No announcement yet.

Africa 2024 caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better to take a rifle you have confidence in rather than an unknown with a little extra horsepower. Either one with Barnes or Partitions will easily get the job done. Study the anatomy, their vitals are further forward than our whitetails. I used a .280 with 160gr Partitions and a 60Lb bow and didn't have to track a single animal.

Comment

Hunted SA last year and used the PHs guns. They all had 308 for plains game. I was able to take down a Roan, Sable, and Kudu without any issues. Biggest thing is make sure you know where you are shooting, they are tough animals and you won't be able to shoot them like animals here. Shot placement is key, literally one inch off and youll have a long trailing/tracking day ahead of you!

Comment

I loaded ammo for two of my friends that have been over twice for plains game.
        Both carried their 300 RUM and I loaded Barnes TSX 180's for them. The only bullet recovered and the only animal they said took another step was a Zebra. Brought the recovered bullet back and it still weighed 180 grains. They both said the animals over there have a tenacity for life like no other place on earth.
        The PH had them practice some shooting baboons off a cliff at 400+ yards. They enjoyed that. Each one was allowed to bring 50 rounds each into the country. No one came home with any leftover ammo.

Comment

Just about blew snot in my coffee! He said-shooting baboons off a cliff!lol

Comment

Don't overthink it. Either with well-constructed bullets will be fine. If you don't have a .338 or .375, well now's a good time to get one!

Comment

308 or 270 all day with any of those animals.
              Don't over think it. Would it be nice to have a 300 win or bigger, sure. But you'll knock them all down with what you have.

Comment

We killed most of what's on your list and a couple of Sable last summer with 7-08, 120 grain TSX and 30-06 with 150 grain Cor Lokt. Your 270 or 308 will work just fine. Shot placement is the key.

Comment

I will load or order some barns TTSX 130 270 or 178 terminal accent 308, I see the sweet spot on PG is point of the shoulder for heart & lung shots , behind shoulder is a gut shot

Comment

If you are hunting SA it is a lot like hunting S Texas, not really wild and being concerned about dangerous game is not really an issue.

I've hunted there 9 times and only for 3 days in SA when my kids were 7 and 10 yrs old, we then went to Botswana. I much preferred hunting in truly wild area's of Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe , and Botswana. Zimbabwe was paradise back in the late 80's

The plains game you mentioned is not hard to kill and a Win 270 or 308 well placed shot with a good bullet will put them down.

Have fun on your trip

Comment

Either your 308 or 270 will do just fine. Take the one you like shooting the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                        Just about blew snot in my coffee! He said-shooting baboons off a cliff!lol
                        He said the boons roosted high up on some rocky cliff ledges and they would go out at daybreak to shoot some when they started climbing down to go search for food. Them baboon skull mounts were awesome with teeth bigger than a javelina. Said they were hard critters to sneak up on and Boons were a shoot on sight free animal that didn't count against your package.

Comment

For that list, 308 is plenty. My son killed gemsbok, zebra, blue wildebeast, black wildebeast, hartebeast, crocodile, impala, and warthog with 165 grain accubonds this past summer. Everything was a one shot kill.

Comment

Summon Jack O’Connor and Col Townsend Wheelen and take your .270, if it’s “Interesting” 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                              Summon Jack O’Connor and Col Townsend Wheelen and take your .270, if it’s “Interesting” 👍
                              Every time the question of what rifle springs up, someone’s bound to say it: Karamojo Bell killed a thousand elephants with an .256. Did he really?

Comment

I have never been, known multiple people who have. The animals at the top of your list, most guys seem to use 7mm Rem Mag and up, to 300 or 340 Weatherbys for. The animals on the lower part of your list, don’t require anything big at all. If I was taking only one gun, I would consider something like a 30-06, to a 300 Weatherby, a 7mm Rem Mag would be a good option. The bigger stuff on your list, I would want 7mm, to a 30 caliber bullet in the 175 gr. to 180 gr. range. An Accubond bullet would be fine in that weight range, from those guns. You could use a Partition, it would just loose some longer range velocity. I don’t think they do much shooting past 200 yards over there anyway. A Partition would not hurt performance much. A 180 gr. Accubond out of an 30-06, would be going slow enough to penetrate, very deep from any angle on the largest stuff on your list, would not have to worry about the bullet blowing up. But then it would still give you decent expansion on the smaller stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X