Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get your Snake Awareness on!

Greetings TBH-ers!

It's been a long while since I've hung around the green screen, and I miss it. It's hard to post since I opened the range because of "conflict of interest". If this post violates that, I will totally understand if it is removed.

So, I recently had a run-in with a timber rattler under my house in Tarkington. It scared the crud out of me, but did make me curious to learn more about Texas snakes, and I did. I was shocked to discover how many non-venomous snakes get killed out of folks not knowing if it were a friendly or danger noodle.

I wanted to bring this awareness to fellow bow-hunters and anyone who goes outside in Texas.

On Saturday, July 17th at 10:00 am, there is a Snake Awareness Class at X10 Archery, Houston. I am bringing in a paid professional who will teach the class and have live snakes there, also.

All are welcome!

Archery supplies for target archery, bow hunters, and recreational archers alike. All from a small business with a family spirit!

Cheers!
    Lynda

I seriously doubt non-venomous snakes getting killed really affects the ecosystem much at all.

There are basically only two types of snakes: land cobras and water cobras.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
      I seriously doubt non-venomous snakes getting killed really affects the ecosystem much at all.

There are basically only two types of snakes: land cobras and water cobras.
      Thanks for that.

Comment

Im sure that will be a good class. Its always been interesting to me that '' outdoorsman" cant or don't care to know how to identify the 4 venomous snakes in Tx and are scared to death of all snakes

Comment

Sounds like a great class to me!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            Im sure that will be a good class. Its always been interesting to me that '' outdoorsman" cant or don't care to know how to identify the 4 venomous snakes in Tx and are scared to death of all snakes
            It was exactly that that inspired me to put the class on. I posted about the encounter I had in the SHNF FB page and had some incredible support. However, it was interesting to see how many (and in other groups) could not identify and would kill any snake they came across. I used to be that way with spiders, but have changed my appreciation for the role each species plays.

It's also kinda cool to know that "this snake" is non-venomous and be able to pick it up and make people

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
              It was exactly that that inspired me to put the class on. I posted about the encounter I had in the SHNF FB page and had some incredible support. However, it was interesting to see how many (and in other groups) could not identify and would kill any snake they came across. I used to be that way with spiders, but have changed my appreciation for the role each species plays.

It's also kinda cool to know that "this snake" is non-venomous and be able to pick it up and make people

Taught that to my kids from the time they could understand me.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                Taught that to my kids from the time they could understand me.
                <liked this post>

Comment

Very nice effort. I have a special needs son that has a small snake collection and even he can identify venomous from non venomous.

Comment

I think this is a great idea especially for kids. And I am also amazed how many can't Identify venomous snakes in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Very nice effort. I have a special needs son that has a small snake collection and even he can identify venomous from non venomous.
                      <loved this post>

If you are interested in attending and bringing your son, please PM me. I would love to comp his entry fee. He sounds like an inspiration.

Comment

I think its a wonderful class Lynda. Whenever we see a snake I take the time to show and teach my kids everything about it. That goes for poisonous snakes that are not of any harm to us as well. And I make sure that they know that after admiring they can simply...walk around a snake like magic and continue on. Something that I think is a lost art.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          I think its a wonderful class Lynda. Whenever we see a snake I take the time to show and teach my kids everything about it. That goes for poisonous snakes that are not of any harm to us as well. And I make sure that they know that after admiring they can simply...walk around a snake like magic and continue on. Something that I think is a lost art.
                          Yes!!! One of many lost arts in our world. It was shocking to see how many people were not prepared during the freeze (for example). Teaching self-sufficiency is also on my mind. Growing your own food, livestock, all the nuances of hunting (we're also putting on an "Explore Bow Hunting" camp. A TPWD program).

Kids absorb their parent's ideals and behaviors. So, if we react adversely to (enter the disaster or scary thing here), so will they. You're setting a great example.

Comment

This is an excellent idea! I hope you are inundated with participants.

Comment

Most snakes in Texas are harmless and only make you hurt yourself. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X