Uncooked brown rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncooked brown rice

Odds are this hasn’t happened much but anyone ever thrown uncooked brown rice out for deer? Not rice bran but brown rice. Long story short we might have a pallet of 50# bags and I’m curious if they would eat it. Thanks

One time I was given a bunch of it so I filled my pig pipe with it and scattered it on the ground. Honestly there wasn't much interest from the pigs or deer in it from my experience. Now I also took some of it and dumped it in a tank after duck season was over to see if they would eat it and they wiped it out.

Comment

You might need to steam it and add butter-sauteed mushrooms.

Comment

With inflation and the price of food, might set aside a few bags for you and the fam!!

I am no help on if the deer will eat it or not, sorry.

Comment

gott'a work better than pea gravel

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
            gott'a work better than pea gravel
            ha I knew this would be in the comments pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
              With inflation and the price of food, might set aside a few bags for you and the fam!!

I am no help on if the deer will eat it or not, sorry.
              Yep, sounds like a good start on a survival kit. A few hundred pounds of dry rice can last for quite a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                Yep, sounds like a good start on a survival kit. A few hundred pounds of dry rice can last for quite a long time.

No kidding. I’d make a stash out of it if it was still any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                  Not brown rice, unless it is kept frozen. The oils in the unmilled rice will go rancid fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                    Not brown rice, unless it is kept frozen. The oils in the unmilled rice will go rancid fairly quickly.
                    It lasts a few months.

Feed for hog traps if not used….

Comment

I'd mix it 50/50 with corn in a/some piles on the ground. Or a small free choice feeder. And set a cam over it. Corn might get them interested in trying it.

Comment

I’m told axis like white rice. Idk about brown race. Could be a race thing. Not sure. Axis can’t talk.

Comment

Well I might have a pallet of bags in Dallas free to a good home, I’ll probably snag a few but not sure I want to dump 40

Comment

I use to bait hog traps with spoiled rice soaked in water. I worked a the rice belt warehouse got all the rotten stuff I could handle.

Comment

Just dump one bag with a bag of corn, and mix. Then put a cam on it and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X