Black Bear Hunt CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Bear Hunt CO

Ended up deciding to plan a rifle black bear hunt for October this year, it will be DIY. I've narrowed down what area of CO I'll be headed but have never been to the area before so will be going in blind.

Plan on scouting 2 days before the season opens but looking to see what general tips/things to do and things not to do. Not looking for anyones favorite spot or even unit but rather what worked for you on your bear hunt.

Thanks in advance

Black Bear Hunting by Douglas Boze
    No bait… Just Bears by Douglas Boze
    Black bear hunting by Gary Lewis

3 informative books that you can refer back to from now up until and even during your trip. The more you know about bears the more likely you are to be successful than just trying to get little tips here and there. Guessing you’re a deer hunter like most, bears are not deer and have different tendencies.

Also on a side note, if you kill one, depending on what it’s been eating- very well could be one of the best things you’ve ever eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
      Black Bear Hunting by Douglas Boze
      No bait… Just Bears by Douglas Boze
      Black bear hunting by Gary Lewis

3 informative books that you can refer back to from now up until and even during your trip. The more you know about bears the more likely you are to be successful than just trying to get little tips here and there. Guessing you’re a deer hunter like most, bears are not deer and have different tendencies.

Also on a side note, if you kill one, depending on what it’s been eating- very well could be one of the best things you’ve ever eaten.
      I will look into those books, thank you sir. Trying to get all the information on bears starting now to have the best chance, cause like you said bears aren't deer - so have a lot of learning to do.

Comment

We elk hunted unit 53 last year. There were a TON of bear hunters, and certainly a lot of bear sign. We saw three bears without even trying, even one that was likely between 200 and 300 lbs. Lot of blueberries that first week of September, and I bet that bear would have been delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          We elk hunted unit 53 last year. There were a TON of bear hunters, and certainly a lot of bear sign. We saw three bears without even trying, even one that was likely between 200 and 300 lbs. Lot of blueberries that first week of September, and I bet that bear would have been delicious!
          Good to know! And I'm very excited to hopefully try bear meat.

Comment

Find the pinions, find the acorns, find the water, find the bears.
            There is good chance Im going black bear hunting around Red River NM this fall.
            Good skilling MrHarlan.

Comment

You said October in your post, but if your just hunting bears you will want to apply and hunt the September bears season. Most tags are a 100% draw. Find the acorns, chokecherries and some water and you'll find bears. We are covered up with them down here I usually kill two every year

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                You said October in your post, but if your just hunting bears you will want to apply and hunt the September bears season. Most tags are a 100% draw. Find the acorns, chokecherries and some water and you'll find bears. We are covered up with them down here I usually kill two every year
                i was thinking the same thing. I elk and bear hunt a private property in September and the last 2 years the bears have been gone by 3rd week in September because the berries are gone where we are. In the San Juan the out of state bear tags are over the counter and cost $100. Which is a steal. Id try to find a land owner that will let you hunt and you can get the rifle tag. If you hunt public you'd have to use a bow. Hopefully we get plenty of rain and my story changes this year.

Comment

hunted near silt CO last september and hunted high the first couple days and had no bears , then droped down to about 8500 ft and found bears at the berrys and water holes . killed a nice color fazed brown one . will be going back this september again . good luck to you and as outhers said find water holes and you will find the bears.

Comment

Yep. September is better. Early is probably best. Find the berries. I've heard fall bears taste better than spring but I hove nothing to compare it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Find the pinions, find the acorns, find the water, find the bears.
                      There is good chance Im going black bear hunting around Red River NM this fall.
                      Good skilling MrHarlan.
                      Good luck to both of you. I want to try to go after one again especially after my bust hunt in Idaho few years back.

Comment

Zero degree bag is a must and a tent with a heater is a game-changer.

Comment

Ended up drawing a Sept Bear tag - now time for planning. I have the ability to hunt 062, 064 & 065. Any pros and cons to those 3 GMUs?

Comment

Working...
                          X