Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
    Shhh...My name is Todd now...Todd Wilkinson
    Just get yourself a stripped lower, some mags and we will get you done.
    I would be more than willing to donate and some here also I would bet to a Vet/retired LE AKA The Hogmauler Foundation
    I have a pistol buffer tube if y'all want to get a build going for Hogmauler.

Comment

One correction there bro. I’m retired but not retired L E. Met plenty of good folks in L E though. My toughest role has been stay at home dad for special needs son while simultaneously being the most nobel role I ever filled. Caleb is God’s gift to me and I truly couldn’t imagine life without him.
      Last edited by Hogmauler; 03-30-2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

So I have a Saber Defence M4 flattop 5.56 Nato and I want to make it into a 6.8 Rem SPC. What do I need and who makes the best accurate 16" barrel? Should it be a complete upper or what? I do know that it will need it's own magazines. I also know that I need the gen II chambering.

Comment

I actually don't own one, but i have one borrowed from my son on a semi permanent basis. He has always loved them but most were junky feeling and shooting, plus too expensive to shoot in true semi mode..... Then he bought a CMMG 7.62x39.... I love that gun. All that said I love it suppressed and for pigs or coyotes, but it shoots that cheap(or used to be cheap) Russian ammo really well. Like sub 1" with Wolf 124 grain HP!! I was waiting for things to return to normal to buy one myself, but may need to go ahead and get one. If it wasn't suppressed I'm not sure I would feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            So I have a Saber Defence M4 flattop 5.56 Nato and I want to make it into a 6.8 Rem SPC. What do I need and who makes the best accurate 16" barrel? Should it be a complete upper or what? I do know that it will need it's own magazines. I also know that I need the gen II chambering.

If I were you, I'd buy a complete upper... The Cadillac of the 6.8 SPC is AR15Performance. If you choose to build it from a stripped upper, you'll need the ARPerformance barrel and a 6.8 Bolt Carrier group and 6.8 mags for the lower... Everyting else will work...

My first time to the range with my 6.8 before I got the good glass for it (Trijicon Accutrack 3-9X40) I took it to the range with an old Leupold 3-9x40 VXI that I had in my safe... Shot a 0.375" 5 shot group with the Hornady 120 grain SST's!! I had no idea these black guns and ANY semi-auto would shoot like that! It's a tack-driver with a good FCG (I put a Timney 2.5# drop in skeletonized trigger) in it and that finished it off...

Comment

Wow Salt! Didn’t know you could write Russian in English. I guess once a person gets engaged in these enhancement projects on AR you’ll learn quite a bit. I did pick up on a few things there though. I’m really impressed with the ballistic knowledge that you bow hunters possess as well.

Comment

Bruce. The magwell in an AR is built around the 5.45x45 cartridge. There are few cartridges that can fit into the AR size receiver. Like, the 300BO that is 7.62x35. Under 45mm in length it can fit. The 204 Ruger, the 6.5 grendel, the Russian 7.62x39 all will fit in that size receiver. Barrels will be different, as will bolts and mags. But will fit. It used to be to step up to a 30cal in an AR, you had to go with an AR10. Much larger and heavier gun. Not the same. Built for 7.62x51 (.308). The 300 BO and the Russian 30 filled that gap with American ingenuity and the AR game has exploded. The configurations that can be built with the AR15 and AR10 platforms are endless.

Comment

That’s crazy man. No wonder they’re so popular.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    If I were you, I'd buy a complete upper... The Cadillac of the 6.8 SPC is AR15Performance. If you choose to build it from a stripped upper, you'll need the ARPerformance barrel and a 6.8 Bolt Carrier group and 6.8 mags for the lower... Everyting else will work...

My first time to the range with my 6.8 before I got the good glass for it (Trijicon Accutrack 3-9X40) I took it to the range with an old Leupold 3-9x40 VXI that I had in my safe... Shot a 0.375" 5 shot group with the Hornady 120 grain SST's!! I had no idea these black guns and ANY semi-auto would shoot like that! It's a tack-driver with a good FCG (I put a Timney 2.5# drop in skeletonized trigger) in it and that finished it off...
                    All I can find in stock is one from Rock River. Any input on that MFG?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      All I can find in stock is one from Rock River. Any input on that MFG?
                      Everything they make is proprietary so anything else you buy(mags, fore grips, things like that) has to come from them.

I have an LT308 and it is a shooter. Just wish I could feed it with pmags

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                        Everything they make is proprietary so anything else you buy(mags, fore grips, things like that) has to come from them.

I have an LT308 and it is a shooter. Just wish I could feed it with pmags

That only applies to their 308 rifles. Their 5.56/223 are standard pattern parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Most standard AR’s in 5.56 caliber are 1:9 twist barrels and most folks shoot 55 grain bullets.

However, with a faster twist barrel (1:8 is what I prefer) with 62-69 grain bullets, it’s a whole different animal. I’ve had pigs run off with 55 grain bullets, but 62 grain steel core - pigs are DRT.

I haven’t used steel core on deer but I’d have no hesitation shooting deer with a 60’ish grain hunting bullet out to 200 yards or even a little further.

Bullets matter more than caliber to me (within reason of course).

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                            Most standard AR’s in 5.56 caliber are 1:9 twist barrels and most folks shoot 55 grain bullets.

However, with a faster twist barrel (1:8 is what I prefer) with 62-69 grain bullets, it’s a whole different animal. I’ve had pigs run off with 55 grain bullets, but 62 grain steel core - pigs are DRT.

I haven’t used steel core on deer but I’d have no hesitation shooting deer with a 60’ish grain hunting bullet out to 200 yards or even a little further.

Bullets matter more than caliber to me (within reason of course).

1:9 hasnt been the norm in a while. 1:7 seems to dominate the market now.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                              1:9 hasnt been the norm in a while. 1:7 seems to dominate the market now.
                              Correct - I should not type when tired

Point is fast twist barrels are more better with heavier bullets in the 5.56 & heavier bullets are more better for hunting.

Comment

So how would a 60ish grain round perform in the standard “1:7” twist barrel? And in all honesty I don’t see myself ever having to shoot 200 yards.

Comment

Working...
                                X