No announcement yet.

Spring/summer plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plots above look great. Any updates after a month?

I broadcasted cowpeas into a couple fall plots and rolled them down a couple weeks ago. Sprayed a couple days later.

Decent growth now. Just need some more rain into June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My smorgasbord blend is doing pretty well. Tons of utilization and still holding up well. You can clearly tell where I missed seeding in that rye jungle. Pretty impressed with how well the packer max crimper laid the rye down. Planted almost 2 months ago and zero weeds in the areas I missed. Gonna reseed where it flooded and where I missed in a couple of weeks
      Attached Files

Comment

Can’t really tell from the cell cam pictures but the deer seem to be hitting it hard.

Comment

Soybeans and deer vetch mix, deer been in plot nonstop
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            Soybeans and deer vetch mix, deer been in plot nonstop
            Man that is thick! Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
              Man that is thick! Looks great
              Gotta love all this rain we’ve had this spring

Comment

Sunflowers and sesame enjoyed the rain. Not sure what happened on one portion of the sesame, but it’s pretty barren.

Comment

Plots looking good folks.
                  Mountaineer,
                  Where did you buy that roller? Or is it home grown? Thanks

Comment

I said I wasn’t gonna plant anything this spring, but I reneged on that. At home I planted a blend from Green Cover called Summer Soil Builder (I think) just to see what it would do. I couldn’t really see the seed as I was broadcasting with a cyclone three point spreader and I ran out at about 3/4ths finished. I ran to the feed store and finished up with iron clay peas. The soil had plenty of moisture but that was a week ago yesterday and now I need a little rain. This plot is about .6 of an acre so I don’t expect the peas to last long, and I don’t know how much of the blend that the deer will actually eat. It’s mostly an experiment as I have lots of browse and also a protein feeder and my son does as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Spring/summer plots?

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                      Plots looking good folks.
                      Mountaineer,
                      Where did you buy that roller? Or is it home grown? Thanks

Homemade. There is a post on here somewhere from a few yrs ago about having it built. search atv crimper

Last edited by Mountaineer; 05-28-2023, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I said I wasn’t gonna plant anything this spring, but I reneged on that. At home I planted a blend from Green Cover called Summer Soil Builder (I think) just to see what it would do. I couldn’t really see the seed as I was broadcasting with a cyclone three point spreader and I ran out at about 3/4ths finished. I ran to the feed store and finished up with iron clay peas. The soil had plenty of moisture but that was a week ago yesterday and now I need a little rain. This plot is about .6 of an acre so I don’t expect the peas to last long, and I don’t know how much of the blend that the deer will actually eat. It’s mostly an experiment as I have lots of browse and also a protein feeder and my son does as well.
                        I planted the warm season soil builder mix as well and the pollinator blend. Mixed in more cowpeas as well. Been good so far. Good blend of desirable plants and cover plants so you don’t get wiped out and have weeds take over. I’ve had deer and pigs every single day for the last few weeks. Never done brassicas in the spring but those deep roots should be great for busting up the hard pan some

Comment

Deer in plots getting some protein
                          Attached Files

Comment

My plots need some rain…been about two weeks without any rainfall

Comment

Plots are looking good folks! Neighbors cows got into my two that are about 5 acres and they are likely not going to make it past that. Was definitely a bummer to see that on camera and then for myself.

Comment

Same plot as in post #69 but taken this morning. It is THICK ! It should be great for weed suppression and there may be something in it that a deer will eat I hung a camera on that tree, although ithe crop may soon be so tall I won’t see anything except green leaves. Also put an exclusion cage in it just for comparison. I know it has a strain of buckwheat, some IC peas, and sunn hemp that the deer will eat, but as I planted it mainly for biomass, I think it’s gonna do that job. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1820.jpg Views:	0 Size:	322.1 KB ID:	26512196

Comment

Working...
                                X