No announcement yet.

School me on diesel trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive got a 2014 6.7. Been a great truck so far. I deleted it at about 250k miles. My ECM went out and took about 15 days to get the new one. Had to have my programmer come and “in-delete” the truck to install the new ECM. It was a headache but needed up being ok. I’m not so sure I would delete another truck again. I know there are a lot of folks that would disagree with that but, that’s my thoughts on it.

Comment

250k on stock emissions is impressive.
      I have a 16 with 85k and may delete it if I start having emission issues. Hopefully mine will go 250k

Comment

One thing is resale value. You might pay more up front for a diesel. You will get more at the end when you decide to sell. I am sure you already knew that though.

Comment

I haven't purchased it, at least not yet. I was actually looking at a boat and the ad said he would also sell the truck as a package deal. I met him at the lake to test the boat, but it's pretty rough. Because of the boats condition, I think it's overpriced. However the truck is priced pretty good, but he won't sell just the truck.
          The first owner of boat obviously used it in salt water, but didn't take care of it. There are rusting stainless hinges and screws, pitting on the aluminum jack plate, and numerous wiring issues. Plus I think the boat has water trapped in the hull, it sits about 4-5" deeper in the water than any other identical boat I could find pictures of. Then to top it off, the 200 Yamaha would barely get it on plane. I think that's because of a mixture of water in the hull and a prop with too high of pitch.
          If I could buy just the truck, I would, but I don't want the boat.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Kinda smart on the sellers part, it sounds like he priced the truck reasonably enough to hopefully get someone to take the sub par boat off his hands.
            There are plenty others out there, now is just not a great time to buy any vehicle due to inflated pricing the demand the chip shortage has caused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Piggybacking off the OP, I’m down to 3 trucks to pick from and need to decide this week. 2 of the trucks have a 4-6” lift, and I’ve never towed with a lifted truck. The sole purpose of the truck is to pull our TT cross country. I know the lift will hurt fuel mileage, that’s not a concern. Any other issues I should be aware of when towing w/ a lifted truck?

Comment

Depends on the lift. Some are designed to ride better and have softer springs. This can really lower the payload and towing capacity. That's why the raptors, power wagons, etc all have lower ratings than a base truck. Personally if the sole purpose is to tow, I'd say keep it stock like the engineers intended so you get the most out of the truck. Lifts make you super alpha cool bruh, but that's about it.

Comment

Ahh, I gotcha. Like Dave said, probably smart on the sellers part.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                    Depends on the lift. Some are designed to ride better and have softer springs. This can really lower the payload and towing capacity. That's why the raptors, power wagons, etc all have lower ratings than a base truck. Personally if the sole purpose is to tow, I'd say keep it stock like the engineers intended so you get the most out of the truck. Lifts make you super alpha cool bruh, but that's about it.
                    Both of the sellers set the lifts up for towing, TT and a 5th wheel, so I guess it would be a firmer setup. Thanks!

And for the OP, if you're still truck shopping, send me a PM and I'll send you the ones I've found here in DFW

Comment

School me on diesel trucks

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                      Piggybacking off the OP, I’m down to 3 trucks to pick from and need to decide this week. 2 of the trucks have a 4-6” lift, and I’ve never towed with a lifted truck. The sole purpose of the truck is to pull our TT cross country. I know the lift will hurt fuel mileage, that’s not a concern. Any other issues I should be aware of when towing w/ a lifted truck?

Buyer beware, if you are towing across country, the pre 2017 short bed Superduty’s come standard with a 26 gallon tank.

You can add aftermarket larger tanks, but that ain’t free.

Towing with a stock truck and you’ll be in the 9-12 mpg range. I average 9-10 with my small 5th wheel with both the trucks I’ve towed it with.
                      Take a few miles per gallon off that with a lift and you are stopping for fuel quite often.

The long beds and most newer models don’t suffer this small tank glitch.
                      Just something else to consider when deciding.

Oh yeah, some of the long beds suffered from back end bounce at 65-70 mph. Get it to speed and hold there to make sure the long bed you are looking at doesn’t have it.
                      Air bags were the cure for that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah that 26 gallon tank in the short beds werent worth a flip.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                          True. First thing I changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            LOL, I have an my needle pegged on E before, and I when I filled up, I could only get 24 gallons into it.

I know its probably a safety factor for the HPFP. But I have read where folks are getting 20 gallons in a tank from E at the most. I usually need to stop anyways by the time I've burned 20 gallons in one shot, unless I have a trailer on.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              LOL, I have an my needle pegged on E before, and I when I filled up, I could only get 24 gallons into it.

I know its probably a safety factor for the HPFP. But I have read where folks are getting 20 gallons in a tank from E at the most. I usually need to stop anyways by the time I've burned 20 gallons in one shot, unless I have a trailer on.
                              I used to do the same thing with the 38 gallon tank in my long bed.......... until it ran out with 15 miles to empty once. Typically if I filled it up with 10 miles to empty I would get about 36 gallons into it but I dont push my luck anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                                True. First thing I changed.
                                Its one of the factors that made me decide to get a long bed. How much did it run you to swap it out if you dont mind me asking? I believe the tanks are around 1k but I dont know what install labor is.

Comment

Working...
                                X