AR build kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR build kits

I am wanting to build my own AR , preferably a kit . Any advice any of you would like to share would be appreciated . As you probably expect I am talking about entry level to mid range . My plans for this are my day/night pig gun in 556 caliber . Like ammunition , I am sure the wait time for parts are.... slow , so any tips on where to order from would be cool , as well as any really needed upgrades . Again this will be my first AR , first build , so I`m not ready for upper end AR`s , but I don`t want the cheapest and not be happy with the end product , if that makes sense . Thanks for any help , Larry

I built my first AR as a complete matching Spike’s gun. Not saying it’s better/best, but it’s a good entry/midrange quality without breaking the budget. Primary Arms has everything you need. Lower receiver first. Get that in your possession. You can work on the other parts as they become available.

A nice set of punches is worth the money. I also ordered an AR tool kit from Brownells. Get a better wrench than the one in the Wheeler kit. I mangled the crap out of my barrel but the first time and had to order another one.

Adjustable gas block will help tune the gun to cycle reliably but also not be so over gassed as to cause unnecessary wear and tear.

Comment

I order most parts from PrimaryArms and AIM Surplus.
      Finding the parts you want and them actually being in stock is going to be the real challenge.

Comment

Palmetto State Arms sells entry level AR kits and they’re pretty much always in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few more questions . Like I said this will be my first build which has me thinking I should spring for the complete upper and the complete lower ( sent to a FFL holder) because it just seems to be so many options to build from scratch it`s confusing what I need so I feel that I should have more experience to know what I should actually want . Am I wrong in thinking I should go with the complete upper and lower for this , my first build ? I am thinking of the Palmetto Arms kit as it has some good reviews . Any thoughts on going with a complete upper/lower for your first versus building each ?

Comment

I went the Easy/Cheap route.

Started with a PSA complete lower Stealth model ran $200.

Then I got a Bear Creek Arsenal assembled upper 6.5 Grendel with BCG for around $300.

Complete gun Came to $509 before the $25 FFL charge.

Then I Changed the trigger to a Larue 2 stage for about $80. Added a Sig Romeo 5 for $130.

Being left handed I added an ambidextrous charging handle $30 and safety selector $25.

I think that’s about as easy/cheap as you can go nowadays.

Comment

I got my own opinions about 5.56/223 for pigs and it comes from experience. Bigger is better when it comes to killing stuff like big hogs. Since 5.56 magazines will only hold a cartridge that is so long making bullet weights you can use only so big the only other way to go is bigger diameter bullets. For that reason I just ordered me a 6.8 SPC. I hope it's enough with 3 times the bullet weight.

My 5.56 is fun to shoot and nice to have around just in case so I will keep mine for a while longer.

So many guns, so little time.

Comment

I have put together 2 lowers with the lower parts kits from Palmetto State Armory and purchased 2 complete uppers from them as well. Lowers are pretty easy to put together with a set of punches, needle nose pliers and youtube. I have shot several hundred rounds through each gun and they have both functioned just fine. My Palmetto 18in. 223 Wylde upper shoots 64grain ammo really well.

Comment

The Larue UU kits are the best deal on ARs that I know of. Comes with everything except the lower and you can buy a nice matching one of those from them for $199. And they are shipping in less than a month depending on which options you choose. You end up with a top of the line AR for $1000ish. 100% made in Texas by them

Comment

Going with a complete upper/lower is easy, and can be more budget friendly. I ordered a complete lower from Joe Bob's outfitters and then pieced together different parts for my upper. Since it was all new to me and I wanted to learn, I bought inexpensive or used parts. I learned on that upper and it has since moved on. Length, type of rail/handguard, sights, grip/stock, weight and trigger are really what will cause you to like/dislike your AR. I've built multiple uppers, or swapped/changed parts to find exactly what I like. Ar's are the Legos of the gun world, enjoy them. Primary Arms, Joe Bob Outfitters, Palmetto State Armory are the places I've had the most luck. Joe Bob's has cool lowers. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                      The Larue UU kits are the best deal on ARs that I know of. Comes with everything except the lower and you can buy a nice matching one of those from them for $199. And they are shipping in less than a month depending on which options you choose. You end up with a top of the line AR for $1000ish. 100% made in Texas by them
                      This is true.

12" Larue UU gun

Comment

PM sent I have some Del-ton build kits that are complete.

Comment

Working...
                        X