X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice gesture by GM

To knock $50 off the price

GM trucks losing another fuel economy feature due to chip shortage
    General Motors will begin building some full-size trucks without a key fuel-saving feature next week due to the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage affecting the industry.
    The start/stop function shuts off the engine when the vehicle is not in motion and automatically restarts it when the driver takes their foot off of the Brake. It is common on many internal combustion engine-powered vehicles today.

A GM spokesman told The Detroit Free Press that the change would result in a 1 to 2 mpg drop in the combined fuel economy rating for the trucks and that the price would be reduced by $50.
    The change affects certain trim levels of the following 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8-powered models with 10-speed automatic transmissions, including Base, High Country, Denali and AT4:
    Certain trims, including Base, High Country, Denali and AT4,
    Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban
    GMC Yukon and Yukon XL
    Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV
    Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    GMC Sierra 1500
    In March, the shortage led GM to remove a cylinder deactivation feature from the 5.3-liter V8 that is also aimed at improving fuel economy by cutting fuel to some cylinders under light loads and said it wouldn't return until the 2022 model year trucks enter production later this year.
    GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE
    GM has been building some trucks without all of the necessary chips and storing them until supplies become available. It is now adding several stalls at the Fort Wayne Assembly plant in Indiana that produces the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 to speed up completion of the key models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's a useless feature anyway.

Comment

So what your saying is they are making them better? Without that stupid stop start

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        That's a useless feature anyway.
        I would gladly pay $50 for my wife's car to not do this. There is no override. I have had it shut off in the driveway when I stop, turn back on when I put it in park, then I shut the motor off.

Comment

Always wondered how the AC works at a long red light with that dumb *** feature...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

totally useless feature and you cant override the dang thing in my wife's car. maybe we can sell GM back the chip from our vehicles so we wont have that feature?????

Comment

Had that on my 18 f150 co truck...it became automatic to start & bypass. Horrible feature.

Comment

I've always wondered what the long term affects on the engine would be with the on/off crap every 5 minutes. You save a gallon of gas each week for a $15k repair after 75,000 miles

Comment

It sounds like a currently production GM is the best GM to buy.

Comment

Useless feature. My wife's jeep gladiator has the feature but it can be turned off.

Comment

They can have mine! I hate it so much. When I start my pickup the first thing I do is turn that feature off.

Comment

I hate the auto stop/start. I may consider trading my current truck in just to get one without that stupid stop/start. My truck has a button I can turn it off, but I have to turn it off every time I get in it

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                          I have to turn it off every time I get in it
                          This is the thing that irritates me the most about it.

Comment

$50 is pretty minimal in my opinion. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                              I would gladly pay $50 for my wife's car to not do this. There is no override. I have had it shut off in the driveway when I stop, turn back on when I put it in park, then I shut the motor off.
                              Yep. That and the freaking sensors that beep and vibrate the seat like crazy when you're in reverse. I have to disable both of those every time I start my pickup. If they're going to put that crap in the vehicle, they should give you an option to turn them off and leave them off until you decide you want to turn them back on again.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Always wondered how the AC works at a long red light with that dumb *** feature...
                              It doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X