Help on water trough water pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to run a water line 1800' to three different water troughs in three different pastures. I had an extra stub coming out of my primary well that goes to the house coming out of my pressure tank. Max PSI 100 on the tank fyi. I have a 20' elevation drop from beginning to the end of the line. The stub coming out of the pressure tank is 3/4" and I am wondering if a 3/4" pvc line is going to be able to take care of those 3 troughs. Any help from the green screen would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I just ran 2,500 feet of 3/4" with a little rise at about 500' and placed an air relief valve there but had not problem. You may have to get a pressure reducer, 100 psi may be too much for your floats to handle. I'm running at 55 psi.

I only run to one trough though

Comment

If all 3 troughs are running at the same time, the volume and pressure may be a bit light but that should work. I agree with above post that 100 psi. is a bit much. 60 psi. is plenty.

Comment

There is a drop in elevation of 20 feet, forgot to put that. The pressure tank is max 100 psi, so I don't think it is at that level. All three troughs will be used at the same time but shouldn't have to refill much, except when cows are in it. Thanks for the input.

Comment

3/4" is too small for that distance technically but seems to have worked for those above

Comment

So now you have all 3 answers.

I would think that water troughs do not need much in the way of pressure and they do not need to fill rapidly. I have 4 troughs my my main line is 2". The troughs are fed by 1" line from the 2" and then that is reduced to 3/4". My problem is if I open the valves too much, there is so much pressure that the float will not fully close. So the valves are only opened a tad. My cows have never run out of water.

considering your 20' drop and PSI, and the fact that these will only need to run a low amount, I would think your set up should work just fine. If you are in doubt, call a licensed mast plumber or maybe one will on here will qualify themselves when they respond.

Comment

Not to steal the limelight from the OP, but I have a similar situation. I need to run a line about 1500ā€™ to install a trough. The big difference is mine has a 20ā€™ or so rise in elevation from the well house to where the trough will be. Iā€™m pretty sure my pressure at the well house is in the 50ā€™s. I was just gonna run black poly on top of the ground, but not sure what size to use???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
                3/4" is too small for that distance technically but seems to have worked for those above
                3/4 is not too small, I ran 2,500' and am fine. It passed all the friction loss ratios and elevations changes in the engineering design. I just needed an ARV at the high point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Not to steal the limelight from the OP, but I have a similar situation. I need to run a line about 1500ā€™ to install a trough. The big difference is mine has a 20ā€™ or so rise in elevation from the well house to where the trough will be. Iā€™m pretty sure my pressure at the well house is in the 50ā€™s. I was just gonna run black poly on top of the ground, but not sure what size to use???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  See if you can get a hold of an NRCS engineer to run the numbers. I have GIS and laid mine out and ran the elevation model to see if my 3/4 would work at my pressure. It doesn't take much to get it there. Trough may not fill up in 5 minutes but it doesn't need to if it is sized right for your herd.

Comment

Bigger is always better, but at the end of the day you will get water out of the other end of the pipe. If the anaimals are thirsty enough they will wait for the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      So now you have all 3 answers.

I would think that water troughs do not need much in the way of pressure and they do not need to fill rapidly. I have 4 troughs my my main line is 2". The troughs are fed by 1" line from the 2" and then that is reduced to 3/4". My problem is if I open the valves too much, there is so much pressure that the float will not fully close. So the valves are only opened a tad. My cows have never run out of water.

considering your 20' drop and PSI, and the fact that these will only need to run a low amount, I would think your set up should work just fine. If you are in doubt, call a licensed mast plumber or maybe one will on here will qualify themselves when they respond.
                      You can put in a pressure reducing valve at the beginning of your line and not have to worry how open your valve is.

Comment

Thanks for the info, good stuff to know. Let the trenching commence.

Comment

I use 3/4 poly pipe to all my troughs. One is 500 yards from well house. It works great.

Comment

I would use 1" pvc

Comment

Working...
                            X