No announcement yet.

Deer lease around Davy Crockett Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You generally have know someone to get on a good lease. Leases are to hard come by or far into your lap. Are you on a lease now? Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
      Incorrect- how can the quality b good with rookies all over the place shooting everything that walks?
      You obviously have no clue what Houston/trinity county produces year in year out.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
        You obviously have no clue what Houston/trinity county produces year in year out.
        Nah, everything gets shot. Nothing big to be killed

Unfortunately as GarGuy stated, it’s no longer a secret to far too many...there are some who obviously still aren’t aware tho, so at least there’s that

Comment

Whomever says the deer aren’t good in that area does not know squat about the place.
          I hunted the area for years. And, if I could find something else next to D C I would be all over it. My biggest deer came from D C and the Groveton area. The man I leased private property from died. If I could have gotten the place from the heirs I would have never stopped hunting it. D C and Alabama Creek put out some great deer.

Comment

I don’t have a lease now but I’ve been looking for next year. I’m in no hurry to jump on a lease. I’ve turned down several in west Texas just too far to drive. I’m not mad at the deer any more and have a lot of patience. I’ve had several friends that have near Groveton and have killed some nice deer. They aren’t on any leases now either.

Comment

No deer there, and the ones that are are very smart if they have any age to them.
              My place is bordered on 2 sides and across the road by DCNF. The photo is of one that I have been catching on camera for 3 or 4 years, and he was big the first time I saw him. I have already seen him on camera this spring, so he made it through another season. I get pics up until late October and then he disappears. No photos day or night. The area around my place is hunted pretty hard, but nobody has got him yet. The area is big and no real funnels. They could be anywhere, or completely out of the area.
              Attached Files

Comment

Incorrect- how can the quality b good with rookies all over the place shooting everything that walks?
                Rookie comment

I have some family with a decent chunk of dirt across the county rd from the DC. They've been shooting monsters for years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Rookie comment

I have some family with a decent chunk of dirt across the county rd from the DC. They've been shooting monsters for years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yup. My friends family owns the Malibu Club and they shoot a 150+ pretty much every year. Boggy Slough across the road has some real giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                    They also might be carrying a pistol without an LTC you better stay away from there....
                    Probably don't kill every venomous snake they see either.
                    Suuuuper dangerous place

Comment

Lost our lease near Arbor, Tx. Owner sold to timber company. Huge bucks and hogs out there just have to be in tune with ETX hunting to be regularly successful.

Comment

Thats public hunting and sounds like a war zone. Tons of rookies stomping around and walking all over the place, not to mention how dangerous that is. Plus as you said, deer quality is bad. Just my opinion.
                        That's right!!!! No deer in East Tx!

Comment

As has been stated, if you don't have an in or local ties.....the days of choosing a certain area in East Texas and just getting on a place are gone. Expand your search to all of East Texas and then find out about any potential place that pops up before signing on. May even take getting on a couple of places and striking out before you land.

BUT, give it 5yrs or so and I think the vast majority that have chased the FB posted deer to East Texas will start to thin out after much failure and stuff may be available again. If you find a place NEVER...NEVER....NEVER post a picture of your deer on the internet.....I hardly even text photos, lol.

Also, if you do get on a place in East Texas, be patient and give your self a couple of seasons to figure it out before you bail. It is not for the faint of heart.

As for people shooting every deer they see.....can't shoot what you don't see. Sure there is night hunting, poaching and killing of bucks with potential that goes on, but worry about what you are hunting, not the guy on the county road or the guy next door.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                            No deer there, and the ones that are are very smart if they have any age to them.
                            My place is bordered on 2 sides and across the road by DCNF. The photo is of one that I have been catching on camera for 3 or 4 years, and he was big the first time I saw him. I have already seen him on camera this spring, so he made it through another season. I get pics up until late October and then he disappears. No photos day or night. The area around my place is hunted pretty hard, but nobody has got him yet. The area is big and no real funnels. They could be anywhere, or completely out of the area.
                            That deer is clearly not from ETx

Love it when chumps like L21 spouts off about, "no deer in ETx"....hahahaha

ChickenFried, if you ever want to go a little further South, I have a lease in Newton Cty that has some pretty good deer. Look me up, we usually have a spot or 2 open ever year. Got some good members too.

Whatever you do, don't over look that wonderful peace of publc...hunt it and enjoy it.
                            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 06-01-2021, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Thats public hunting and sounds like a war zone. Tons of rookies stomping around and walking all over the place, not to mention how dangerous that is. Plus as you said, deer quality is bad. Just my opinion.
                              Geez......what a dumb thing to say......ignorant.

Comment

Appreciate it the advice Legacy and ETX. May be looking you up Legacy. I’ve hunted Liberty and Polk counties, years ago and had success. I’ve had more opportunities to hunt in the hill country but looking to stay closer to home now days. I probably will expand my search to most of east Texas if I don’t have any luck this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X