Bitter ending to the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    That wasn't exactly a spectacular trip for me and the pigs either Chris.[emoji47]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    The company was good and the ranch spectacular, as usual. If we cannot assume our failures, learn from them and move on, we will never progress. Still grateful to had the opportunities, even if I blew them.

Comment

Try filming your shots on animals the best you can, doesn't have to be TV quality stuff.
      Having video evidence of where you hit an animal and the animals reaction to the hit, is the most valuable information a person can have.
      What you see after the shot and what actually happened can be totally different AND it has a major role in determining how and when to start tracking the animal.
      Practice more, do the best you can, forget about it and try again.
      If Trad was easy everyone would do it.... that's why there are compounds and crossbows.

Comment

I shared my video of opening day when I wounded my target buck by taking a long shot. I waited patiently all season for another shot. Watching my "target" bucks disappear one by one. It was the most frustrating season I've ever had. Finally on my last day to hunt of the extended doe season I got my shot. The only problem was that, standing between me and my quarry" was her yearling. She saw me draw and spooked a little which alerted the mature doe. As the doe was looking the other way I decided to finish the shot, rushed, blanked and missed cleanly... 10 yards and I clean missed.

I feel you brother! I even pulled out the compound and have been shooting it some but man, there's something about that stick and string that won't let me go... I'm still really dejected about the season but we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          Man, this sounds like a bad case of not practicing enough. I mean 4 or 5 shots of missing/crippling deer in just one season, wow. I haven't missed/crippled that many in 47 years. I know this sounds mean and all, but we need to make better select shots after tons of practice. The deer deserve that respect.
          Man how did I ever miss this 24 karat response.. Wow!! You go Jr..

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
            I shared my video of opening day when I wounded my target buck by taking a long shot. I waited patiently all season for another shot. Watching my "target" bucks disappear one by one. It was the most frustrating season I've ever had. Finally on my last day to hunt of the extended doe season I got my shot. The only problem was that, standing between me and my quarry" was her yearling. She saw me draw and spooked a little which alerted the mature doe. As the doe was looking the other way I decided to finish the shot, rushed, blanked and missed cleanly... 10 yards and I clean missed.

I feel you brother! I even pulled out the compound and have been shooting it some but man, there's something about that stick and string that won't let me go... I'm still really dejected about the season but we will see.
            My first few slung left me stinging as well. I was on a lease where shots were plentiful but I ended up scared to try.
            Then the one that worked, last weekend of season, changed it all. Keep trying.
            That first one will make it worth more than all those compound kills.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you hunt long enough, you will have more than one of those "Oh crap!" shots. your state of mind, excitement or the game's own reaction will eventually not line up for a quick efficient kill. Tracking the wounded animal and hopefully recovering it will make up for some of the bitterness you feel at the moment. You will feel disappointed with yourself at time, but do not give up. Your next good shot will bring back the hunger for the hunt. Hang in there.

Comment

Working...
              X