No announcement yet.

ATV Ramps - Need Questions Answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the questions that you are asking, I see that you are very safety minded. That's a good thing. Based on this I wouldn't recommend you trying to haul yours in the truck bed. It's not for the faint of heart. When loading, you need to be committed to going all the way and then be able to stop before getting into the back glass. Stopping on the incline isn't good either as it can come over backwards easily if you try to continue up.

For sure if you don't feel safe, don't try it.

Comment

I put a 500 4x4 honda in the bed of an F250. I have individual ramps that fold in half and are arched. Done it 100s of times and ran down the highway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

No way I would sell a perfectly good trailer to carry an ATV in the bed of the truck.

These aren’t the small ATV like the 3 wheelers and light weight quads that used to around. Like everything else we seem to think bigger is better and that’s not always the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I did for years though I always have a least a regular short bed and not the mini beds. I did try not to do it so often. I did this with a 250 and a 660. And I have not done it since I moved from a 3/4 ton chevy to 1/2 ton ford. I have the bi-fold ramps. I found loading and also unloading to be a bit of a excitement. Picture due to the angle standing up and leaning as far forward as you can... belly on the handle bars. I'd suggest trying it before you give up your trailer to make sure you are comfortable. And as others have said, make sure the ramps are attached and tight to your truck using the straps that come with it.

Comment

Keep your trailer

Comment

I cant add anything but.....that Prairie is a sure nuff good machine

Comment

It’s quicker for me to haul my 360 in my pickup I have a trailer but use it more when I haul my 650 or both atv’s go with me. I do haul the 650 in the truck too sometimes but I can’t close the tail gate.
                Use the longer ramps and you’ll be fine.

Comment

These are the ones I have come to rely on over the years! Most has been said above but make sure your in low, are ready on the brake lever, park with rear wheels in a low spot or dip and don’t forget to set any brake(s) on machine then strap it down and take into account any bouncing from ATV suspension that could release strap(make sure strap is snug).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve hauled many of atvs, probably 50+ different models.
                    The best ramps I have used are these. They flex very little. I’ve loaded anything from dirt bikes to an Argo 6x6 with them and no issues whatsoever over the 5 years I’ve used them. https://www.yutrax.com/Product/xl-al...ch-ramp-2-2719

I am not a fan of single ramps that are “wide enough” for both tires because several ATVs are too wide for them. Plus in my opinion they are too steep to feel safe. Aluminum is best.

Straps are fine without closing the tailgate but strap it to the frame, not the racks. If I remember correctly, underneath the footrests on the prairie models there is a spot you can hook the ratchet straps to. One on each side is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleW View Post
                      I’ve hauled many of atvs, probably 50+ different models.
                      The best ramps I have used are these. They flex very little. I’ve loaded anything from dirt bikes to an Argo 6x6 with them and no issues whatsoever over the 5 years I’ve used them. https://www.yutrax.com/Product/xl-al...ch-ramp-2-2719

I am not a fan of single ramps that are “wide enough” for both tires because several ATVs are too wide for them. Plus in my opinion they are too steep to feel safe. Aluminum is best.

Straps are fine without closing the tailgate but strap it to the frame, not the racks. If I remember correctly, underneath the footrests on the prairie models there is a spot you can hook the ratchet straps to. One on each side is fine.
                      Yes on the prairie footrest.
                      I usually go one on each side pulling to the front of the bed and one on each side pulling to the rear. For four total, incase one should fail I have a back-up holding the load.

Hey Op, not sure if you have a ramp picked out.....but I have two trifolds and could let one go for 1/2 of new. PM me if interested.

Comment

Get you a pair of the ramps that are arched. Cuts down on the angle. Sure makes it easier.

Comment

ATV Ramps - Need Questions Answered

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          I put a 500 4x4 honda in the bed of an F250. I have individual ramps that fold in half and are arched. Done it 100s of times and ran down the highway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Same here!

As burnadell said get a boat cushion or wood and set in front of bed to rest on. I saw where a guy added extra small chain to tailgate straps for extra security. I have a small 5x8 trailer but there are times I just load machine in truck for less worry about a flat or brake light issues on trailer. Done worry about having no room you can always strap the cooler to back rack loaded down and then load other stuff to front rack.

I bought my long ramps I think 1500# from harbor freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by manwitaplan; 05-22-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I have been hauling 4 wheelers in the back of a truck since 96 and have never had an issue, even with short beds where the tailgate wouldn’t close.
                            I generally find a incline to drive up where it puts the rear of my truck lower to the ground.
                            Good ramps is a must, and definitely tie the ramps off.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              Keep your trailer
                              My thought

Comment

I drive mine into and off my bed using ramps. I put it in 4 lo and ease up. Tie ramps to the bed to keep them from slipping off. Only thing I would be concerned with is you aluminum can tail gate.

Whether you can shut the tail gate or not. ALWAYS secure your load in your bed. Tie it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X