comment

I killed my first deer and turkey in what is now the JW Marriott hill country in SA. My dads buddy was into real estate and had land all over that area and we got to hunt those tiny hill country deer. I killed a 6 point melanistic buck there as well. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, I'll play. I remember when FM 1960 was called "Jackrabbit Road" and there was nothing but prairie between I-45 (old hwy 75) and 290.
        Even in the late 70s I quail hunted on a thousand acres on the SE corner of I 45 and 1960.
        I remember when the north side of Houston began at about loop 610.

Comment

We used to hunt dove two or three evenings a week and on Saturday off of where Tarrant Parkway is now. It's a sub division surrounded by sub divisions and school.
          It's not progress.
          Fortunately as I age I creep closer to death and won't have to be around when this plant looks like Coruscant. One big city of filth.

Gary

Comment

Remember driving down on 59 from up here. 59 was 2 lane thru all the little towns along the way. Widened out to 4 lane right out of Humble. Wound right thru downtown then out south toward Sugarland. Most everything there was planted cropland. Sugar cane and cotton. Always looked good considering most all labor was free courtesy of TDC back when they actually made money for the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              It has sure changed a lot in the 20 years since I graduated high school. The old kroger that is now Harbor Freight is where every party started.

The hood we live is where I killed my first few deer.

The 2 high school thing still kinda trips me out.
              Planning a 3rd right now.

Comment

Burnadell remembers his first kill. Told me he got a saber tooth with an atlatl

Comment

You're old if you remember when this was the tallest building in Downtown Dallas.
                  Attached Files

Comment

^^^
                    Don't remember the exact skyline but do remember Pegasus being along the top.

Comment

Loop 12 and Beltline were the way around downtown Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        No truer words.

When I was mad at the prairie ducks my dad and I would drive by houses and he would talk about hunting in that area. We'd drive further south and hunt. Now, I drive by those spots further south and tell my kid I used to hunt there.

1/2 million dollar homes on places between katy and Fulshear where we would slaughter birds from dove season to late goose. Even snipe a pig or two after hunts

Yup those geese used to pile up along I-10 at Beltway 8. I've seen so many geese the ground was white where the Igloo plant is now.... them geese gotta swing way right when coming down now just to see a patch of green

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

I remember when Gallery Furniture was Gallery Model Home Furniture and it was in 2 old model homes and a bunch of tents at 6006 I-45 North... I remember when I-45 ended at Tidwell Road. It was under construction and I used to ride my bike on the overpasses at Parker and Little York.
                          Thats where I grew up and still remember those Gallery tents as well...and much later on the beanbag tower down the road. My great grandparents had a grocery store and were told to pack it up and move...building a new freeway right on top your place!! Which would now be the underpass of 45/airline.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                            Yep, the woods across from my folks' house in Keller on FM 1709 are now a plastic surgeon's office, an oral surgeon's office, gold course and big fancy houses. Was a horse ranch with lots of wooded area and a creek running through it. We had free run of the place. It was a great place to grow up. The place I used to dove hunt and fish some of the best stock tanks around is now a huge neighborhood. It was a good sized dairy farm. Funny, they named the neighborhood the same thing as the actual dairy farm that used to be in that spot "Crawford Farms", up in north Fort Worth/Keller. Mr. Crawford was the owner/operator of his dairy farm, but was also the counselor at the high school. I was friends with his youngest daughter. We were able to fish any time we wanted. Dove hunting was pretty solid around those stock tanks during dove season. Every time I drive by there, I remember and wonder if the folks that live in Crawford Farms even realize that it actually was "Crawford Farms." I'm told when he finally cut it loose, he sold that place for $11,000,000.00! Wouldn't surprise me at all, it was a good sized chunk of land in a prime spot.
                            I had the hunting and fishing rights on the place that bordered Crawford's Dairy to the west. From his west fence, to old Denton Rd. I killed enough dove over there in 10 years to cure hunger in some small countries.....all for shooting a few yotes, and helping the man with his cows.

I went to school with Jamie Crawford for a good while, and remember Mr. Crawford working at the high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I had the hunting and fishing rights on the place that bordered Crawford's Dairy to the west. From his west fence, to old Denton Rd. I killed enough dove over there in 10 years to cure hunger in some small countries.....all for shooting a few yotes, and helping the man with his cows.

I went to school with Jamie Crawford for a good while, and remember Mr. Crawford working at the high school.
                              Yep, Jamie and I were friends and were in the youth group together at Mt. Gilead Baptist Church. D-Mo, every time stuff comes up about the Keller area, you and I end up knowing lots of the same folks. I bet if we were to get together for a cold one, we'd figure out alot of folks we have in common.

Comment

I'm not old but when we moved from the Fresno Arcola area I was in the 8th grade. That was as far as you could go in manvel, after that you had to go to highschool in Alvin. 521 was 288 and there were surveying stakes for what was to become 288. Nothing between Arcola and Sugarland except a blinking yellow light in Dewalt. I helped my dad move cows off the ranch that became Quail Valley.

Comment

Working...
                                X