Welding People - Please Help - All Cords Too Short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding People - Please Help - All Cords Too Short

I'm tired of watching YouTube videos, so I'm coming to the experts.

I have a 230V stick welder. Lead and ground are about 10 feet long. Power cord is about five feet long. I now want to make some modifications in the barn, which is built from 3" oil pipe. The outlet is on one end and I need to be able to weld on the other end. Fifty feet should do it.

So...what's the easiest, most cost effective solution?

Get some SJ cord and make a longer power extension cord. Might be able to luck out and find a heavy duty extension cord premade, rated accordingly. Make sure anything you use is sized accordingly to the amp draw.
    Last edited by Greenheadless; 05-29-2023, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Go ahead and buy 50' leads

You will eventually need them for some project

Comment

Which machine do you have?

Comment

the above 2 ideas are good. You may want to put in another 220 outlet on the other side.

What I did was buy about 20' of 6 ga. extension wire and make a longer cord to outlet. 50' is a long way though.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Go ahead and buy 50' leads

You will eventually need them for some project
            My Miller bobcat had 50ā€™ leads, just have to unroll what ever you need, good investment

Comment

many years back I worked on windmills most of which were 30 to 50ft up. Only way to do weld repair up there is the longer leads.

Comment

Longer cord will be cheaper than longer leads.
                What size welder do you have?

Comment

You can make your own longer leads. Buy some 8ga, 6ga, or 4ga battery cable from your local auto supply. Or buy some lead extensions. Most any weld supply should be able to help with the extension leads. Or, get a couple 25' weld machine extension cords. And drag the welder around with 10' leads .

Weld machine extension cords can be readily gotten from Northern Tool. But they are expensive.
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-29-2023, 07:00 PM.

Comment

All you need to do is get one 50’ lead for you rod holder lead. You can connect the ground anywhere on the building.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                      All you need to do is get one 50ā€™ lead for you rod holder lead. You can connect the ground anywhere on the building.
                      This is what I was going to suggest!

Comment

Is this a one time deal?
                        How many amps?
                        How long is it going to take?
                        What's the end game?
                        Easiest way, rent a generator.
                        Cost affective, build your own leads.
                        Right way, build 50 foot leads, and run power to the other end of your barn .

Comment

I built my barn exactly as T-roy66 suggested. Then I sold the crackerbox and bought a real welder for portable work around the place. I don't miss the crackerbox at all.

Comment

Longer cord may be cheaper but longer leads is the way to go. Longer cords means you are still moving the machine around more, longer leads you are just dragging the leads further.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                              Longer cord may be cheaper but longer leads is the way to go. Longer cords means you are still moving the machine around more, longer leads you are just dragging the leads further.
                              This is the camp Iā€™m in. What if you need to make a weld 15ā€™ up on a ladder? Those cracker boxes get heavy strapped to your back.

Comment

Working...
                              X