Sandhill crane loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhill crane loads?

Seeing that it doesn’t have to be steel shot….What’s everyone using? Suppose to go whack some cranes end of week and was just curious.

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
    Seeing that it doesn’t have to be steel shot….What’s everyone using? Suppose to go whack some cranes end of week and was just curious.
    I shoot steel BB to be environmentally conscious. :-). Screw that. Have a bunch of lead and tungsten in 2-4. I prefer the 2s slightly over the 4.

Comment

I have a bunch of turkey loads…but it’s 5 shot. Thought that might be a little small. I do have a box of 3” steel BBB

Comment

The only ones I ever knocked down was with 3" lead BB. I hit them in the head and neck though. Hitting them in the body those probably wouldn't even do very good. Those birds are super tough.

Comment

I shoot lead #5s

Comment

Lead anything will be better than steel.

Prairie storm works great if you can find it. But any good high brass 4s or so work just fine. And generally pattern pretty good.

Comment

Mary and I shot 3 1/2" Bizmuth #2s and they worked well. If they are coming in tight you can hit them with a stick. If not, you gotta reach out there a piece.

Comment

When I went earlier this month I used 3 inch #2's in my 12 gauge. That is what our outfitter recommended and we did use steel shot as we also were shooting ducks and geese.
                I will say that if the Cranes are decoying well, I could have easily used my 28 gauge as I use it here with great success on decoying geese

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use 3” #2 steel shot as we had geese coming in to. Other guys were using everything from #4 steel to 00 buckshot. If they are coming in to decoys just about anything will knock ‘em down.

Comment

My nephew used high brass #4's and turkey choke and hammered them with my Benelli M1 12ga

Comment

I shoot them with #2 steel no problem over decoys.

Comment

Turkey loads work great!

Comment

Just remember. Shoot them in the face. SOBs are pretty dang tough and soak up body shots.

Comment

I use Steel BB on them. Steel not required but several times we have had geese come into the spread. You don't even want to be in possession of lead shells when you are shooting waterfowl. If they are coming in well, make it fun and shoot them with a 20.

Comment

Thanks for replies. I ended up using BBB steel shot. Worked pretty well….fun hunt. Those suckers are tough for sure! Rinse and repeat tomorrow morning!

Comment

Working...
                              X