No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught the mate last night to the fox that the coyote ate before being caught a couple nights ago.

Always run 4 coils where there are a decent amount of foxes in hopes they wouldn’t fire a set but I guess these persistent little sons of guns are going to make a liar out of me.

Comment

Ol’ Mavis K was sure happy to see the expired pasture pooches!

Comment

Y'all make it look too easy.... Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          We run a few K-9 extremes , regular ones, and they are nice.
          We also run MB550 and some Bridger#3. We have a few Victors also.

Might be a good time to pick up some good used traps with fur prices down.
          Back in the 70s we were getting $30.00 a hide for coons. Down here now they are not worth skinning.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            We run a few K-9 extremes , regular ones, and they are nice.
            We also run MB550 and some Bridger#3. We have a few Victors also.

Might be a good time to pick up some good used traps with fur prices down.
            Id sure like to pick up a dozen or two used mb 550's to the pile if you know of anyone getting rid of some.

Comment

Last edited by BTLowry; 11-18-2022, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                Id sure like to pick up a dozen or two used mb 550's to the pile if you know of anyone getting rid of some.
                Not sure if you get on trapperman but there’s a guy on there that sold me 3 dz and he has tons more.

Comment

Always run 4 coils where there are a decent amount of foxes in hopes they wouldn’t fire a set.
                  Pan tension is what keeps lighter animals from tripping the trigger, not coil strength, per se.
                  Get you pan tension up to about 4 lbs. for coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                    Pan tension is what keeps lighter animals from tripping the trigger, not coil strength, per se.
                    Get you pan tension up to about 4 lbs. for coyote.
                    Maybe I’m wrong but the more coils the greater the pan tension from the start is, unless you have the dog modified for a night latch.

Mb550’s with 4 coils without any adjustment gets me about 4# of tension on the pan and the same mb550s in 2 coils is about 2 3/4#.

I know more coils speeds up the firing once the trap is stepped on as well but with not touching the mb550 2 coils(factory stock) and adding 2 more helper coils the pan tension is increased in my experience.

I could be waaaay off but that seems the way it has been.
                    Last edited by MASTERS; 11-18-2022, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                      Not sure if you get on trapperman but there’s a guy on there that sold me 3 dz and he has tons more.
                      Do you remember his handle by chance?

Comment

Do you remember his handle by chance?
                        Coyote101

Comment

I can only speak of my personal experience, but the pan tension screw gets you way more effective pan tension. I have read that bending the dog one way or the other can affect pan tension, too, but a floppy pan on a trap, even a 4-coil, equals low pan tension and non-target trips/catches and target misses.

Comment

Bending the dog helps with leveling the pan, tension is adjusted by the pan screw like you said.

Comment

Put 3 traps in the ground earlier

First was a step down trench set.
                              Will probably have to rebait it because I put the bait in the hole but forgot to take a stick and push it on down deep to keep a coon from stealing it
                              Other 2 were flat/scent post sets

Comment

#5 is now crappie baits
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X