No announcement yet.

Aging Whitetails by Their Teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to the Comanche 4 times and worked with Dr DeYoung. We spent a week, each trip, catching deer. We “hog tie” them then fly them back to a centralized location and Dr. DeYoung would look at their teeth and score the bucks. Dr DeYoung told me you can only “age” a deer as mature or not mature by their teeth. Once they get to be older than 3 it’s anyone’s guess as to the exact age of the deer. I’ve seen that to be true in my experience as well. We owned/operated a high fence ranch in Menard county. Some of the bucks we knew to be 6-7 had teeth like 3yr olds. Some of the 4yr olds had teeth like you would expect from an 8yr old deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The4Cs View Post
      I went to the Comanche 4 times and worked with Dr DeYoung. We spent a week, each trip, catching deer. We “hog tie” them then fly them back to a centralized location and Dr. DeYoung would look at their teeth and score the bucks. Dr DeYoung told me you can only “age” a deer as mature or not mature by their teeth. Once they get to be older than 3 it’s anyone’s guess as to the exact age of the deer. I’ve seen that to be true in my experience as well. We owned/operated a high fence ranch in Menard county. Some of the bucks we knew to be 6-7 had teeth like 3yr olds. Some of the 4yr olds had teeth like you would expect from an 8yr old deer.

DeYoung is spot on.

Comment

After reading thru 4 pages I have determined the best way for aging deer is to hang them in a cooler for a minimum of 18 days. 21 days is even better.

Comment

I’ve never read that tooth aging is an exact science. Plus, there are always going to be anomalies and exceptions. Such as the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            After reading thru 4 pages I have determined the best way for aging deer is to hang them in a cooler for a minimum of 18 days. 21 days is even better.
            Best summation of this entire posting.

Comment

And there it is!!!!^^^^
              It's such a shame that more hunters do not realize this..
              As a taxidermist Everytime a hunter asks me "hey can you pull that jawbone so our "lease boss" can look at it" I just shake my head and sigh because this practice caused far more problems on hunting leases over the years than probably anything else.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

Working...
                X