Licensed Plumbers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licensed Plumbers??

WTH is going on in Austin?? I heard this morning that they zeroed the budget for the plumbing licensing agency.

I can do minor plumbing stuff, but when it comes to gas lines and major stuff, I want a licensed person to do the work!

Can we do anything at this point?

My BIL owns a large service co in Arlington. He says to early to tell but could possibly be taken over by Railway Commission or just be regulated by city/county municipalities. They wont let it go unchecked...

Comment

Cities will have regulations but if it pushes through then it will be wide open where cities can not regulate. I could show up and claim to be a plumber

Comment

there only 3 things you need to know. #1 payday is on Friday. #2 run everything down hill. # 3 dont chew your finger nails !

Comment

There is not an Austin plumbing board, but rather Texas state plumbing board so it affects everyone. The state legistartors didn't pass the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
            there only 3 things you need to know. #1 payday is on Friday. #2 run everything down hill. # 3 dont chew your finger nails !
            This statement right here is why they better figure something out . Because apparently everyone can be a plumber.

Comment

It is political but will work itself out in ways we will never understand!

All state agencies and boards are subject to a "Sunset Review" periodically and this time around the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners (TSBPE) got the hook.

The purpose of the board on paper is to license and regulate the plumbing industry. Politically speaking it is a way for politicians to say "hey look, we are watching out for the citizens of Texas" and also to collect money.

What's funny is the plumbing industry supports this entity financially via license fee's and to a smaller degree fines imposed on violations of the plumbing law.

In a perfect world this board should go after non-licensed people doing plumbing work. Problem is the fines imposed are up-held by the threat of loosing your license which these type of violators do not have in the first place. I.E. there is no money in it so they do not go after these type of folks!

Instead they press on the actual license holders for relatively BS violations.

Now this issue of abolishing the TSBPE is more than likely a result of political pressure from lobbyist representing the home building industry. These guys have their act together and have been trying successfully to dumb down the very restrictive licensing requirements in order to have more skilled/licensed labor available to build houses and multi-family living at a cheaper wage.

Follow the money! Always follow the money!

Once someone figures out they just threw out a chance to collect money the powers that be will get their hands back on this issue. I have read that the TDLR will take over this. They handle towing, barbers/cosmetology and electrical licensing among other things.

To leave this up to local municipalities will be a disaster. Imagine every city in Texas having free reign to make up stuff as they go. It is already bad enough that they can amend the building codes to suit their needs, usually with pressure from product manufacturers threatening to sue them if they do not approve the use of their product.

It is gonna get western for sure.

Comment

plumbers also supported the change. I have guys that have been waiting 8-9 months to take the journeyman test after they submitted their required credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                  LOL! I remember a plumber saying that to me!

Comment

Interesting. I didnt know that TDLR didn't cover plumbers licenses. They deal with nearly all other kinds of licensed trades.

Comment

Know how to tell the difference between a plumber and electrician??? Place them in a barrel of sh*t up to their neck, take 10 paces back and throw a brick at em. The plumber will duck every time!

Comment

The state will not forego licensing plumbers statewide. Letting this board expire will allow them to reinstitute a new board to draft new rules instead of changing and amending old code. Besides when have you ever seen a government entity give up revenue from licensing?

Comment

I bet they roll it into the TDLR. That's where it should be anyway. No reason license exams shouldn't be administered in a reasonable time frame, unless your goal is to discourage new licenses. Like posted above, You cannot turn the municipalities loose with something like this. I wouldn't want to own a structure that wasn't plumbed, wired, or A/C'd to proper standards, and the codebooks spell all of the standards out.

Comment

I don't like the idea. And I don't like change. Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners seems prestigious to me and I'm proud to hold a license and support them. Local enforcement doesn't do much to stop the bootleggers. It's a crappy situation.

Comment

I guess i am the only one who is for less govt regulation. There will always be good plumbers and bad, licensed or not. Licensing is just something to make a consumer feel good, make plumbers more money, and make the govt. money. It actually does little for quality control

Comment

Working...
                              X