Scrapes annually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrapes annually

Do you guys think that the same buck has pretty much the same scrape territory year to year or do they travel the range visiting every scrape they find?

I think scrapes are made in the same general places every year and many different bucks use them, local bucks as well as transient bucks. My pictures prove that to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I think scrapes are made in the same general places every year and many different bucks use them, local bucks as well as transient bucks. My pictures prove that to be true.
      My unscientific opinion says that this is the case.

Comment

To elaborate (I picked up that word from some smart people), I had a place near Mt. Enterprise that had two old trails on it that had many scrapes each year, always under the same limbs. I’m convinced that bucks start scrapes where they find a convenient licking branch that suits them. You could count on those scrapes being there year after year. I hung cameras to get pics and I would get one or two and the scrape would go cold. I finally wised up after a couple years and started hanging the cameras as high as I could reach from standing on my cart. I then started getting lots of pics. Sometimes I would still only get one or two pics from a particular buck, and only on those scrapes. The fact that I didn’t get that buck(s) in my food plots told me he was there for the female action and not one that lived there. Some bucks I would get in plots, at feeders, and on scrapes. Those were ones that either lived on my place or very close. Those were my assumptions but I believe them to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Do you guys think that the same buck has pretty much the same scrape territory year to year or do they travel the range visiting every scrape they find?
          Yes and no. According to my photo evidence, I will see some bucks routinely visit the same scrape(once a week-once every couple of days). I have seen a buck homestead a scrape(area) for a few days then leave. He may and maynot come back. Usually do later in the season. And I have pics of a bunch of bucks one time a month to never coming back. So your question cannot be stereo typed and will probably be determined according to the bucks in your area.

The one thing I thought was intriguing was the amount of doe usage a scrape will be used by doe and young bucks( button-18mth old).

The kind of scrape you will be looking for is what I call a community scrape. It will be an area about 30-60’ circle that has multiple scrapes and rubs. At least one of the scrapes will be a pitt or a wide hole that has been used for years.Usually these scrapes will be under Yaupon bushes, in our area(SE Tx).
          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 02-16-2023, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I have cameras on scrapes that have been in the same location for years. Same general bucks use them, if I get all kinds of different bucks during the rut. Most are just passing through and are only on camera for a week or two. Above is correct, you want to find a community scrape, they are generally larger than just a scrape on a scrape line. And they will get hit by lots more deer.

Comment

Working...
            X